Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House Floor Construction & Wooden Floors

Options
  • 18-02-2006 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Folks,

My builder wants to know if I am laying Solid or Semi Solid so that we can decide whether to lay sub floors or full floors. I'd appreciate some independent advice:

If he does sub floors and we ever took up the solid wood whats the impact?

If he does full floors and we later decide on solid wood whats the impact?

What would you do?

Thx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

Drop floor levels then you have the choice afterwards, if you don't drop the levels and decide on solid you will have different levels in your flooring between say tiles and timber flooring.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

PoolDude wrote:
    Folks,
    If he does sub floors and we ever took up the solid wood whats the impact?

For this usually the floor is kept down maybe about 70mm (I've seen them kept down more and less) You then put down 2"x2" and nail the solid timber floor to these
    If the floor is kept level you'll probaly have to put down a floating floor where the floor is laided without being nailed to anything. One advantage with this is the floor can be replaced with carpet or whatever easily if tired of the timber floor where as with the lower floor you'd have to put down plywood first

I would say the same as the last poster go for the sub floor and you can decide after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭anon1

Are you putting more insulation between the battens? Might help deaden sound as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Does anyone know if you can or the problems if you put solid wooden floors on batons over the sub floor and only put finished floors in areas where you are tiling or carpetting?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

That is effectively what my builder is suggesting if and where we are going with Solid timber floors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement