Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v united (title changed to protect the innocent)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool still haven't won anything
    yet! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Anybody have the number of the Irish branch of the Wigan supporters club? :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

fade2black wrote:
    Liverpool still haven't won anything and if it stays that way I think your own season will be just as forgettable. Especially if they finish below a team that you seem to think are wildly inferior to Liverpool.

yea its not like we're in the carling cup final,
    we're only in that nonsense euro thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Liverpool still haven't won anything and if it stays that way I think your own season will be just as forgettable. Especially if they finish below a team that you seem to think are wildly inferior to Liverpool.

Liverpool are still in the FA Cup and Champions league and have vastly improved their league from since last season. The defence is improved and while the front line needs sharpening, the team and spirit have been noticeably lifted imho and this is definitely a transition season that should put the club in a fantastic position and frame of mind for next season.

None of the above are applicable to Man Utd.

Edit : I forgot about the Carling Cup, the pinnacle of any team's season

ullu wrote:
    Liverpool are still in the FA Cup and Champions league and have vastly improved their league from since last season. The defence is improved and while the front line needs sharpening, the team and spirit have been noticeably lifted imho and this is definitely a transition season that should put the club in a fantastic position and frame of mind for next season.

None of the above are applicable to Man Utd.
    Fade is just in bad form because Clonmel was called off :D.

dbnavan wrote:
    Did anyone hear Larwo 'Say only if your english' in response to Motty saying 'this is worrying for the world cup' when Rooney was hobbling.

I LMFAO.
    Did he not say "Speak for Yourself??" anyhow it was a great comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Did anyone hear Larwo 'Say only if your english' in response to Motty saying 'this is worrying for the world cup' when Rooney was hobbling.

I LMFAO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lawro does'nt know what nationality he is half the time! ;)

Mike.

Hobart wrote:
    Did he not say "Speak for Yourself??" anyhow it was a great comeback.

I think your right actually, either way it was class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

mayordenis wrote:
    yea its not like we're in the carling cup final,
    we're only in that nonsense euro thingy.

:rolleyes:

It's tiring reading your posts sometimes. I have a 12 year old cousin who's a liverpool fan and speaks more sense than you.

Seriously, you're all a tiring bunch. When you lose, you hammer the excuses all day long and when you win you're even more sickening to listen to. My initial post was one of congratulations etc but there really is no point in posting on any thread involving Liverpool supporters on this forum.

To the Liverpool fans who are gracious in victory and defeat, and who don't wear those 24 hour rose tinted glasses, I say well done on tonight's match. To the rest I say grow up.

fade2black wrote:
    And your the current holders of...............??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Thought I wait for a while before posting, let it all settle.

Hats off to Liverpool. No complaints from a United fan here. We were beaten fair and square. I was going to back United to win this morning I felt so confident. But when I saw richardson and giggs up against Hamann and Sissoko I thought better.

Liverpool midfield was excellent. Defense was excellent.The only fault I had with the Pool was it was a performance similar to the one against United at Old Trafford and Arsenal. Lots of possession and ultimately in control but still not creating much. Kewel was poor, all he done was annoy Neville. Really need someone beating the last defender and crossing.

United were awful. The midfield today was embarrassing. Been supporting United all my life and I have a good recollection of the last 16 years. And that is the worst midfield I have ever seen in a United shirt. Defensively we werent that bad, Liverpool didnt really go at the back line. The forwards didnt see the ball all game so really the blame lys with the midfield.

Richardson was found out big time today. Flethcer who I have come to appreciate was poor. Giggs is not a central midfielder. And as for Ronaldo, well I spoke out about a thread procaliming him as world class, allow me to be a bit smug, although as a United fan I am cutting off my nose to spite my face. He was very bad. No really focus in his game, never really looks like he practices any one thing in training, ie crossing, getting past the full back. I dont think we once got past either Liverpool full back.

So hats off to the Pool, I would sooner see Liverpool win the cup than Chelsea so I will be following. Yes they have bridged the gap, but it is worth pointing out that United have been stumbling all season, Keane, Scholes, Heinze have been huge losses, Giggs, Park and Rooney have missed parts of the season all so. So it is amazing that United are in second. I predict a much better season for United next year, considering we should be bolstered with a new midfield plus Vidic and Evra will be settled.

On a final note, poor Alan Smith. Hes been out of position all season but he poors his heart into every game. No player deserves that to happen them and I hope he recovers as quickly as is possible.

Incidents like this put all the bickering that has gone on here between Pool and United fans into perspective.

dbnavan wrote:
    And your the current holders of...............??

What's your point?

Thought I wait for a while before posting, let it all settle.

Hats off to Liverpool. No complaints from a United fan here. We were beaten fair and square. I was going to back United to win this morning I felt so confident. But when I saw richardson and giggs up against Hamann and Sissoko I thought better.

Liverpool midfield was excellent. Defense was excellent.The only fault I had with the Pool was it was a performance similar to the one against United at Old Trafford and Arsenal. Lots of possession and ultimately in control but still not creating much. Kewel was poor, all he done was annoy Neville. Really need someone beating the last defender and crossing.

United were awful. The midfield today was embarrassing. Been supporting United all my life and I have a good recollection of the last 16 years. And that is the worst midfield I have ever seen in a United shirt. Defensively we werent that bad, Liverpool didnt really go at the back line. The forwards didnt see the ball all game so really the blame lys with the midfield.

Richardson was found out big time today. Flethcer who I have come to appreciate was poor. Giggs is not a central midfielder. And as for Ronaldo, well I spoke out about a thread procaliming him as world class, allow me to be a bit smug, although as a United fan I am cutting off my nose to spite my face. He was very bad. No really focus in his game, never really looks like he practices any one thing in training, ie crossing, getting past the full back. I dont think we once got past either Liverpool full back.

So hats off to the Pool, I would sooner see Liverpool win the cup than Chelsea so I will be following. Yes they have bridged the gap, but it is worth pointing out that United have been stumbling all season, Keane, Scholes, Heinze have been huge losses, Giggs, Park and Rooney have missed parts of the season all so. So it is amazing that United are in second. I predict a much better season for United next year, considering we should be bolstered with a new midfield plus Vidic and Evra will be settled.

On a final note, poor Alan Smith. Hes been out of position all season but he poors his heart into every game. No player deserves that to happen them and I hope he recovers as quickly as is possible.

Incidents like this put all the bickering that has gone on here between Pool and United fans into perspective.

Not the kind of post that you'd see from a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

fade2black wrote:
    :rolleyes:

It's tiring reading your posts sometimes. I have a 12 year old cousin who's a liverpool fan and speaks more sense than you.

Not so tiring reading the man united posts when they win though is it?

Anyway for what its worth, Liverpool did dominate - even more than a few weeks ago. ManU were very poor. They really have no midfield. Sissoko has looked a lot sharper in the last few matches - and I always think Hamman is a good addition to the side - not a creative a Alonso - but more reliable.
    Well done to Crouch - hopefully he can get back in the habit of scoring now - maybe even forming a partnership with Fowler to take both of them to the world-cup (imagine seeing Robbie in the world cup!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I only saw the last half hour when I managed to get on break at work, but from what I heard the last half hour was pretty much how the whole match went...and in that case I can't really complain. United seemed blunt, despite having Van Nistelrooy, Rooney and Saha on. As soon as I sat down and watched for five minutes I could tell it was going to finish 1-0, neither side looked like scoring. United didn't press hard enough for the equaliser, and created little aside from lobbing a few balls up forward. Pretty poor performance, can't really argue the result....unfortunately, this is a Liverpool/United thread so there'll inevitably be arguements all day long.
    On another note, I hope Alan Smith makes a quick recovery (well, as quick as you can recover from a broken ankle). There was little or no sound on the tv I was watching it on, so I wasn't sure of what happened exactly, looked worrying.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Not so tiring winning the man united posts when they win though is it?

Anyway for what its worth, Liverpool did dominate - even more than a few weeks ago. ManU were very poor. They really have no midfield. Sissoko has looked a lot sharper in the last few matches - and I always think Hamman is a good addition to the side - not a creative a Alonso - but more reliable.
    Well done to Crouch - hopefully he can get back in the habit of scoring now - maybe even forming a partnership with Fowler to take both of them to the world-cup (imagine seeing Robbie in the world cup!).

Check out the last match thread when a helluva lot of Man Utd supporters admitted that Liverpool were the better team on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

fade2black wrote:
    Check out the last match thread when a helluva lot of Man Utd supporters admitted that Liverpool were the better team on the day.
    No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Brutal match.A Midfield scrap.
    There hasnt been a decent match between these 2 sides in over 5 years.
    I'd prefer to watch paint dry.

I agree crap match to watch, Liverpool got a goal and just sat on it. It could have been a good match if Liverpool didn't score so early.

I am glad to see Gary Neville got some stick today he deserves it in my opinion, i don't think he should be captain, he hasn't got captain qualities. As for Saha he should be either shot or we should give him to Liverpool cos he's crap :D

You said....
    fade2black wrote:
    Liverpool still haven't won anything and if it stays that way I think your own season will be just as forgettable

What's your point?

