Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new Raptor reality

Options
  • 18-02-2006 11:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Yes dear friends, best laid plans come to pass. :)
    Within the next week i shall have in my posession four (4) WD Raptors running in RAID 0, add to this i have the latest firmware revision for all four drives, FLC0.

As much as four 150GB Raptors sound nice a price tag of €1250 is hard to swallow. Even though i hear WD are releasing a new single platter 74GB drive based on the new 150 i am still most pleased.

Based on reviews of this new 74GB Raptor i may or may not sell these four and buy four more...does that make sense? ;)

I'll post some HD Tach number when the beast is unleashed. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Nice! Very impressive setup. I've tried RAID 0 before though and would never use it again. You mustn't be putting anything important on those drives?!!?

This is something I saw a few months back, made me severely doubt RAID performance. I had always thought my system was a bit faster at loads when in RAID 0, but it was most likely the placebo effect.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1001325
    http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=21621&st=0&p=221874&#entry221874

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

SO ur pc will load a few seconds quicker, as will ur apps... whats the rush??

Wont make ur games run faster etc... Wizzard had a load of probs trying to recover data from his raid 0 setup, id never use it.. tried it once n dont see the point.. im right in thinking that if u have the 4 in raid 0 if 1 goes u loose everything?? if so thats a complete waste in my eyes...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF) for a Raptor is 1.2 million hours.

That's 136 Years, so while the benefits of RAID0 can be debated, the argument about loss of data holds NO water.

Inqui

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

unklerosco wrote:
    SO ur pc will load a few seconds quicker, as will ur apps... whats the rush??

Wont make ur games run faster etc... Wizzard had a load of probs trying to recover data from his raid 0 setup, id never use it.. tried it once n dont see the point.. im right in thinking that if u have the 4 in raid 0 if 1 goes u loose everything?? if so thats a complete waste in my eyes...

lol...so, if i loose anything i start a fresh install. I have never once lost my RAID array.

Speed man, it's a top of the line setup!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Raid 0 with 4 raptors. Thats suicidal if you ask me. I noticed nothing with 2 ratpors in raid 0. I reckon performance benefit will be really small. Not worth the risk of having anyone of those drives failing.

• Advertisement

But why do u need 4?? Thats 296 gigs... What takes up that much space that u are willing to loose and reinstall??? 2 x 36gigs would make more sense id have thought..

Each to there own i suppose..

2x36 gigs has no point at all since the 74 gig will beat it in most things. 2x74 has no point either since the 150 gig beats that. I'm not sure what to think about the 4x150 though.... it is definitely intruiging! Its probably the most excessive setup i can imagine a home user having.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you'd be crazy to spend 1200 euros on hard drives though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It doesn't seem to be capacity, but speed he wants, and the 150gb raptor has the most speed (hence why he said he may change them for 74gb ones if there's a new revision).

Sounds like he has another drive soley for backup, which means he can handle 1 of 3 drives disappearing off the face of the earth without losing data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

unklerosco wrote:
    Wont make ur games run faster etc...
    Why not?
    I just got a 74GB one for the purpose of OS and programs on one partition (15-20GBs), and games on another!

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote:
    It doesn't seem to be capacity, but speed he wants, and the 150gb raptor has the most speed (hence why he said he may change them for 74gb ones if there's a new revision).

Sounds like he has another drive soley for backup, which means he can handle 1 of 3 drives disappearing off the face of the earth without losing data.

Don't quite get you astrofool.... when any of the 4 drives in the RAID 0 fails, you lose all the data on all 4 drives.

They'll load faster but u wont see any more fps.

I had a 75gb raptor n sold it after a weeks use, u only see a few seconds difference in load times over a decent drive. The noise of it drove me mad, n i need those extra seconds to eat me biscuits ;-p

Cremo wrote:
    you'd be crazy to spend 1200 euros on hard drives though.

Exactly...i couldn't justify €1250 on four 150GB Raptors, i could justify buying four 74GB. I probably should have waited until the new 74GB models come out...but what the hell, if reviews are positive i can always sell my four new Raptors and buy the new models, it's only money. ;)

In theory the new 74g raptors should match the 150g ones for performance shouldn't they ?

I'd consider a new 74g one if theyre as fast as the 150g ones. Always nice to get into the Quake 4 server first and get the Rail before everyone else :D

Four 150GB Raptors in RAID 0?...no, the reason is the higher density per platter. 75GB as oppsed to 36.7GB.

16MB cache dosen't seem to make much difference according to reviews of various drives i've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

4 drives raid0 is old news, i got 4 x 36gig raptors already :D

hehehe

good luck with the new drives, id say u willl get sweet speeds out of it.

is it worth upgrading the firmware on harddrives? or best to leave it with watever is on it?

add to this i have the latest firmware revision for all four drives, FLC0. :D

oh BTW

where can u download firmware for wd raptors?? not available through wd's website

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Inquitus wrote:

That's 136 Years, so while the benefits of RAID0 can be debated, the argument about loss of data holds NO water.

Inqui

One of my Raptors had to be replaced in a RAID 0 setup, No media on it so I dont have to worry about recovery. Its annoying having to reinstall everything but I'd still recommend raptors and western digital for their speed and reliabilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Inquitus wrote:

Inqui

Mean Time.

Gravity.

These are two compelling arguments for data loss. HDDs die. Raid0 halves the MBTF of a 2-disk array.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

seams like a lot of money for a small proformance boost. would u not have put the money into processor or graphics upgrading. thoes markets moves a lot faster that storage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

1250euro for 300gigs of space :confused: , so that the pc runs a few seconds faster, sillyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

Why dont you buy a Ram Drive, or 2 for raid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

1250euro for 300gigs of space :confused: , so that the pc runs a few seconds faster, sillyness.

Is it not 600gigs of space as his getting 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

BadCharlie wrote:
    Is it not 600gigs of space as his getting 4.

Oh, misread, thought he was going for the 74gig, its still madness though. If it doesnt affect gameplay it aint worth it. What are the actuall benefits besides programs opening a few split seconds faster?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

ffs what a waste of money should have got a few 500gbs hdds & 1 Raptor

I think for 1200 euro I would have gotten 4 gigs of RAM in a gigabye I-RAM thingy. Well I probably would have just saved my money and bought a bunch of 300 gig drives and RAID-5'd them I guess.
    It's still a very impressive setup though.

You need to get a few gigabit NICs in that PC now for the ungodly data transfer speed it's gonna be able to push over a network.

You need to get a few gigabit NICs in that PC now for the ungodly data transfer speed it's gonna be able to push over a network.

might be a stupid question, but can windows "stack" gigabit connections? ie if u have 2 connections it can manage that as one 2gig connection?

like i have a gigabit lan running at home, is it worth me putting 2 x gigabit nics into each machine to have a 2 gig network?? Or am i way off the mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Very much doubt they stack...would expect some sort of controller would be required.

Inquitus wrote:
    Very much doubt they stack...would expect some sort of controller would be required.
    Yeah I doubt it aswell, just meant for separate network transfers at the same time.

Speaking of network transfers, just found this very handy little app. Should come in trés handy at gamecon this weekend... "Advanced Lan Pump" http://www.softsolo.com/?action=10 . Seen a few like it before but this one looks nice and simple, unlike a few I've seen before. Anyone have any recommendations for simliar or better programs ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

gline wrote:
    might be a stupid question, but can windows "stack" gigabit connections? ie if u have 2 connections it can manage that as one 2gig connection?

like i have a gigabit lan running at home, is it worth me putting 2 x gigabit nics into each machine to have a 2 gig network?? Or am i way off the mark?

EtherChannel/Channel Bonding/"Trunking".
    Windows: Depends on the capabilities of the driver and end-device (switch), but yeah. Sometimes.
    *nix: Yes.

Advertisement