Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suggest some nice finger food/canapes?

• 18-02-2006 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi
    Its got so expensive going out for a night on the tiles that we have started having friends around for drinks at the weekends instead, I know about the usual chip n dip, pringles etc but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for recipes for nice finger food to serve.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Yumminess: Buy/make some caramelised onion chutney. (Marks do a nice one)

Sauté some onions, peppers, wild mushrooms.

Purchase some nice goats cheese. (again, Marks do a nice one at a reasonable price)

Buy some frozen Puff Pastry.

Thaw pastry thoroughly, roll out very thin.

Spread over chutney & sautéed veg, cruble over goats cheese.

Cut into strips & pop into the oven for 10 mins. Yummy, and brilliant for last minute drinkies.

Also Houmous: Blend tin of chickpeas, butterbeans, tablespoon of tahini, juice of 1 lemon, 2 cloves of garlic, splash of sesame oil, tablespoon of cold water if it gets too firm. Serve with batons of raw carrot.

Tzatziki: Grate cucumber and squeeze out excess juice. (drink the juice- it's good for you) Add raw crushed garlic to taste, (I use about three large cloves, but I have a bit of a garlic addiction) salt, yoghurt (Total yoghurt if you can get it- some Tesco's stock it. It's the only authentic Greek Yoghurt in Ireland) and a good decent splash of olive oil. Serve with carrot as before, & toasted Pitta.

Baba Ganoush: Roast halved aubergines. When soft, scoop out & mash with tahini, a teaspoon of toasted cumin, lemon juice, salt.

How about tortilla chips on a baking tray, dotted with pickled jalapeño slices and grated cheese? Pop into oven until bubbly and serve w/ salsa and yoghurt.

Foccacia: Blend a packet of instant yeast with warm water, add salt, sugar, strong flour sifted and olive oil. Leave to prove, knock back, pop in a roasting tray, mash with your finger to make holes, drizzle over olive oil and cover with sliced tomatoes, slivered garlic & herbs. Pop into an oven, slice and serve warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Potato tortilla on buttered baguette slices.

Sliced chorizo or chorizo sausage cooked in red wine.
    Get some baguettes - slice em, and spread Boursin (garlic)
    or Rondele/President on it.
    Lash the chorizo on it.. YUMM.
    The red wine one is better - and you can mop up the remainder of
    the goo with your bread.

Erm..
    Meatballs -
    Mix up in a bowl..
    Mince, pepper, salt, garlic, parmesan*, LOADS of parsley & beaten egg.
    Mix it all up - if it looks a bit gooey - lash in some bread crumbs.

Shape into balls and plop into a pot with a can of tomatoes.
    You don't have to do anything to the tomatoes - just let the
    meatballs poach in them. Cover and bring to the boil.
    After about 15 mins turn the balls - and you can let it bubble away
    until the tomato gets nice and saucy.

* I use Grana Padano - from M&S.. it is the dog's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

quick n' easy,
    ritz biscuits and a cheese board (I don't think you need instructions!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Mini pizzas? Make your own with dough or pre made rolls and add tomato sauce, mozzarella and whatever toppings you want. Warm in the oven so cheese melts.

You could use the tortilla suggestion from earlier and make it a whole mexican night? Get chicken, beef, or quorn, salsa mix, guacamole, sauces, lettuce, sour cream and whatever else you may want. Leave all the ingredients out so people can make their own tortilla wraps or tacos. All you have to do is heat the sauce and meat and lay the rest out so guests can help themselves. I did this once and it takes no time at all to prepare and everyone can eat as much as they want.

Advertisement