Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v united (title changed to protect the innocent)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Watching MUTV now, hoping to get info on Smith

What was lawro thinking..........his right leg???????? it was his left that was strapped up.hope he is ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well if you look at the league positions and read the bit that says against, you will see that it has been better all season but that UNited fans are loathe to admit it.

We know we have not had a strikeforce to speak of but that is not what I was discussing.

Crouchy willl hopefully take a bit of confidence from the goal today too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Best united player was Saha by a mile. Best liverpool player/players was the hamman sissoko double act, great stuff.

Any news on smith yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

WOW liverpool were great today, as they were in the premiership a couple of weeks ago, when a lucky goal was scored from a ref's decision, but anyway justice was done today and it feels like the pool have turned the corner on the last couple of bad results.

Man U were destoryed today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

good performance by Liverpool. Deserved win. Well done to Sissoko, Hyypia, Gerrard, Carragher & Hamann.

• Advertisement

I think every liverpool player deserves a mention, who didnt have a good game today? None i can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

lets hope hes alright smithy, noone likes to see nasty injuries like that. Was he inhaling oxygen when he was coming off?

galwaydude wrote:
    lets hope hes alright smithy, noone likes to see nasty injuries like that. Was he inhaling oxygen when he was coming off?

Yeah im pretty sure it was, he looked in shock.

Yeah he was.........looked like he was in an extreme pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

galwaydude wrote:
    No, that tube was for inflating the thingy strapped around his leg.

Congrats to Liverpool, they outplayed Man Utd today, and deserved to go through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

What a match! Forgetting about last may, I can't remember one I enjoyed so much ...right to the very end! :D

Sean he put something to his mouth after it was inflated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Brutal match.A Midfield scrap.
    There hasnt been a decent match between these 2 sides in over 5 years.
    I'd prefer to watch paint dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

it looked he was gettin oxygen alright. there was a cannister with him anyways. those inflatable splints are hand inflated so it wasn't for that. from the replays it looks like a break but u never know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Poor match

Smith was inhaling something at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Liverpool's midfield was just too strong for United. Surprised Ferguson didn't see that coming and go for five in midfield - even at half-time. Sissoko was great, but Finnan was my man of the match, he's surely the best full-back in the league.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hamann and Sissoko were outstanding winning balls.
    Pool totally outclassed the opposition and well worth the win.
    Sad to see any player suffer a bad injury,fair play to Pool docs and physio for assisting and the full stadium applauding Smyth off the pitch.
    The last 2 games between the sides have proved Pool have indeed overtaken utd,only this time Pool scored and won.
    Delighted with the result thoughts are with Smyth at this moment :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Finnan was my man of the match, he's surely the best full-back in the league.

Missed a near-sitter but then made ammends with cool piece of last gasp defending.

Smith has both a Broken leg and dislocted ankle according to BBC fivelive, so he's out for the season.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Confirmed leg b reak for Smith :(

Ferguson said it is "The worst injury he's ever seen"

Chin up Smithy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

seansouth wrote:
    No, that tube was for inflating the thingy strapped around his leg.

Congrats to Liverpool, they outplayed Man Utd today, and deserved to go through.

He was inhaling something from a tube while being stretchered off...

In one of the camera angles I am nearly sure I saw his leg just dangling around (similar to Cisse that time).

Regarding the result, was a good performance and am glad we won it.. Just need to keep this up now.

• Advertisement

Shame, hope he does a cisse and heals quick.

News just in:

Fergie has given a statement about Smith, saying he has broken his leg and dislocated his ankel.......it is a very bad injury and he has been rushed to hospital

Wtf broken leg and dislocated ankle, thats a freak injury if i ever seen one, keeps getting worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Riise broke a man's leg with a shot. It's just like in my dreams.

Fantastic stuff from Finnan, splendid crossing and clearance from the Neville cross. My MOM. Sissoko also did very well, then again he was playing against Fletcher.

edit: Bah, my dreams sundered. Worry not John, you'll always have a place in my heart.

It was his standing leg, not the one he used to block with.

How did Riise break his leg???? To me it looked like he landed wrong while trying to make the challange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How did Riise break his leg???? To me it looked like he landed wrong while trying to make the challange

I thought the shot did it too. If you look at the replay the leg he uses to block the shot goes 'floppy' after the ball hits it.

Horrible injury for the lad regardless, never a player I'd have much time for but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Horrible for Smith,
    Looked horrific, i couldnt watch the replays.
    Hopefully like was said earlier he'll recover quick, doesnt look as though the bone snapped anyway.

About the match liverpool were completely dominant,
    Sissoko was probably my man of the match,
    but every 'pool player did well.
    Great goal from crouchy and though nando looked alot sharper and up for it today.
    Lastly can some people learn to spell "Kromkamp" i've yet to see anyone else spell his name correctly.

mayordenis wrote:
    Lastly can some people learn to spell "Kromkamp" i've yet to see anyone else spell his name correctly.

I think ive spelt his name 10 different ways. :D

Edited.

You spelled it wrong, its "Krompkamp". ;)

• Advertisement

I thought the shot did it too. If you look at the replay the leg he uses to block the shot goes 'floppy' after the ball hits it.

