Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Switching to Meteor

• 17-02-2006 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭

Is it possible to switch to Meteor from Vodafone and avail of the free texts offer, while still keeping my call credit and 087 number?
    Can this be done without buying a new phone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Unlikely I imagine in the case of the call credit. (I have never owned a credit phone so I don't know for sure). I can certainly tell you that you can retain your 087 number when you port across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

you can keep the number but will lose all credit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The free texts you need to topup by €20 a month to keep. As said though you'll keep your 087 number (it's called porting) but will loose the call credit (Why would Vodafone let you take your credit if you're leaving them?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

You wont get your vodafone call credit transfered so I would run it down before moving.

For their sim only deal you get €10 free credit a month for the first 5 months if you register and then top up by €20 (in one go) a month.

This deal runs consecutively with the free meteor2meteor texts/5c calls, so €20 top up a month gets you both deals.

Its pretty good imo. And they are cheaper anyhow....

My 087 number is living happily on meteor.

I thought it was 5c calls OR free Meteor to Meteor texts?

And if you have lots of credit, but can't afford a night out .. why not try a sex line ... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

ciaranfo is correct, its 5c calls OR free Meteor to Meteor texts. On top of that, the free texts offer existing at the moment is valid only until 2008, after that you're on your own again, unlike customers such as myself who were with meteor from before the original free texts for life offer ended! :D

I suggest if you can that you try and hunt down an old sim from that era if your interested in the free texts, i'm sure there's some people out there with a couple left for whatever reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i'd say they'll keep the offer going after 2008 but they just want the option of cancelling it. like how it was supposed to end on november 6th, then december 31st, now april 6th. yes i am sad for rememebering the dates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

yes i am sad for rememebering the dates

Just a tad.

But then, i'm jealous cos i couldn't, what does that make me? :v:

This deal runs consecutively with the free meteor2meteor texts/5c calls, so €20 top up a month gets you both deals.

a / = OR in my small world guys ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

But you said "both deals"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I suggest if you can that you try and hunt down an old sim from that era if your interested in the free texts, i'm sure there's some people out there with a couple left for whatever reason!

I have an old meteor sim which was around in the days of free texts for life, recently tried to reactivate it but meteor were having none of it, so that may not work anymore.

But you said "both deals"...

Lol so I did! However I meant the €10 free top up for 6 months and the Free Meteor2Meteor Texts. :D

skywalker wrote:
    I have an old meteor sim which was around in the days of free texts for life, recently tried to reactivate it but meteor were having none of it, so that may not work anymore.

Just out of interest - did they refuse to activate the sim itself - OR just the free texts bit???

Just out of interest - did they refuse to activate the sim itself - OR just the free texts bit???

they wont activate the sim. it happened to me. after a certain time they reassign the number so they cant give it back to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

Think its 12 months of not being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Taffy89

Would any Meteor converts reccomend it? Find 087 really expensive and they rarely have any offers or anything so was considering the switch!??

Taffy89 wrote:
    Would any Meteor converts reccomend it? Find 087 really expensive and they rarely have any offers or anything so was considering the switch!??

there is no good reason not to be on meteor payg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Also wanting to switch to meteor from vodafone, i assume i'd lose my vodafone email? (as i use my number to login)
    Is there anyway around this? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bazcaz

is there 300 free webtexts on meteor payg , ive heard friends sayn they have only 30 free a month

The_Fool - no way around it unless you get a new number from Meteor.

bazcaz - 300.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

The Fool wrote:
    Also wanting to switch to meteor from vodafone, i assume i'd lose my vodafone email? (as i use my number to login)
    Is there anyway around this? :confused:
    I lost my vodafone email... so I guess you would too, although the muppets in the shop said that I wouldn't...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bazcaz

So for pay as go on meteor how webtexts a month do I get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I lost my vodafone email... so I guess you would too, although the muppets in the shop said that I wouldn't...

Yeah, they're the muppets....

Who would of thought your Vodafone email would go? You might want to make sure that meteor haven't gotten rid of your vodafone voice mail aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

Yeah, they're the muppets....

Who would of thought your Vodafone email would go? You might want to make sure that meteor haven't gotten rid of your vodafone voice mail aswell!
    ouch... no need to be so harsh... all I said was that I asked in the shop and they told me that I would keep it.... it was something I hadn't thought too much about before hand, so I took their word for it. Maybe foolish of me, but it was something they should have known and warned me about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I'm sorry, that was harsh. They actually lied to me too about something and I believed them. I was very annoyed and they didn't care once they had me as a customer.

Not good business practice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

ciaranfo wrote:
    The_Fool - no way around it unless you get a new number from Meteor.

bazcaz - 300.

thanks, guess i'll switch to RTG and top up 5 euro once a year to keep sim active. Pain as i use email for CVs ect. :(

there is no good reason not to be on meteor payg

Well apart from 1 week late last year, when the bawstewards lost their international texting interconnects for a week and didnt notice. Since thats my main use of meteor their international txt rate being 40% less that o2 and voda, when I looked, I was rather miffed to find several dozen disappear into the ether....

• Advertisement
Advertisement