Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me. GF problem

• 18-02-2006 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ok heres the thing. I have been going out with my girlfriend about 2 ½. Months now. We fight a lot about her reluctance to tell me even small things and my reluctance to let it go. but we are in love (yes already)..I don’t know or want to know what my life would be like if we split up.
    She is just about a year older than me.
    I have three problems.

1. I dont find it hard, but its not easy to trust her. I have problems on my end with believeing I am in a situation with a beautiful gf as I wasnt really successful before her.(not that im undersireable though :p, other reasons) so i think that she would just leave me. And the lifestyle she has also worries me of her faithfulness.She has older male friends etc.
    2. I am dissappointed with her actions around me. We have done almost everythin that could be done for a girl(meaning i done everythin to her) yet I receive nothing in return. She is a virgin. Also she cannot receive compliments easy.Or presents for that matter.
    3. She will not tell me so many things I need to know in order to trust her. And even stupid things like who she knows in my school starts a fight cause she wont tell me.

A bit of background:
    Before me EVERY boyfriend(and quite a few there was) was older than her. ranging from 14(her) to 22(the oldest bf) etc... So I am the first one under her age.
    That made it hard to believe she was a virgin. I hate knowing this cause i keep picturing her with these older fellas doing things in my head and its horrible.
    She also has older fella friends and is quite close to one.

Now somethin happened to her last valentines day and no matter what I try she will not tel me. I asker her was she raped but that was not it.
    All i kno is that a fight betweek two ex's(she was with one at the time) resulted in what happened to her.
    The one that wasnt with her at the time told the other that she was pregnant for him. Then that night something happened to her by her current bf and 3 other guys. But what I cant understand is that she told no one and does not wish to seek revenge on the guys(4 of them) that done this to her(whatever it is). She ran into this guy when we just started going out but wont tell me what happened.

Now before that happened she would easily do anythin with fellas(after two months of being with them). She easily told me if it didnt happen she would prob be pregnant by now(which scared me. It scared me to know that she classed herself as a slut before it happened).But since that happened to her she wont do anythin with a fella.

She wants to get comfortable with me first.
    I thought the other night that she was ready to wa*k me cause she was feeling me etc. But when we tried that it was a no and i got frustrated and annoyed.

She has so many friends who are 20+ I am scared she will get bored of a younger guy and run of to an older one again. She says she didnt like the older ones cause they always forgot what age she was and were pis*ed that she had to go in early, cant go out etc...
    I am different she says, she loves me. There is something that she never had before.

She now said that she does not want to do ANYTHING(even me doing to her) for a while and I got pissed cause I dont understand why.
    Honestly although i said i was expecting a wa*k I am willing to wait months for anything(I understand she was hurt by what happened). The only reason i expected one then was her behavior and actions on the day.

Its hard to trust her because of all this and her closed nature. She was also in a 'loose' relationship when we actually got together(she ended with him the day after we got together)
    And while we were meeting(not together) she also met another guy once(she says he asked her to get with him and she said no because she wanted to see if I would ask her)

She knows i feel all this and that I find it hard to be with her.
    last night she textd me after a fight saying "things have changed with us"
    She tried being more lovey with me etc. I dont even smile at her any more(i ALWAYS smile at her, I cant help it). And when she tells me that she loves me I ask her why(I dont). Also saying that I trust her only sometimes(which is true as you can see above) and i make her feel like a real slut. Thats why we arent being affectionate for a while- to show me she aint a slut.

I dont think she is. I was devestated when she said all this. I love her but its really hard and stressful cause I kno so much of her history.
    We are currently not gonna see each other until monday cause we need to think about all this.

I really dont know what to do. I love her. She loves me.
    I dont want to break up but its really stressful on me(and prob on her but she wont talk about it)
    Any advice or points of view will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't know. Time and patience I suppose.

Do you really think you're in love at 14+15?
    She now said that she does not want to do ANYTHING(even me doing to her) for a while and I got pissed cause I dont understand why.
    Honestly although i said i was expecting a wa*k I am willing to wait months for anything(I understand she was hurt by what happened). The only reason i expected one then was her behavior and actions on the day.
    Dude, she's young, as are you. She doesn't have to do anything of that nature if she doesn't want to. Tone it down a little, hm?

I know I keep harping on about it, but I mean it - you're both young. I think you're getting a little too much into this? I mean, you seem to have a lot of problems and stuff. Are you just looking for sex, or do you really care about her?
    How can you think you're in love with her without trusting her at all?

tbh, I think maybe you might want to end this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

She is 18 I am 17.Should have cleared that. I said she was with a 22 yr old at 14 not that she was 14.

I am sure I love her but circumstances make it hard to know what she really thinks. For eg her past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

If you believe you are truly in love you are mistaken, if you were you would be able to trust her fully in telling her anything and she would be able to do vis versa, you may tink you are but its probrably just the hormones rageing.Not trying to be a dick here btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

reallyconfused, it sounds like she trusted one of her ex's too much before and got burned as a result somehow.

All you can really do is be there for her, let her know how special she is to you and let her trust and self confidance build up. Badgering her for answers before she is ready to give them is just going to push her away.

Be a good boyfriend, be kind, listen to her, make her feel loved and safe with you, probably in time she will broach the topic with you when she's ready.

It seems she is reaching out to you as it is with the texting about you - And when she tells me that she loves me I ask her why(I dont). Also saying that I trust her only sometimes(which is true as you can see above) and i make her feel like a real slut. Thats why we arent being affectionate for a while- to show me she aint a slut.
    She wants you to tell her that you love her, that she's the best thing since sliced bread etc..the fact she's saying this to my mind means she feels this way about you and is terrified of getting pushed away and is making an emotional wall to protect her from getting hurt again.

Meet her somewhere that's just got the two of you together, and look her in the eye and tell her how you feel for her. Maybe then go for a romantic walk along the sea or whatever you two like doing, get some quality "together" time :)

I think she just needs extra reassurance because of whats happened to her already, you just need to understand she's still bearing this hurt (from whatever before) and be understanding and honest with her..you have been with a bunch of strangers here..now go tell her in the real world!! (not over a phone or texting!!).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Bluewolf: I am 17. she is 18 I should have said this.

Patricide:I find it hard to trust her because of her past

Longfield: I thank you for your long detailed reply. Its really does help me. I've been talking to her friend and she is really upset. I will try to meet up with her and talk about if asap

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

It sounds like something happened that really knocked her for six, emotionally, confidence wise and possible physically.

I know it s frustrating, but you care for this girl, so help her through it by been there for her, and not pressuring her. I know you want to have some more fun, who wouldnt, but do give her time. She deserves that. Try not get so annoyed with her when she doesnt, because honestly by sounds of things she may be thinking about the whole relationship at the moment, because she probable doesnt like knocking you back, and if your getting annoyed she may feel you want to walk.

Just be there for her, dont pressure her. It could make things so much better for you both. Remember not everything has to be done with speed, the best things come to those who wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Patricide wrote:
    If you believe you are truly in love you are mistaken, if you were you would be able to trust her fully in telling her anything and she would be able to do vis versa, you may tink you are but its probrably just the hormones rageing.Not trying to be a dick here btw.

Not nessessarily in fairnes..

They might be feeling in love, love is a thing that grows, as does trust.

Everyone is different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Dude. Seriously. Guy.

Look, if I thought you were my age I'd be telling you to break up with this girl. I think you're in your teens. And I think you're taking this way too seriously.

Ok. You think you're in love with thsi girl, if that's true then so what if she won't give you a ****? So what if you haven't had sex? So what if she's dated older guys?Tthe trust thing might be an issue, but if you're really, and truly in love with this girl, then none of the other stuff should matter a dam.

Anything that happened before you should not be important. Whatever happened between her and her ex or anyone else is nothing to do with you. And to be honest it sounds like she doesn't know what she's doing or what she wants any more than you do.

Do yourselves a favour, ease up a little, take it slow, and relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

You're both too young to be putting this kind of pressure on yourselves.

You need to realise that if something bad happened to her a year ago that she won't talk to you about, you need to give her space and support, not be demanding sex off her, or playing mind games with her like telling her you don't love her (when you do), or putting pressure on her to "prove" herself to you. Either you love her or you don't. She isn't doing anything to you other than try and have a relationship, and you're caught up in what you want.

