Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issue configuring Grandstream 486

• 18-02-2006 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I recently singed up to a trial account with Blueface and bought a Grandstream Handytone 486 separately. I'm trying to configure it as follows:

ntl cable modem (1Mb) -> (WAN) Handytone 486 (LAN) > PC

I'm also connecting a DECT cordless phone from the phone port of the Handytone.

However, despite multiple reboots of the cable modem and the Handytone 486 I cannot get the broadband through to my PC. The router in the Handytone is doing the NATing and assigning my PC an IP address no problem.... and I can access the config screens .....

It is also getting a WAN IP address from NTL (this is viewable from the "status" config screen).

Has anyone else had this sort of problem .... would I be better off buying a dedicated router instead of hanging my PC off the LAN port of the Handytone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

What firmware version are you on and is the 486 in routing or bridge mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Blunderbuss

Thanks for the help bhickey.....

Firrmware is 1.0.6.7.

I have been trying it mainly in routing mode. I did try it in bridge mode after I saw your post, but to no avail......

I'm a bit new to this, so maybe it's something I'm doing wrong ..... but I am starting to lose faith in the Grandstream.....

PM me the Status & settings screens and I'll compare it to my own. I'm not on NTL but maybe there's something simple that can fix things.

I'm a bit new to this, so maybe it's something I'm doing wrong ..... but I am starting to lose faith in the Grandstream.....

I doubt that this is a problem with the Grandstream - it's more likely that your PC might not have the correct TCP/IP network settings for its LAN connection. If you've been switching from static IP to DHCP while setting things up then you might not have re-enabled the "Obtain DNS server address automatically" setting on your PC. You might find that you can ping actual IP addresses (e.g. try "ping 194.125.2.240" from the command prompt) but not addresses like www.boards.ie because your DNS settings aren't setup. You can also check your DNS server settings from the command prompt by typing "ipconfig /all".

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Blunderbuss

As I suspected - I was doing something wrong, the 486 is blameless! Let's just say I didnt have the Advanced Settings configured as per the instructions on the Blueface support page......

One thing I did notice was an occasional clicking noise while I was on a call. Is this normal ...... or there another configuration setting to sort this out?

Anyway - thanks again for your help :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement