Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB problems (Leixlip)

• 18-02-2006 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Just got BB switched on after a whole 1-year saga at the in-laws house in Leixlip. I have been on to Eircom Muppet Support, and have got nowhere.

Here's a rundown of what is happening:

DSL BB switched on Thursday, using the Netopia Modem/Router via Ethernet (not wireless) to the laptop.

I can get an IP address on the laptop, can ping the likes of Microsoft.com, Eircom.net and Yahoo.com. I tried to explain to the Eircom muppet that I could ftp a file from Microsoft.com, but he didn't understand what ftp was (used the command line).

Problem occurs when I fire up Mozilla or IE - both can contact the websites, but time out. So it looks like something may be blocking http traffic.

Windows firewall is disabled, as is AVG virus checker (he insisted this may be blocking browser traffic, just shows he hasn't a clue). No Norton/McAfee running, so no other potential to block http traffic. Even set the firewall on the modem/router to off, just in case that was blocking the traffic, still no avail. Also tried resetting the modem to factory defaults, same problem.

Even tried my own laptop, which works fine on my broadband (so no problems with firewalls) - it has the same problem.

So, after almost 2 hours on to Eircom Muppet Support, the only solution he could offer me was to ring back Monday, despite my protests.

Can anyone offer any more troubleshooting advice - anyting else I can try, apart from ditching Eircom?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

tom dunne wrote:
    Just got BB switched on after a whole 1-year saga at the in-laws house in Leixlip. I have been on to Eircom Muppet Support, and have got nowhere.

Here's a rundown of what is happening:

DSL BB switched on Thursday, using the Netopia Modem/Router via Ethernet (not wireless) to the laptop.

I can get an IP address on the laptop, can ping the likes of Microsoft.com, Eircom.net and Yahoo.com. I tried to explain to the Eircom muppet that I could ftp a file from Microsoft.com, but he didn't understand what ftp was (used the command line).

Problem occurs when I fire up Mozilla or IE - both can contact the websites, but time out. So it looks like something may be blocking http traffic.

Windows firewall is disabled, as is AVG virus checker (he insisted this may be blocking browser traffic, just shows he hasn't a clue). No Norton/McAfee running, so no other potential to block http traffic. Even set the firewall on the modem/router to off, just in case that was blocking the traffic, still no avail. Also tried resetting the modem to factory defaults, same problem.

Even tried my own laptop, which works fine on my broadband (so no problems with firewalls) - it has the same problem.

So, after almost 2 hours on to Eircom Muppet Support, the only solution he could offer me was to ring back Monday, despite my protests.

Can anyone offer any more troubleshooting advice - anyting else I can try, apart from ditching Eircom?

is it a personal laptop or work laptop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Both of them are personal - so no unusual/extra software.

Edit: Should also point out that the original laptop has no problem accessing the internet via dial-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I did follow them to the letter.

The only thing is that there is an extension cable from the wall to the DSL filter (so it's Wall socket->Extension cable->DSL Filter->Modem). The extension cable is only about three to four feet long.

This may be part of the problem, I am just thinking. Having said that, I am getting a DSL connection, perhaps it is just incredibly slow. Hmmmm......... might try removing the extension cable and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

The only thing is that there is an extension cable from the wall to the DSL filter (so it's Wall socket->Extension cable->DSL Filter->Modem). The extension cable is only about three to four feet long.

I doubt the extension cable is the problem ..... mine must be 20ft long and works ....

I was hoping it might have been something simple like the ethernet cable going in too soon in the setup procedure .... I've just done the exact same setup as you (but with a Pc) and followed the setup link instructions above and connection established ok ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

tom dunne wrote:
    I did follow them to the letter.

Maybe I am missing something here but there should be no filter on thr line going into the modem.

Yes there should.

It's the double filter/splitter. One side goes to the DSL modem, the other is a standard phone connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

tom dunne wrote:
    Yes there should.

It's the double filter/splitter. One side goes to the DSL modem, the other is a standard phone connection.
    Yes and no.
    The double filter need only be used if you need to plug a phone into the same phone socket. The DSL side of the filter is unfiltered.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What speed is the modem syncing at/

Have you considered that the modem might be faulty?

Any chance of borrowing another modem to see if it works or trying your modem on another line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

On a ranting note, I have had severe problem with broadband in Leixlip - namely not getting it.

I live in the housing estate attached to the exchange. There's probably only 500m between my house and it. I've cheked using the phone book, and not one of my neighbours fails the broadband line test. Mine does.

There's been technicians at the door who've refused to look at the line. The line has passed the test several times, only for the offer to be withdrawn subsequently.

Now the test seems permanently fixed on "we are unable to pre-qualify your line at this time".

Bastards.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    What speed is the modem syncing at/
    How do I find this out? According to the Netopia screen (192.168.1.254) it's 2Mbdown/256 up - is that what you are talking about?

dub45 wrote:
    Have you considered that the modem might be faulty?
    I have, but the Eircom muppets won't. :) In fact, I am wondering if it is the line - I tried another ftp from Microsoft and a small file took a couple of seconds to download. Is it possible there is really bad noise on the line, slowing the speeds, but still allowing connection?
    dub45 wrote:
    Any chance of borrowing another modem to see if it works or trying your modem on another line?
    In my own house I am on Esat/BT/whatever, but I will ring Eircom again Monday and see how I get on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

tom dunne wrote:
    How do I find this out? According to the Netopia screen (192.168.1.254) it's 2Mbdown/256 up - is that what you are talking about?

I have, but the Eircom muppets won't. :) In fact, I am wondering if it is the line - I tried another ftp from Microsoft and a small file took a couple of seconds to download. Is it possible there is really bad noise on the line, slowing the speeds, but still allowing connection?

In my own house I am on Esat/BT/whatever, but I will ring Eircom again Monday and see how I get on.

If you are syncing at 2mb/256 it would suggest that you are connecting ok and that the problem lies elsewhere - why not bring down the router/modem you have at home and try it on the 'problem' line.

It should be only a matter of changing the sign on - the username is Eircom and the password is Broadband1

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?New&Kb=BB&Company={1326AEE5-D1C7-47EA-B46D-F52C67C45DC5}

Another option you could try is resetting the modem to its default settings - this might get rid of any accidental settings that have found their way in - you do this by pressing in a tinly little button at the back for about ten seconds (thats the way it is for most equipment anyways)

Have you tried the wireless connection at all?

As far as Eircom are concerned at least they are getting the signal to you so it seems most likely that any problem must like with the equipment. As you can see from the responses here the problem is not an easy one to solve and if you are as aggresive with the poor Eircom CSR as you are on here about them that is certainly not going to help either

dub45 wrote:
    Another option you could try is resetting the modem to its default settings - this might get rid of any accidental settings that have found their way in - you do this by pressing in a tinly little button at the back for about ten seconds (thats the way it is for most equipment anyways)

Done that, both the switch at the back and the option in advanced on the congifuration web page.
    dub45 wrote:
    Have you tried the wireless connection at all?

Yes, exact same.
    dub45 wrote:
    As far as Eircom are concerned at least they are getting the signal to you so it seems most likely that any problem must like with the equipment. As you can see from the responses here the problem is not an easy one to solve and if you are as aggresive with the poor Eircom CSR as you are on here about them that is certainly not going to help either

Aggressive? ROFL. If calling Eircom Support staff muppets is aggressive, then I am a very bad person.

I was utterly polite, followed every step of the script he read out to me. I did point out that it was completely unacceptable to spend an hour and a half on the phone to be told "ring back Monday", but I never once lost the head with anyone. I worked in tech support myself, so I know what these people have to put up with.

Advertisement