Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick veryloud95fm !!!

• 18-02-2006 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Being a keen radio buff, I usually scan the airwaves anytime I travel around the country. Last weekend I was in Limerick so found Limerick's live95fm owned I think by UTV. This is the loudest station I have ever heard !! with audio compression on the high side of extreme and even worse, no apparent adjustment for any program including classical and opera !! Maybe their sound engineer is deaf ! what ya say ? And yes I know their jnlr figures are better than ever (good on 'em !) but do Limerick people have a hearing problem ? ( no insult intended !) but my ears are still ringing :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Its not hard to be number one when you are the only one.

As for their audio levels, they are probably adjusted by someone who shags off back to belfast and cannot hear the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

It's done on purpose, the casual listener will subconsciously stick with the louder station. It's a common ploy by broadcasters.

In the past both 98fm and fm104 in Dublin had a bit of a compression 'battle', so much so that they eventually maxed out and had to cut back on their levels because it just wasn't pleasent to listen to them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johnnyvee

Ya - there's loud and then there's LOUD !! I lived in Dublin and Cork for quite a few years and have heard most stations in Ireland. 2fm can be quite loud at times (it changes throughout the day to suit) but still sounds ok, 98fm in Dublin is a beautiful sound, top marks - fm104 and Cork's redfm sound quite similar probably because they are owned by the same people, 96fm in Cork a great sound too but live95fm is the loudest station I have ever !!! How can you use the same compression for classical music and dance !! It's just laziness ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I never noticed it was any louder,,, i dont really listen to it much any more, ever since i found The Blast ... i dont leave the dial just parked at live 95fm.

Live 95fm has a good bit of competition!!!
    RHR 107.2fm
    Wired FM 96.8 (and something else)
    Radio Limerick One (being there main competition)
    West Limerick FM (thats for the county, not the city)
    and also all the national stations!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

I never noticed it was any louder,,, i dont really listen to it much any more, ever since i found The Blast ... i dont leave the dial just parked at live 95fm.

Live 95fm has a good bit of competition!!!
    RHR 107.2fm
    Wired FM 96.8 (and something else)
    Radio Limerick One (being there main competition)
    West Limerick FM (thats for the county, not the city)
    and also all the national stations!!
    theres even a lot more than that
    can't remember them all but heres some of them
    clare fm, beat, tipp mwr
    argh ive gone blank ill have to get back to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

they can be picked up in Live95fm's service area but not all of them are directed at Limerick people, namely

Clare FM
    Radio Kerry
    Cork's 96 and 103 FM
    Red Fm
    Tipp FM
    TMWRFM
    Beat 102-103 in certain parts of the county.

In Limerick you have

Wired FM (off in Summer)
    RHR
    West Limerick 102
    The new south west regional station (from 2007)
    RLO (pirate)
    Galtee (Pirate)
    Then the nationals

RTE 1 and 2
    Today FM
    Newstalk (from October)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Some of the "engineers" on these stations think that loud audio equals strong signal and the public generally percieves this to be the case even if its not true. Take WLR in Waterford who have lowish modulation but keep the dynamic range within the signal, I've heard Live 95 with their loud mod but they're cutting off freqs, the casual listener wouldnt really notice anyway, audiophiles will. Check out the BBC audio on FM, low mod but leaving plenty of headspace for their top notch audio quality.

Advertisement