Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

utv cap back to download only

• 18-02-2006 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

strangely i am reconnected after being cut off on the 8th for exceeding
    my "transfer" allowance

the upload portion of my cap that i used has been given back to me
    so i have a few gigs to spare

looks like the 12gb has been changed to download only....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Yep - not official just yet, but Carl from UTV announced it in the newsgroup yesterday evening:
    Today the cap was changed from usage back to download only. I
    haven't been given any official announcement about this, but it's my
    team that look after the capping mechanism.

I'm hoping to get something official come Monday. I know the customers
    who were cut off for over-usage have been re-enabled, and all the folk
    who received warnings will need to be contacted.

IIRC there was no actual announcement about us changing the caps to
    usage in the first place, and the same may happen again. :/ Even so,
    I'm pretty sure that the amount of customer complaints generated over
    this issue is what directly forced the reversal. Roll on the next
    gripe. :)

Carl.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

tomk wrote:
    Yep - not official just yet, but Carl from UTV announced it in the newsgroup yesterday evening
    ".....I'm pretty sure that the amount of customer complaints generated over
    this issue is what directly forced the reversal...".
    :

UTV have not listened to their customers for about two years so I don't buy that one.

My guess it was:

1. the loss of customers/revenue
    2. a few solicitors letters
    3 the bad publicity putting off potential new customers

that forced a rethink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Well maybe we can get utv to actually give us our proper download speeds again too. Im on the plus package and im ment to be getting what ? 3mb? Ha fat chance, when i was on the 2mb one before the upgrade i got close to 2mb but now since the upgrade i havent seen my connection over 1500kbps ??? WTF!? Another thing that happens is when i go to play a game or download something large if my connection is actaully running faster that 1mbps my modem suddenly disconnects then reconnects at a lower speed. Im getting fairly pissed off at utv :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

R0ot wrote:
    Well maybe we can get utv to actually give us our proper download speeds again too. Im on the plus package and im ment to be getting what ? 3mb? Ha fat chance, when i was on the 2mb one before the upgrade i got close to 2mb but now since the upgrade i havent seen my connection over 1500kbps ??? WTF!? Another thing that happens is when i go to play a game or download something large if my connection is actaully running faster that 1mbps my modem suddenly disconnects then reconnects at a lower speed. Im getting fairly pissed off at utv :mad:

Have you checked your line quality? some lines and modems seem to be having difficulty in dealing with the speed upgrades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Is the download limit already gone up to 12 this month ye? I thought it wasnt untill next month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

dub45 wrote:
    Have you checked your line quality? some lines and modems seem to be having difficulty in dealing with the speed upgrades.

Line quality isnt bad, but the thing is back in the day when it was just 2mbps i could actaully get the 2048kbps download sometimes, though it would usually be around 1500kbps but now the whole thing seems to have said feck off to me and is around 900kbps all the time. It does seem to spring back up to 1240kbps at night around 12 midnight onwards, which led me to think are utv limiting my bandwidth? But the only time in there T&C's where it says theyll do this is if your an 'Unlimited' customer. :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

R0ot wrote:
    Line quality isnt bad, but the thing is back in the day when it was just 2mbps i could actaully get the 2048kbps download sometimes, though it would usually be around 1500kbps but now the whole thing seems to have said feck off to me and is around 900kbps all the time. It does seem to spring back up to 1240kbps at night around 12 midnight onwards, which led me to think are utv limiting my bandwidth? But the only time in there T&C's where it says theyll do this is if your an 'Unlimited' customer. :(

I doubt if UTV are limiting you - if it goes up in and around midnight it sounds like you are experiencing contention - normal people go to bed around midnight:)

Perhaps there is not enough bandwidth available since the upgrades - would not be surprised if things get sorted out over the next while.

have you checked to see if you there is any firmware upgrade available for your modem?

Advertisement