Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

lookin' 4 a beetle

Options
  • 18-02-2006 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all

I am a student lookin' for a used beetle costing from 500 euros and below. It must be drivable and have basic road requirements like tax etc.

Cheers
    Earo

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You won't get a Beetle for less than €500, in fact you'll be lucky to get one for less than 5 or 6 times that. Most Beetles on Irish roads are classics now (and most of these have been restored to some degree), so it's very rare that you'll find someone that won't tack a couple of grand on when they realise this, no matter what the state of the car. For example, the cheapest on Carzone atm is €3200.

If you're lucky you might find a banger on eBay or Buy & Sell, but I honestly doubt it, the VW collectors and modders snap them up pretty quickly, and push the prices up in the process. Same goes for Minis. If you want to drive a classic car, you're going to have to look for something a little less desirable, and a little more clapped out.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

MG Midget might be a project car for 500! You will find NOTHING for that money that is both a 'classic' and ready to use.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Sorry, Ken is right. €500 won't get you much these days, maybe a Fiesta with a couple of months left on it's NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I agree looking for a drivable classic like the Bettle with road tax for €500 is wishful thinking I'm afraid. You would be lucky to find a gutted Beetle up on blocks for twice that money. As already mentioned even clapped out cars like Beetles, Minis and Morris Minors, etc rotting in someone's back garden are fetching good money. Enthusiasts are willing to pay top money for them and spend long hours restoring these classics to former glory so that they can sell them on.

You may have to go for something a little less popular among restorers such as an old Saab 900.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

JustinOval wrote:
    Sorry, Ken is right. €500 won't get you much these days, maybe a Fiesta with a couple of months left on it's NCT.
    You won't even get that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

€500 will buy you an old boxy Micra with NCT that'll last a life time and get you to lectures. I hope you can afford insurance too - yer looking at a few grand for that.
    I'm living the Mini dream and it's cost me over €4k so far not including insurance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Would you be willing to do any work on an unfinished project of a 76 beetle.
    I'l give you a 64 beetle for 250 , but it is a basket case

kadman:)

Advertisement