Look stop acting like a spoiled little boy whos been knocked out of a game of keepy up's, you lost your not going to win anything this year again. We are still in contention for Europe, the FA cup, and 2nd place in the league, the Fergie era is coming to an end, live with it.

What will united fans remember this season by if ours is so 'forgettable'

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote:
    Hamann and Sissoko were outstanding winning balls.
    Pool totally outclassed the opposition and well worth the win.
    Sad to see any player suffer a bad injury,fair play to Pool docs and physio for assisting and the full stadium applauding Smyth off the pitch.
    The last 2 games between the sides have proved Pool have indeed overtaken utd,only this time Pool scored and won.
    Delighted with the result thoughts are with Smyth at this moment :(

:rolleyes: sure they have

fade2black wrote:
    I haven't read a single post on this thread but here's my brief comment about the game. United looked cagey from the word go, and to be honest any pre-match confidence I had left me after about 5 minutes. Liverpool were the better team and really used the home advantage to good effect. Man U seemed to be overcome by the whole occasion and lacked the experience and strength in midfield. Two things I took out of today's game. There really is very little between Man United and Liverpool at the moment and next year will be a memorable season I think (united to buy a midfielder, liverpool a striker). Also was nice to hear a good ovation for smith as he was taken off. Put the whole thing in context really and showed that as much as United hate liverpool fans and liverpool hate united fans, they're all still football fans.

Well done Liverpool, enjoy the day.

Well said

I agree crap match to watch, Liverpool got a goal and just sat on it. It could have been a good match if Liverpool didn't score so early.

I am glad to see Gary Neville got some stick today he deserves it in my opinion, i don't think he should be captain, he hasn't got captain qualities. As for Saha he should be either shot or we should give him to Liverpool cos he's crap :D
    Go easy on Gary. Remember it was his birthday today. Nice present the Liverpool team gave him.

zabbo wrote:
    Liverpool haven't conceded a goal at Anfield since October, really turned it into a Fortress.

How many have they scored though?

dbnavan wrote:
    You said....

Look stop acting like a spoiled little boy whos been knocked out of a game of keepy up's, you lost your not going to win anything this year again. We are still in contention for Europe, the FA cup, and 2nd place in the league, the Fergie era is coming to an end, live with it.

What will united fans remember this season by if ours is so 'forgettable'

The man congratulated Liverpool. He stated Liverpool havent won anything yet. Is he lying?

How many have they scored though?
    Sigh, just give it a miss will you. It's getting rather boring. If you don't know how many they scored, have a look on the web.

Hobart wrote:
    Go easy on Gary. Remember it was his birthday today. Nice present the Liverpool team gave him.

He is a total hot head, and does totally stupid things, what he needs to do is stay in defence and do his job and keep a cool head

He is a total hot head, and does totally stupid things, what he needs to do is stay in defence and do his job and keep a cool head
    I was just wishing him happy birthday, that's all. I hope he keeps playing as well as he did today.

dbnavan wrote:
    Look stop acting like a spoiled little boy whos been knocked out of a game of keepy up's, you lost your not going to win anything this year again.
    Why is it when Liverpool are in the final of the League Cup it becomes significant, but when United are in it, it reverts back to a nothing-trophy? I had Liverpool fans say to me last season, "Well ye're not going to win the title, at least we are in a cup final."

Why is it when Liverpool are in the final of the League Cup it becomes significant, but when United are in it, it reverts back to a nothing-trophy? I had Liverpool fans say to me last season, "Well ye're not going to win the title, at least we are in a cup final."

Neither teams are great atm, next year will be a good one to see

• Advertisement

The man congratulated Liverpool. He stated Liverpool havent won anything yet. Is he lying?

Never said he was lying but I hardly think liverpool are having will have a 'forgettable' season.

because united win so much stuff that league cups aren't really important, but for a team like liverpool that win f all league cups are important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Time to close this one I reckon, all football discussion is finished and the bickering has begun.

because united win so much stuff that league cups aren't really important, but for a team like liverpool that win f all league cups are important

:p

As for Saha he should be either shot or we should give him to Liverpool cos he's crap
    Yeah, before today his record read something like 8 goals in his last 9 games, but when you need somebody to point the blame at, I guess that means nothing :rolleyes: The whole team was **** today, it's just stupid pinning it on one player. Just move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Aye twas good stuff. Again its the same thing we have been doing all season: Excellent defending at the back and plenty of posession football. We still have a problem finishing. Morientes, for all his hard work, offers very little in the way of an attacking threat. Crouchy needs a 25 goal a season man to partnet him up front. Whether thats Micheal Owen , Dirk Kuit or whomever, I hope one maybe two strikers become the priority for the Summer transfer window.

As for Utd and Liverpool, I believe we are about neck and neck. The much anticipated collpase of Utd is taking its time :D ,I feel we play better football and defend better. Utd have a brilliant forward lineup(If we had a Van Nieslteroy or Rooney where would we be?), but of course, as pointed out already, Utd have had to make do without Scholes, Keane and Heinze. Id imagine they would be pushing Chelsea with those boys. Nevertheless, we are only a Striker, right winger and Left back away from becoming challengers ourselves. I feel next season will be a three way battle of huge proportions.

Like someone else posted, I was glad to see the crowd give Smith an Ovation as he was carried off. As we know ourselves from Djibs, he has a long road to recovery. He always impresses me as one of the Heart on the sleeves type, wish him well. Good too to see our own physio(Ochotorena?) lending a hand to the Utd team for smith. There was a Pool player comforting him also. Nice to see that kind of thing.

WARNING WARNING You are talking sh1te again.

Time to close this one I reckon, all football discussion is finished and the bickering has begun.

its a internet discussion board, why limit people to talk about only stuff you want to talk about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The league cup is irrelevent to United, and any United who thinks it is sorely setting their sights low.

That said, it'll be a fun final against Wigan. I don't think any UNited fans consider this season a success, even before this game.
    Thats the difference between how United fans see this season and how people think they do.
    United fans are very disappointed with this season, speficially the lack of midfielders, but don't see it as the end of an era as Sky try to point out none stop, as most think we are two central midfielders short of a top quality team.
    However, most other fans see United as a team massivly in decline, and all their players are woeful, because the team is as a whole woeful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Well done to Liverpool, they have shown up United's big weakness in midfield yet again. A match of very few chances, it was always going to be something like a defensive error or a referees decision that would win it (same with the match at Old Trafford).

I hope Alan Smith comes back from that horrible injury. That will be him out for a year anyway. United's midfield woes continue... :(

dbnavan wrote:
    Never said he was lying but I hardly think liverpool are having will have a 'forgettable' season.

He said if ye dont win any trophies it will be just as forgettable as ours which is a fair point.

Every United fan I have met today have no complaints about it. Liverpool were the better team and deserved the win. Stop trying to create the illusion were bitter over this defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

its a internet discussion board, why limit people to talk about only stuff you want to talk about?

Because if let run, these threads always descend into a bitter 'my team is better than yours' farce.

Yeah, before today his record read something like 8 goals in his last 9 games, but when you need somebody to point the blame at, I guess that means nothing :rolleyes: The whole team was **** today, it's just stupid pinning it on one player. Just move on.

I didn't mean it was Saha's fault, i just think he never performs when he needs to and makes silly little mistakes

Because if let run, these threads always descend into a bitter 'my team is better than yours' farce.

So? If people wanna talk about stuff like that let them, if someone doesn't like that sort of talk its not hard to find another thread, btw i am not trying to personally attack you, this is just the way i feel. :)

I was in the pub when we beat United in the League cup a few years back and there was a united fan getting stuck in the whole game till we score then he turns around and starts singing its only a f*****g ashtray, I for one never held the league cup in high regard given the teams put out to play in it but a trophey is a trophey and if United had won it he'd have be typical bloke to jump all over the bar,

I said to him, if its only an ashtray why where you so worked up about it before kick off, he said nothing and walked off typical united fan, only have answers for things when they are winning.

• Advertisement

dbnavan wrote:
    typical united fan, only have answers for things when they are winning.

I and others will gladly discuss this game with you. Every team has fans like that, but do not paint us all with the one brush. Many posts in this thread is proving your statement way off the mark.

He said if ye dont win any trophies it will be just as forgettable as ours which is a fair point.

As I die hard liverpool fan i disagree, finishing 2nd to Chelsea and automatic qualification the CL is hardly forgetable in my book.

*edit* That's without going any further in CL and FA cups!

dbnavan wrote:
    As I die hard liverpool fan i disagree, finishing 2nd to Chelsea and automatic qualification the CL is hardly forgetable in my book.

Well as a Pool fan with so many great nights in the past, I doubt you will be telling your children all about the year we finished second to Chelsea.

But you're 3rd now...what are you talking about??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

dbnavan wrote:

It would be an achivement alright, but I think its the idea that we are all getting hyped up about the battle for "Second Place" that gets me down. We didnt start the season hoping to be runner up did we? Lets just defend our Title and when summer comes get some serious footballing talent in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement