Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v united (title changed to protect the innocent)

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Hobart wrote:
    I'm not saying it did. I would wager it contributed to the dislocation though.

Sorry, i wasnt alluding that you were saying it did cause the break :) was just saying in a general sense that it didnt cause the break, not to you in particular :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Sorry, i wasnt alluding that you were saying it did cause the break :) was just saying in a general sense that it didnt cause the break, not to you in particular :)
    I know that mate.

I just don't understand how a ball travelling at that speed, and where it hit, could not have contributed to his injury. His weight coming down on that dislocated ankle, with the twist that was happening , most definately caused the breakage in his leg. I could not even imagine the pain the chap went through.

I noticed, as did Red Spider, how pale he looked when he was on the ground. The players reactions, in particular Giggs and VDS, is evidence enough as to how horrific the injury must have looked up close. Any updates as to the exact nature of the break?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

And that's what's already been mentioned a dozen times.

True but if people keep raising the issue what do you expect?
    Someones still smarting i see :D
    Infact all the way through this thread your smarting or should i say sick ,get over it man. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Just put a small amount of money on Wigan to win the Carling Cup :)
    Liverpool benefited greatly from having Dietmar on the pitch, he went a long way to us controlling the midfield which should of but didn't happen in the OT match.

Liverpool should have made more of their dominance but we can concentrate on the next match now.

With our lack of strikers and having started the season back in July or whenever it was I think it's fantastic that we're still fighting for the two main cup competitions and we've significantly improved our league position on last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Hobart wrote:
    Have a look at the downloads before you make more of a fool of yourself. Your acting like a fu*king prima donna and I suspect that there maybe a couple of cans of dutch gold involved.

I will take you up on that €1,000 and give you 5/1 on it. Lets see who is man enough now. I'll wait to hear from you.

Easy lads! You're both right. It hit his right leg first ricocheting onto his left ankle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hobart wrote:
    Any updates as to the exact nature of the break?
    He had an operation yesterday morning, and everyone around the club seems pretty positive about how it went. His agent said he is in relatively good spirits (as good as you can be in that situation) and even though he is facing up to a year on the sidelines, everyone is sure he'll be back.
    As I said in an earlier post, I was watching on a tv with pretty much no sound and I didn't have the best seat in the house either. But when I saw VDS sprint out of his goal and wave frantically for help, I thought the worse. Also, Van Nistelrooy's reaction reminded me of Peter Schmeical's reaction at Dave Bust's horrific injury when United played Coventry in '96.
    Also a nice touch, I was reading today that Cisse went into the United dressing room at full time to see if he was okay, and offer support. I guess if anyone can relate to what he's going through, it's Cisse.

Nunu wrote:
    Easy lads! You're both right. It hit his right leg first ricocheting onto his left ankle.
    I'm very easy :D . I have had a look at 5 or 6 different clips of the incident. The full force of the ball hit him squarley on the left ankle. there was no deflection from his right foot/leg. From a certain angle it does look as if his right foot blocks the ball, this is meerley a trick of the camera, from every other angle the ball clearly strike him fully on the left ankle. I'm not the one who start flyng around accusations of "not being man enough" and talking ridiculous carp about €1000. I have sent LIB a pm, which he has read, I'm still waiting on a reply from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Dcully wrote:
    All these guys moaning about Liverpool fans giving smyth stick,get your facts right.
    They gave him stick when he went down at first,same as any player gets at any ground.
    Once they realised it was serious they stopped and the whole stadium stood up and applauded him off the field.
    Thats what i saw and heard on tv and its what my brother saw at the game.

I downloaded the injury and there are more than a few boo's when the stretcher is lifted. This is of course a minority and no fan here would do that. Interesting piece in the Indo today, speaks about the Pool fans shouting "Munich Scum" and the United fans shouting stuff about Hillsborough. Again just a minority but it shows both teams has that minority.

I posted here about my dissappointment of the atmosphere at the Manchester Derby earlier in the season. It seemed to me that where I was sitting people were more interested in hurling abuse at the City fans. It remains a minority but is this type of thing creeping more and more into the game?

I downloaded the injury and there are more than a few boo's when the stretcher is lifted. This is of course a minority and no fan here would do that. Interesting piece in the Indo today, speaks about the Pool fans shouting "Munich Scum" and the United fans shouting stuff about Hillsborough. Again just a minority but it shows both teams has that minority.

I posted here about my dissappointment of the atmosphere at the Manchester Derby earlier in the season. It seemed to me that where I was sitting people were more interested in hurling abuse at the City fans. It remains a minority but is this type of thing creeping more and more into the game?
    I actually think that it has always been there, and always will. I heard Stevie Gerrard being interviewed before the game on Saturday. He was asked why there is such rivalry between the two clube. He said that it was a scouse v manc thing, "we just hate eachother" . I thought his use of the word "hate" was quite strong, and probably true, but I don't understand how he can stand on a pitch with an england shirt playing with Gary. Wayne Rooney etc... and actually hate them. And, no, he was not just referring to the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Have you seen that ad where a kid can win the chance to be a mascot at an England WC game, Gerrard Neville and Carragher run out of the tunnell in that order and G & C are smiling while Nev looks not a little scared running out behing G and before C ;) I think that these guys do carry it on to the england training but just hide it better when playing for their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Hobart wrote:
    I actually think that it has always been there, and always will. I heard Stevie Gerrard being interviewed before the game on Saturday. He was asked why there is such rivalry between the two clube. He said that it was a scouse v manc thing, "we just hate eachother" . I thought his use of the word "hate" was quite strong, and probably true, but I don't understand how he can stand on a pitch with an england shirt playing with Gary. Wayne Rooney etc... and actually hate them. And, no, he was not just referring to the fans.

Id imagine he was referring to the banter amongst the fans. Yes we all hate eachother but at the same time when something like the smith incident happens most of us are all able to put aside our hatred and get serious.

But there seems to be this element of scum creeping in again. Im not just saying it because they were Liverpool fans but how many times did we see a cop having to deal with a fan in the background saturday? I saw one fan appear to hit the cop. Why all of the sudden is there such an increase in the amount of fools who go just to football matches to shout abuse. Having noticed that beer is being served at Old Trafford that day I really think this is having an effect on the supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Hobart wrote:
    but I don't understand how he can stand on a pitch with an england shirt playing with Gary. Wayne Rooney etc... and actually hate them. And, no, he was not just referring to the fans.

i always found the england thing a bit weird too. England have possibly the best if not second best squad of international players in the world and yet they always underachieve. I think that although rival players get on well when the squad joins up there is a bigger underlying loyalty to the clubs. I mean there's so much at stake between the top four in england so theirs crazy pressure on the players to achieve and out do their rivals. It's the same in Spain but they also have their provincial differences to get past.

When you compare that to the spirit of the Brazil team. When Brazil play in the world cup Rio de janeiro practically closes down. The stock market closes. In Brazil the national team is the biggest spectacle for the fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

But there seems to be this element of scum creeping in again. Im not just saying it because they were Liverpool fans but how many times did we see a cop having to deal with a fan in the background saturday? I saw one fan appear to hit the cop. Why all of the sudden is there such an increase in the amount of fools who go just to football matches to shout abuse. Having noticed that beer is being served at Old Trafford that day I really think this is having an effect on the supporters.

It always been there, it just bigger this season for various reasons. The way we lost to united at Old trafford, and of course the Neville incident meant there was alot more hype on this match.

The fact it was the FA cup aswell. THis trophy was seen by some as the only thing that would of meant there season wasnt a complete diaster, so for us to have the chance to knock them out of it was big aswell. For liverpool fans this has been the biggest match between us for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I blame the media (for a change) I had fivelive on all through the morning of the game and every time the match was mentioned Gary Neville and his forthcomming dissiplinary hearing was mentioned. Indeed it reached the point where Alan Greene felt the need to comment before the game began that the impending football occassion had barly got metioned. In fact he aimed a poorly-disguised broadside at the fivelive newsroom in his words about what passes for jounalism.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

MrJoeSoap wrote:

@ Hobart - 2mins 55secs into the Smith injury upload provided by MrJoeSoap clearly shows the ball hit his right foot first deflecting it onto his left. If you can't see that from this footage then you never will, but I hope you can. Either way it should put this discussion to bed because I have no other proof.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote:
    I blame the media (for a change) I had fivelive on all through the morning of the game and every time the match was mentioned Gary Neville and his forthcomming dissiplinary hearing was mentioned. Indeed it reached the point where Alan Greene felt the need to comment before the game began that the impending football occassion had barly got metioned. In fact he aimed a poorly-disguised broadside at the fivelive newsroom in his words about what passes for jounalism.

Mike.

Is that Alan Green the LIverpool supporter that was commentating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well looks like this thread has run its course guys, thanks for having a thread on Live v Man U without a single banning ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement