Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new Raptor reality

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah I doubt it aswell, just meant for separate network transfers at the same time.

Speaking of network transfers, just found this very handy little app. Should come in trés handy at gamecon this weekend... "Advanced Lan Pump" http://www.softsolo.com/?action=10 . Seen a few like it before but this one looks nice and simple, unlike a few I've seen before. Anyone have any recommendations for simliar or better programs ?

http://filezilla.sourceforge.net - daemon and client. If you're still using Windows FileSharing (SMB/CIFS), I suggest you liberate yourself. It should never be enabled at lans as it is unreliable, inefficient, slow poison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

poggy wrote:
    seams like a lot of money for a small proformance boost. would u not have put the money into processor or graphics upgrading. thoes markets moves a lot faster that storage.

Well i have a 7800GTX and San Diego 4000+ @ 2.6Ghz. Can't justify an FX-57 or 60 right now. Too close to AM2.

1250euro for 300gigs of space :confused: , so that the pc runs a few seconds faster, sillyness.

600GB for four 150GB Raptors. Four 74GB drives.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

SyxPak wrote:
    http://filezilla.sourceforge.net - daemon and client. If you're still using Windows FileSharing (SMB/CIFS), I suggest you liberate yourself. It should never be enabled at lans as it is unreliable, inefficient, slow poison.

Yeah I've run an FTP on my pc for ages now for letting people leech off me. It's a bit more awkward though because the people can't just browse and find you, they have to know your IP and all that. I find it causes a ridiculous amount of CPU overhead at gigE speeds aswell...

Agreed that SMB is cack, but it's pretty much all you have to work with when very few other people will be running FTP's and they all want to just "right click -> share"

New Raptors up and running, they are all dated November 25th 2005...day after my birthday. HD Tach is giving me better numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

is this a soft or hard RAID setup RD?

If it was me, id grab a 15K U320 instead. Lower latency ;)

Running off the nForce4 Ultra controller using the latest 5.10.2600.553 SATA RAID drivers dated September 7th 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

well i have 1 raptor (the 74gb one) in a raid 0 config :D;):p

to be honest i use it for the os and games but eventually the plan is just for os and i will whack in a 250gb one for games et al.

i have to say i find it very fast with the os but thats cos i have xp, so the less time i have to look at the fecken startup screen the better...

it is loud..but is it worth it, i suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder...to me one of them is but thats all

good for you if you have the spons for this, i dont, unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

well i have 1 raptor (the 74gb one) in a raid 0 config :D;):p

to be honest i use it for the os and games but eventually the plan is just for os and i will whack in a 250gb one for games et al.

i have to say i find it very fast with the os but thats cos i have xp, so the less time i have to look at the fecken startup screen the better...

it is loud..but is it worth it, i suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder...to me one of them is but thats all

good for you if you have the spons for this, i dont, unfortunately...

it isnt raid0 if you only have 1 drive.... it isnt even raid at all, it is just a single drive :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah I've run an FTP on my pc for ages now for letting people leech off me. It's a bit more awkward though because the people can't just browse and find you, they have to know your IP and all that.
    Get something like SuperScan4, enter in the IP range you wish to scan, look for port 21 and hit go.

*tadda*
    I find it causes a ridiculous amount of CPU overhead at gigE speeds aswell...

Agreed that SMB is cack, but it's pretty much all you have to work with when very few other people will be running FTP's and they all want to just "right click -> share"
    You'll have the same problem with SMB, except you can do very little to fix it.
    You don't *have* to let people soak up your bandwidth and cpu, drop the priority of the ftpd and impose thread and speed limits on accounts. If people are at a lan, they're not being charged for bandwidth so if it takes 20secs instead of 10 to copy 1Gig, they're hardly being put out. Besides, just leaving your smb shares open to the world is going to leave you in a worse state as you'vevery little control, people can't really pause their transfers and it doesn't support any sort of intelligent queue structure. It's a trivial matter to resume FTP transfers at a later date. Going to play atournie match? Shutdown your ftp. The clients will auto-retry later when you bring it back up again.

• Advertisement

I have to say that my new drives with firmware FLC0 are much quieter then my older FLA0 drives...alot. It could be i didn't have the old drives mounted or secured properly. But these new one's are real silent.

I have to say that my new drives with firmware FLC0 are much quieter then my older FLA0 drives...alot. It could be i didn't have the old drives mounted or secured properly. But these new one's are real silent.

is there any way of upgrading the firmware on raptors?

Sadly not gline, i explored this myself. Storagereview.com have a forum thread about this very question. WD don't allow for flashing tools and firmware upgrades...which is silly imo.

Sadly not gline, i explored this myself. Storagereview.com have a forum thread about this very question. WD don't allow for flashing tools and firmware upgrades...which is silly imo.

damn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

May I be the first to congratulate you on your new e-penis.

Good lord, this is a bizarre forum.

Why?....can you not just LIKE computers and technology without reading more into things than is nesscary?

These comments always happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Why?....can you not just LIKE computers and technology without reading more into things than is nesscary?

These comments always happen.

That's not liking computers and technology. That's wasting a ludicrous amount of money, then coming on here to show off. The e-penis bit is by allusion to the sort of people who buy 100,000 euro cars to show off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Its not somthing I could be arsed doing, but I wouldnt shoot someone down for trying it! Besides, we need people to try this sort of stuff as its a much cheaper way of evaluating the benefits.

Its not somthing I could be arsed doing, but I wouldnt shoot someone down for trying it! Besides, we need people to try this sort of stuff as its a much cheaper way of evaluating the benefits.

yeh we need willing "mugs" , ehem, i mean "testers", hehehee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

gline wrote:
    it isnt raid0 if you only have 1 drive.... it isnt even raid at all, it is just a single drive :rolleyes:

dude...hence the laughing characters...it was my poor attempt at humour...

• Advertisement

dude...hence the laughing characters...it was my poor attempt at humour...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

rsynnott wrote:
    That's not liking computers and technology. That's wasting a ludicrous amount of money, then coming on here to show off. The e-penis bit is by allusion to the sort of people who buy 100,000 euro cars to show off with.

Yes but the 100,000 euro car might help you get laid more. 4 shiney new hard drives are not (unless someone knows a few very kinky ladies) going help in that department.

Therefore I congradulate you on your fractionally faster windows load time. May it bring you great joy :)

Dundhoone wrote:

Therefore I congradulate you on your fractionally faster windows load time. May it bring you great joy :)

bah who said modding/tweaking was about practicallity and sensibleness.. far from it my friend, also id like to know those type of ladies you were talking about also :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

*Gline suddenly becomes a pimp-daddy*

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Has anyone seen anything about using 74gig raptors in Raid0 with different firmware? I've seen a post here somewhere saying that the setup will run as fast as the slowest firmware drive, but that doesn't all the time prove out. Some drives with different firmwares but same model actually show as a huge drop in Raid performance.

Richard - I imagine that you've done a bit of research on the raptors... you ever seen anything about this?

Advertisement