Horrible injury for the lad regardless, never a player I'd have much time for but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

He blocked the shot with his right leg, and it was his left leg that was strapped up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I haven't read a single post on this thread but here's my brief comment about the game. United looked cagey from the word go, and to be honest any pre-match confidence I had left me after about 5 minutes. Liverpool were the better team and really used the home advantage to good effect. Man U seemed to be overcome by the whole occasion and lacked the experience and strength in midfield. Two things I took out of today's game. There really is very little between Man United and Liverpool at the moment and next year will be a memorable season I think (united to buy a midfielder, liverpool a striker). Also was nice to hear a good ovation for smith as he was taken off. Put the whole thing in context really and showed that as much as United hate liverpool fans and liverpool hate united fans, they're all still football fans.

Well done Liverpool, enjoy the day.

Davei141 wrote:
    You spelled it wrong, its "Krompkamp". ;)

lol is that a joke?
    its kromkamp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Liverpool haven't conceded a goal at Anfield since October, really turned it into a Fortress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Can't really claim it is a turn over in dominance. Liverpool were the better team on the day and that was mostly down to the poor midfield put on by ferguson. Time will tell wether ManU fall behind or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

good performance there, best i've seen sissoko play
    happy to see hamann get a game too, played well
    nice one crouch, nando even looked like he was trying....much much better than usual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

seansouth wrote:

He's obviouisly forgetting the Coventry match where david Busst folded his leg in half.

Smiths ankle looked at a very strange angle just after the ball hit, a very nasty injury indeed, and not one you'd expect like that. Must have just caught him at the right (wrong?) angle to do the damage, 99 times out of 100 that rebounds off and he's straight up and on his feet.

Edit, seems to be te other leg, thats always a nasty one when your leg goes uder you, it has nowhere to go but twist.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

From Manutd.com

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that Alan Smith suffered a broken leg and dislocated ankle in the defeat against Liverpool.
    The combative Yorkshireman landed awkwardly after sliding to block a John Arne Riise shot late in Saturday's tie, and has subsequently gone to hospital.

"He's broken his leg and dislocated his ankle," said Sir Alex. "It's a bad one. He's gone to hospital. It looks very long term. It's one of the worst I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He Probably meant " worst injury to one of his own players ". His players are usually the perpetraitors of serious injuries :):D:p;):D :rolleyes:

^^ extra smilies to show im kidding around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

zabbo wrote:
    Liverpool haven't conceded a goal at Anfield since October, really turned it into a Fortress.

Em, 1st Feb, Liverpool V Birmingham. Can anyone guess the score?

mayordenis wrote:
    lol is that a joke?
    its kromkamp
    Check the site. :p

• Advertisement

rondeco wrote:

From what i can remember it was 1- 1 that night.......

i could be wrong though:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

rondeco wrote:
    Was an OG, so no opposing team has scored since October, if you want to split hairs, or only conceded one goal in 4-5 months at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

rondeco wrote:
    I think the stat is that no team has scored against Liverpool since October.

On the game, firstly the injury to Smith looks a nasty one. Memories of David Boost. I hope he recovers and in time for next season.

Liverpool thoroughly deserved their win. The class in midfield really came through today and they where both phyically and mentally superior in that area. When you see that Manu had 5 midfielders against 4 of Liverpools for most of the match it shows the class with which they played. United did'nt get 1 shot on target in the first half, not 1. And did'nt fair much better in the second. Liverpool should have made it a done deal before half time with a great chance for Finnan and a clear penalty denied to them. In the end I am over the moon with the victory and even more delighted that it confines United's season to another instantly forgettable 1.

zabbo wrote:
    Was an OG, so no opposing team has scored since October, if you want to split hairs, or only conceded one goal in 4-5 months at home.

it is still a goal conceded..own goal or not

Great. Now you have made your point. Get over it.

From what i can remember it was 1- 1 that night.......

i could be wrong though:D

you're completely correct,
    i'd just like to reinforce the most important message of the day 1-0 to pool ;)

mayordenis wrote:
    you're completely correct,
    i'd just like to reinforce the most important message of the day 1-0 to pool ;)
    So godd it dererves to be quoted. :D:D:D:D:D (A smile for each European Cup aswell)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Put it this away, an opposition striker hasn't scored at Anfield since October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Hobart wrote:
    I think the stat is that no team has scored against Liverpool since October.

On the game, firstly the injury to Smith looks a nasty one. Memories of David Boost. I hope he recovers and in time for next season.

Liverpool thoroughly deserved their win. The class in midfield really came through today and they where both phyically and mentally superior in that area. When you see that Manu had 5 midfielders against 4 of Liverpools for most of the match it shows the class with which they played. United did'nt get 1 shot on target in the first half, not 1. And did'nt fair much better in the second. Liverpool should have made it a done deal before half time with a great chance for Finnan and a clear penalty denied to them. In the end I am over the moon with the victory and even more delighted that it confines United's season to another instantly forgettable 1.

Liverpool still haven't won anything and if it stays that way I think your own season will be just as forgettable. Especially if they finish below a team that you seem to think are wildly inferior to Liverpool.

fade2black wrote:
    Liverpool still haven't won anything and if it stays that way I think your own season will be just as forgettable. Especially if they finish below a team that you seem to think are wildly inferior to Liverpool.
    I don't think that they are wildly inferior, just inferior. The way Liverpools season is panning out I'm quite happy. Best points total at this stage than any other, in the CL and FA cups, and on course to finish second. I actually could'nt be happier at this moment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement