Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling trip from Dublin to Glendalough, any advice?

Options
  • 18-02-2006 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Im a leisure cyclist organising a 3 day cycling trip to Glendalough for my friends and I. Havent gleaned much info from the net. Am looking for advice on routes, times, traffic, difficulty, places to stay etc. anything you can offer would be received gratefully.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

3 days? It won't even take 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The route via Kilakee and the Sally Gap is nice. You'll do it in a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Other alternatives:

1: Tallaght, Embankment, Brittas, Kilbride, Sally Gap, turn right, Laragh, Glendalough.

2: As above, but after Kilbride, continue around the Blessington lakes then Valleymount, Wicklow Gap, Glendalough. This is probably the longest route, but is very scenic.

You'll need some low gears as these routes involve some steep and som long climbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 whyamihere?

great stuff, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Was out there today (sally gap - roundwood road) and there was a good bit of snow around. You'll need a good windstopper and maybe an extra pair of socks and some shoe covers ideally if you have them. Full finger gloves too for sure. Don't let the sunshine fool you. I don't have shoe covers so my feet were pretty numb... would have died without the rest of the stuff though. Essential!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Buy an Ordnance Survey Discovery Series No 56 map, available at most good booksellers (Easons).
    Avoid places with the word "Gap" in the name. They are very high and you will be wrecked from the climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Full finger gloves too for sure.

Agreed - I went down the Lagan tow-path there yesterday in fingerless gloves and I was prising the hands off the handlebars by the time I got home!

Advertisement