Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Cup 2006, Group Stage: Round One

• 18-02-2006 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Fixtures:

Group One:

Portadown vs Cork City, Shamrock Park (7.45pm)
    Drogheda Utd vs Dungannon Swifts, United Park (7.45pm)

Group Two:

Linfield vs Derry City, Windsor Park (8.00pm, live on Setanta Sports)
    Shelbourne vs Glentoran, Tolka Park (7.45pm)

Shels Team News:

Jason Byrne and Alan Moore are both suspended, while Richie Baker will definitely miss out through injury. Stewie Byrne is only back training one week and played just 15 minutes in the friendly mid-week against Shamrock Rovers, so he will be likely to have to settle for a place on the bench. Liam Kearney and Glen Crowe both picked up ‘dead legs’ in that game, but both are expected to available and fit for selection.

Potentially a good time for Shels to play Glentoran, with their side going through a transition to a new manager. Hopefully we'll have a repeat of the European games from last year, although they are in the middle of their season and we have only a handful of pre-season games under our belt, in a reversal of the situation from 2005.

In terms of the competition itself, so much hinges on the Derry-Linfield games. A group of fans from both sides met up during the week in a show of solidarity, lets hope there isn't too much to talk about on Tuesday morning (except the football of course!). 27 games to be played in total, have to say I'm really looking forward to it. Now to get Monday evening off work... :mad:

Domestic football returns!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    [
    Linfield vs Derry City, Windsor Park (8.00pm, live on Setanta Sports)

Domestic football returns!

No offence to the other teams, but this game is the only one that matters and hopefully it will matter to everyone.

Up Derry !!!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

fingers crossed! if it goes good 5-10 years and it'll be here. EL fans know what i mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Although Linfield won the Setanta Cup last year vs Shels, Glentoran were hammered by Shels in the Champions League.

Interesting to see the difference in standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Glentoran were in pre-season at the time though, while Shels were in the middle of their season. Completely the reverse this time around, so it'll certainly be interesting.

Shels are definitely without Jason Byrne and Alan Moore after their indiscipline in last seasons final, and there are doubts over Joey Ndo, and Stewie Byrne.

Shelsweb's guesstimated team is...

Delaney

--Heary----Dillon
    Rogers----Cahill

--Ryan----O'Halloran--Crawford---Kearney---

O'Neill
    Crowe

... with Williams, S. Byrne, Harris, Hawkins and Reynolds on the bench.

Would prefer Hawkins to Dillon as I feel he was one of our most consistent players last year, but other than that its probably our strongest line-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Linfield and Derry should be good..

City vs Portadown, City should win, portadown arent the team they were last year and they're missing a few tonight.

I reckon city will go 4-3-3, with O'Flynn, Fenn and Behan up top, and Gamble, O'Callaghan and O'Donovan in the middle.

Will those two Judasas actually start for shels tonight yeah??

• Advertisement

Well I'm not sure about O'Halloran but Kearney certainly should. Nearly every Shels player is a "Judas" at this stage...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Portadown 0-1 Cork City

Neal Fenn '22

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Linfield 1-0 Derry City

Thompson scores. Keeper with a bad mistake.

Shelbourne 1-0 Glentoran - Bobby Ryan

Linfield 1-1 Derry City - Mark Farren (Pen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ports 1 -1 Cork City (HT)

Im told it was George O Callaghan for City, and a horrific mistake gifting Ports their equaliser.

Drogs 1 - 0 Swifts

Shels 2 - 0 Glentoran

Linfield 1 - 1 Derry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Was at the Shels match but missed the 1st 2 goals.

Shels totally dominated the game.

Saw the goals at half time. Glen Crowe scored a lob from near the half way line.

Ok result for Cork City tonight. 1-1 is a good result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I await MrJoesoaps match report , i have no doubt that while im writing this he is watchng the warm down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Found the Linfield and Derry match very enjoyable. Derry should of won, had the better of the chances late in the second half.

missed all the games was working can anyone give me a short synapsis

Decent result for City in what was supposedly a fairly poor game in front of an awful attendance, about 500.

Drogs beat Swifts 1 - 0 to top group A.

Next up on TV is City Vs Drogs at Turners Cross. Should be a good game, as both now have a good 90 minutes of competitive action behind them, against fully fit opposition.

Based on tonights results, its not boding well for the Northern clubs, but then its way to early to make a rash, sweeping generalisation like that at this early stage.

Sarge wrote:
    I await MrJoesoaps match report , i have no doubt that while im writing this he is watchng the warm down :)

That is eerily close to correct, though maybe a few minutes out. I hung around for a while to see if Weso had stuck about but to no avail. Said hello to Jayo and Rennie before slowly walking to the train station where I had a nice 40 minute wait. Too much detail...

Anyway!

More of the same Shelbourne, please!!! :D:D:D

Domestic football is back with a bang at Tolka! Apologies if every sentence has an exclamation mark but it really was that kind of a night. Shels lined up as expected only with Rogers on the bench instead of Hawkins.

Right from the off, Shels were in control. Most of the play was in the Glentoran half, but Morris wasn't really troubled between the Glens sticks until the first goal on the half hour. Coming from a quick throw in down the right iirc, O'Neill and Heary combined well on the right before Ryan finished with a sweet looping effort, similar in some ways to Alan Moore's goal against Rovers a week ago. The keeper might be disappointed but we don't really care!

If that goal was sweet, then I don't quite know what to say about the second, just 5 minutes later. Glen Crowe, fully 40 yards out, after some tussling with a Glens midfielder, spots the keeper marginally off his line... The rest is history. It was one of those goals that seemed to hang for ages (from the back of the new stand anyway), and practically everyone in the ground was stunned in silence for a couple of seconds before the place just erupted. One of the best goals Tolka Park has ever seen. Shels continued to press and Glentoran finished the first half without having even troubled Delaney.

The third goal came 15 minutes into the second half, I'm still not sure if Crowe got the last touch but he'll no doubt be claiming it. Again came after some good movement by Shels down the right flank. The rest of the game was reasonably quiet (on the pitch at least), with a good save by Morris from a Jamie Harris header being the only real point of note. Again, it was almost complete Shels pressure. A superb win against a team in the middle of their season and supposedly fully fit. Couldn't really have asked for anything more.

Finally, something really has to be said about the Shels fans tonight. For all the stick we may take about our numbers, we didn't half make some noise tonight. The consistent chanting in the second half was unbelievable, you did yourselves proud lads. Hope Weso realises what he's missing now.

Delaney 6
    (Had almost nothing to do)
    Heary 8 (Got forward at every opportunity as only Heary does, the Irish Cafú)
    Cahill 8 (Excellent at left-back, that slot must surely be his for a while now)
    Dillon 8 (Very assured despite not really being tested. Don't think he put a foot wrong)
    Hawkins 8 (Brilliant as ever)
    Ryan 9 (A couple of poor crosses in the opening 20 minutes but was on top form tonight. Got forward loads and took people on all night. Was eventually subbed and got a great hand)
    Kearney 7 (Maybe I'm just being stingey or maybe I'm used to better with Wes, but I thought he was just decent. Seemed to get a few nice bounces of the ball, one or two great moments of skill. Drifted to the right a lot in the second half and caused some problems. Wasn't directly involved in any of the goals but there's still plenty of time for him to shine)
    Crawford 9 (Solid as a rock in the centre, his partnership with O'Halloran looked invincible tonight)
    O'Halloran 9 (As above :D ! It's lazy journalism but its the truth!)
    O'Neill 9 (Really really like this guy. Was involved in two of the goals and holds the ball up extremely well. The goals will come, although it will be interesting to see where he fits in when all our strikers are fit. Great performance and was eventually substituted having given his all)
    Crowe 9 (Super! Even other than scoring a goal worthy of winning any game, he was excellent. His second goal was good too (assuming he got the touch), and showed great strikers instinct to race across his man to flick it home. More of the same please Barreler!)

CLIPS OF GOALS TO FOLLOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Crowe definitely got the third goal, and it wasn't the tap in some people say it was, I was in the perfect position to see it, he flicked it with the outside of his boot, lovely finish.

I haven't seen an easier match since, well, the last time we played Glentoran. Can we play you every week indeed.

Noise was great too, Red and white army chanted for at least 30 minutes until full time non stop, on the field the one I was most happy with was Dillion. A solid defender yes, but so assured on the ball, with himself and Hawkins in central defence we should be building moves from the back with ease. Kearney was good, Ryan was better, the central mid fielders dominated and Crowe, what a bloody goal. As soon as it left his foot I thought it had a chance but to see it hit the back of the net, unreal.

Overall, two away draws two home wins on the week that should be our sides at their absolute worst fitness and sharpness wise, we're looking good in this seasons Setanta Cup, and Shels proved last years CL demolition of Glentoran had f all to do with the time of season we were both playing, we even did this one without the man who got 4 of the 6 goals.

Fantastic report there joe , i noticed that kearney was the lowest scoring shelbourne player on the pitch(except the keeper) in your opinion i bet this is because everytime he got the ball , you were thinking of weso :)

Incidentally, I think Glentoran had one shot on target, that a weak long ranger that bounced right into Delaneys arms who simply had to stand there to take it, no power on it at all. The defence deserve credit there, none of the sloppyness of last year. Again, credit to Dillion who was excellent.

Sarge wrote:
    Fantastic report there joe , i noticed that kearney was the lowest scoring shelbourne player on the pitch(except the keeper) in your opinion i bet this is because everytime he got the ball , you were thinking of weso :)

In a way it was but a few times he got the ball in the first half he just seemed to run into an opposing player, occasionally getting the break of the ball. He had some good moments though, a nice piece of skill in the second half, on the right hand side, went by the defender with ease and pulled it back.

Bobby Ryan was far better though, and I wasn't a big Ryan fan last season.

Starting afresh this season though!

• Advertisement

I bet your looking forward to march the 10th at tolka park. When you see a real team play ! ;)

I'll be in Bray!

Thats a shame would of bought you a pint !

Cheers for the videos mjs, the first two were exceptional.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    If that goal was sweet, then I don't quite know what to say about the second, just 5 minutes later. Glen Crowe, fully 40 yards out, after some tussling with a Glens midfielder, spots the keeper marginally off his line... The rest is history. It was one of those goals that seemed to hang for ages (from the back of the new stand anyway), and practically everyone in the ground was stunned in silence for a couple of seconds before the place just erupted. One of the best goals Tolka Park has ever seen. Shels continued to press and Glentoran finished the first half without having even troubled Delaney.

Very good goal by Crowe but did anyone see Chris Eagles goal for Watford at the weekend? Similiar to Crowes but it was further out and closer to the touchline. Great goals all round but I think the Eagles goal was slightly better.

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Excellent, thanks.

kdjac

whats the password to get them?

• Advertisement

blu_sonic wrote:
    whats the password to get them?
    Click
    download now.

Kdjac

but then it asks me for a password, i guessed the 1st time and it worked but not now, any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Thanks for the downloads Joe :) .
    A decent start to the tournament by the LOI teams , hopefully one of them end up winning it .

Weird, never had any problems with a password requirement before. All you should have to do is click "download now" then choose one of the servers. I'll try upload them somewhere else tomorrow if you are still having trouble.

don't worry i use DAP a my downloading tool could be that, never mind, sure i have the scores, thank mjs

Kingp35 wrote:
    Very good goal by Crowe but did anyone see Chris Eagles goal for Watford at the weekend? Similiar to Crowes but it was further out and closer to the touchline. Great goals all round but I think the Eagles goal was slightly better.

http://213.251.140.38/e5a68d52b3cff9be0bb13b524faef0a3/video/ch05_0506_carlisle_home_fayc_goal1_high__wmr__4_.wmv

Check this one out too, extremely similar to Crowes. Scored for Liverpool reserves against Carlisle by Adam Hamill.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    http://213.251.140.38/e5a68d52b3cff9be0bb13b524faef0a3/video/ch05_0506_carlisle_home_fayc_goal1_high__wmr__4_.wmv

Check this one out too, extremely similar to Crowes. Scored for Liverpool reserves against Carlisle by Adam Hamill.

Great goal all right. Alot of these lobs from miles out happening lately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kingp35 wrote:
    Great goal all right. Alot of these lobs from miles out happening lately!
    Japan only got a cracker last week:
    http://s31.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2WO46R3BSOOVH3BWGPZ57EJ0BD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Only posting now as I had to replace PC power supply as it died while I was away.

Shelbourne were incredible, pre-season training, its only pre-season training! Proved that Glentorans moaning about the timing of the Champions League was way off the mark. Every single goal was class, and the Glens had one 25/30 yard shot on target (which just bounced into Delaney's arms), and that was it.

Great start for the eircom League clubs. Surprised at Cork's result tho, tbh.

^ It was a good result when you consider Mick Devine was clearly injured, and it was away from home. Im going to change my predictions to state the 4 semi finalists will be eL clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Didn't know Mick D was injured. Had been away until about 4 hours before KO, and struggled to maintain consciousness without worrying about Cork too much :) A point away from home to the side second to Linfield isn't too bad.

Irish teams drew away from home with their top two, and hammered their third placed team. and beat their 4th placed. Fingers crossed it'll be coming south this year!

• Advertisement
Advertisement