Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acquiring an A License in Ireland?

• 18-02-2006 3:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

How do you get an A License in Ireland? I'm French, I have a full B License and I would really like to get an A License now. Will I have to pass the theory test again? Can I just pass the test if I'm confident I'm good enough (don't worry I don't intend on doing so!)? Do I have to do a minimum number of lessons before taking the test? Is there a 6 year waiting period for the test (slight exaggeration obviously)?

Thank you for shedding some light on this if possible! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Will I have to pass the theory test again?
    Not if you've previously taken a theory test in Ireland for class A, A1, M, W or B.
    Can I just pass the test if I'm confident I'm good enough (don't worry I don't intend on doing so!)? Do I have to do a minimum number of lessons before taking the test? Is there a 6 year waiting period for the test (slight exaggeration obviously)?
    If you can drive the bike, you have the potential to pass. There are no lessons required, no minimum time needs to be spent on a provisional (unfortunately). I would certainly advise getting lessons with the good instructors though (IRTA among others).
    The wait for the test is the same as cars. Though the actual waiting times seem to be purely down to luck. I applied for a test and got the date 14 months later. I never made it to that test (long story - not my fault :)), but reapplied that day for another centre and had a date 6 months later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Thank you for your post Seamus! :)
    seamus wrote:
    Not if you've previously taken a theory test in Ireland for class A, A1, M, W or B.
    Sh!t... Dreading doing that again...
    seamus wrote:
    If you can drive the bike, you have the potential to pass. There are no lessons required, no minimum time needs to be spent on a provisional (unfortunately). I would certainly advise getting lessons with the good instructors though (IRTA among others).
    The wait for the test is the same as cars. Though the actual waiting times seem to be purely down to luck. I applied for a test and got the date 14 months later. I never made it to that test (long story - not my fault :)), but reapplied that day for another centre and had a date 6 months later...
    I'm definitely going to be taking lessons. Who are IRTA? Are they like ISM? Would you recommend them for bike lessons?
    I saw that ISM are charging €50 per hour for bike lessons (€400 for 10 hours). Is there anybody cheaper?
    And these waiting periods are crazy! What if I do, say, 10 hourly lessons in 1 month and have to wait 10 months to pass the test? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Thank you for your post Seamus! :)

Sh!t... Dreading doing that again...
    The theory test is very easy for anyone who can drive already. Just get the book and flick through every page, making sure you find the few difficult questions and remember the answers to those.

The wait time for the theory test is just a few weeks, not months. You should apply immediately and study the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm definitely going to be taking lessons. Who are IRTA? Are they like ISM? Would you recommend them for bike lessons?
    http://www.irishridertraining.com/
    I'd recommend them above ISM. Some of the IRTA guys also work for ISM, but it can be hit-and-miss. Other ISM instructors are just guys with full licences looking to make a few extra quid for themselves, they're lacking in any advanced qualification.
    I saw that ISM are charging €50 per hour for bike lessons (€400 for 10 hours). Is there anybody cheaper?
    Not really, but the other training places tend not to do one-hour lessons. They prefer to take you out for a day (6-8 hours). It works out at better value.
    And these waiting periods are crazy! What if I do, say, 10 hourly lessons in 1 month and have to wait 10 months to pass the test? :eek:
    Yep. But you can still ride on a provisional without a test or instructor with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.mrtg.ie/

They might be worth considering also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mickbyrne

I purchased my first motorbike in October 05. Rode it home from the shop (40miles) eventhough I'd only ever been on a bike once in my life. Herself wasn't best pleased.

When I got home I rang Chris O'Brien (an instructer on the AON Bikecare list - 'http://www.aon.com/ie/en/about/aon_ireland/pdf/instructorlisting.pdf') and asked him for lessons on how to handle and ride a bike properly. I didn't want to get into bad habbits from the off.

I passed my car test 9 years ago and had to do the theory test for the provisional bike licence. I passed(barely) without getting the book.

I also applied for the bike test on the same day as getting the bike. I did a two hour session with Chris a fortnight later purely concentrating on bike control etc. 7 Weeks after getting the bike I got a phone call from the testing centre to see if I could make it for a test the following firday (Yes - 8 Weeks after applying) I said I'd do it - Felt that the experience would be good, and could reapply again and do another in the summer.

I rang Chris again and arranged anoter two hour session - This time focusing on passing a test. - Did the test and PASSED! Got a couple of X's for failing to indicate properly - 'Bloody Harley indicators'.

Anyhow, Eventhough I now have my full licence I'm going to go back to Chris again and finish off lessons on how to RIDE a bike - Not how to pass a test.

Rgds - Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

seamus wrote:

I applied for a Category A test (in Finglas) and was called within six weeks. I failed and reapplied and was called again within six weeks (Passed that time).

I have found that the waiting time for tests other than that of category B are usually quite short (at least in Finglas anyway). I have a full licence in all categories and did all my tests in Finglas. Most came up within two or three months from the date of application.

Incidently, I had the same tester for the bike as I had for the 'artic'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nice0ne

I have an A1 provisional licence at the moment and have a Yamaha YBR 125. I've applied for the A1 test, should I have applied for the A test instead? Will I end up doing two tests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Nice0ne wrote:
    I have an A1 provisional licence at the moment and have a Yamaha YBR 125. I've applied for the A1 test, should I have applied for the A test instead? Will I end up doing two tests?

Yes, unless you are under 18 years of age.
    If you are over 18, and want to sit the A test instead of the A1, you will also have to get/borrow a bigger bike to sit the test. Something above 11Kw or whatever the A1 licence is for.

To change the test you have currently applied for, you will probably have to cancel it and reapply.

L.

You might as well sit the A1 test if it comes up of course-it'll mean a small refund on insurance if you have passed your test (no need to waste money getting the full A1 if you're applying for the A test though unless you really want to carry pillions or go abroad on your 125). The A1 is a waste of time if you're over 18!

• Advertisement

Can I do the A test then on my 125?

I presume i'd have to change to an A Provisional licence to do the A test?

Nice0ne wrote:
    Can I do the A test then on my 125?
    No, has to be ABOVE 125cc (practically speaking a 250 unless you have access to some obscure 150 or 200 or something).
    Nice0ne wrote:
    I presume i'd have to change to an A Provisional licence to do the A test?
    Yes, I'm afraid you do but if you've done the A1 (or B for that matter) theory test in the last 2 years then you don't need to do that again. The cert is valid for 24 months. In any other case you'll have to do the theory I'm afraid.

thanks for the info. I'll just for the A1 for now and worry about th A if I get a bigger bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Harley Man

When I move this summer to Ireland I'm going to need to get a license that allows both auto and motorcycle. I assume this will be an A license. Are these two seperate road test/theory tests (1 for auto and 1 for bike) and does each one take 12-14 months to get a test date?

Fortunately I can drive on my US license for 12 months.

Harley Man wrote:
    When I move this summer to Ireland I'm going to need to get a license that allows both auto and motorcycle. I assume this will be an A license. Are these two seperate road test/theory tests (1 for auto and 1 for bike) and does each one take 12-14 months to get a test date?

Fortunately I can drive on my US license for 12 months.
    You'll need an A (bike over 33hp) and a B (car) licence. The theory test is the same and you only need to do it the once. The theory test cert is valid for 2 years from issue. You must obtain the provisional (learner) licence within this period. You can apply for just one provisional licence and both categories will be printed on it.

The tests are a bit of a black art. If you enter the genral queue then your timelines are about right I'm afraid, but get a letter from your employer stating you need a licence and ask for a quick test (somebody else cancels and you take their spot).

Sorry the system's so sh!t here man. You could try to find out about other EU countries who have recprocal arrangements with the US and who may allow a straight swap depending on your state. Germany for example, allows direct swaps from Illinois. You would need a valid address in general to do this but maybe you have friends in other EU countries?

Any EU licence is perfectly valid in Ireland indefinitely.

hth.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Probably a silly question, but could you pass your test in another country, like the UK, without actually living there? Like, if it were possible to go to the UK to pass your bike test and then come home, how would you be fixed. I'm guessing there's some way that this is illegal otherwise we'd all be doing it to avoid the 2 year restriction!

SuprSi wrote:
    Probably a silly question, but could you pass your test in another country, like the UK, without actually living there? Like, if it were possible to go to the UK to pass your bike test and then come home, how would you be fixed. I'm guessing there's some way that this is illegal otherwise we'd all be doing it to avoid the 2 year restriction!
    My mate did his in Northern Ireland years ago. You'd need a UK address and a UK registered bike (you wouldn't be allowed do it on a foreign bike) and probably roof of insurance. If you have a mate in the UK you could well be able to do it by hiring a bike from a local school for the test.

God I just realised I never replied to this thread to thank you all for your expert advice! I apologise :o

I'm a bit strapped for cash at present but once the bank balance feels better I'll start looking into this again! So expect to hear from me soon! :D

Thanks again guys!

Actually I have a question:

If I get a provisional whilst waiting to pass the proper test, could I hypotetically 'drive' (or is it 'handle'?) a KTM 250 EXC? Or is that too powerful?

Is that KTM under/restricted to 25kW/33Bhp Steffano? If so it's fine for a provisional. I wouldn't be too concerned with it being too powerful for a learner to be honest, so long as you feel comfortable sitting on and handling it in the corners etc. You need a bit of power to get out of harm's way sometimes! (btw, I think the word you were looking for was 'ride'). :)

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote:
    Is that KTM under/restricted to 25kW/33Bhp Steffano? If so it's fine for a provisional.
    I don't know... I can't find any kW/bhp info on this bike anywhere... :(
    murphaph wrote:
    I wouldn't be too concerned with it being too powerful for a learner to be honest, so long as you feel comfortable sitting on and handling it in the corners etc. You need a bit of power to get out of harm's way sometimes!
    Not worried about power either with all the messing around I did on 250cc Honda CRs in my youth! :p
    murphaph wrote:
    (btw, I think the word you were looking for was 'ride'). :)
    Thank you! :D

Advertisement