Relationships and love are not just about physical sex. You may think you understand that, but at your age you really don't. If you look at your own behaviour here you'll see that. She needs you to love her whether you're having sex or not. You either need to support her or leave her alone. Either way don't be an assh0le like the other guys she's dated, and make sure she understands it's not her fault.

• Advertisement

Bluewolf: I am 17. she is 18 I should have said this.

Patricide:I find it hard to trust her because of her past

Longfield: I thank you for your long detailed reply. Its really does help me. I've been talking to her friend and she is really upset. I will try to meet up with her and talk about if asap

Slutmonkey: Think you might have read wrong
    not be demanding sex off her, or playing mind games with her like telling her you don't love her (when you do), or putting pressure on her to "prove" herself to you.
    Cant say that I demand sex and I never said I didnt love her. Dont play mind games either.
    I know relationships aren't about sex. I believe 17-18 is old enough to 'understand' that. I love her either way.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

OP
    you come across as scarely intense
    at 17 your hormones are all over the camp - relax!
    I assure you that at your age, 2.5 months into a relationship, you are not in love, you are in lust.
    Loves comes much later when you know a person very well for a longer period of time, it also comes with age and knowing the difference between love and lust.
    you seem more concerned about how this effects you than her, that is not love. You do not 'expect' things from someone you love, you are just happy to be with them.
    if you continue to think she is not going to stay with you, then she won't - this will come through in how you behave towards her - you will make your fears come true, quit worrying about what might happen and just be happy with what you have right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 reallyconfused7

Obviously not a believer in love at first sight. It wasnt that but I do believe I love her. I believe that love is different to everyone. Who has a definitive answer to what is love?
    The reason I talk about myself Beruthiel is because she wont tell me how she feels. And I assure you I am really concerned about how this affects her.
    I held her in my arms as she cried over what happened to her. I dare not ask her then the reason she cried and I still wont ask her until she is ready.
    Unforunately your right, if I dont trust her it will finish. I believe her when she says it to me so ill just have to live with it.

Slutmonkey I have never demanded sex off her in any way shape or form. I think you mis-read.
    I have never said I dont love her(even when I do) and I have never played mind games.
    not be demanding sex off her, or playing mind games with her like telling her you don't love her (when you do), or putting pressure on her to "prove" herself to you

I know relationships aren't about sex ha. I believe 17 is old enough to understand that no matter what anybody here says. Experience is helpful but not everything.
    I dont believe I am caught up in what I want although it *may* appear that way in the Opost.
    I want her to be happy and am willing to wait for her as i have said before.

Anyway we have talked and are trying to sort this problem out. Trust should not be an issue for me anymore. I find that being unaffectionate in any sexual way can have its advantages for us.
    I should have mentioned she does try to tel me things but it is hard. I will wait until she is ready to tell me more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Beruthiel wrote:
    OP
    you come across as scarely intense
    at 17 your hormones are all over the camp - relax!
    I assure you that at your age, 2.5 months into a relationship, you are not in love, you are in lust.

Like spots at this age, isn't everything intense? Beruthiel were you such a fountain of wisdom at 17 or would a Pighead have lead you astray?;) (jaysus don't kill me for that!!)

It's young, it's love, its not fair to dismiss it as just "hormones" as the OP is for sure feeling it every bit as real as can be and a pat on the head [I assure you that at your age, 2.5 months into a relationship, you are not in love, you are in lust.] isn't really fair to them imho.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Unforunately your right, if I dont trust her it will finish

something I learned a lot older than 17 is that confidence in yourself, self esteem and a belief that you are a great person makes other people want to be with you, total belief in that simple fact is the secret.
    As you get older you will see this to be true and your relationships become better as a result of this.
    all that is required from you by your g/f is to be there when she needs you, to support her and to just let her be without any pressure.
    when she's ready to talk, she will

Yea I hope she will. She promised me before to tell me when she is ready.
    Honestly I couldnt imagine life witout her even though its only 2 1/2 months. Before her I was really bored of things.
    She was a breath of fresh air and still is.
    We have a lot to do relationshipwise. We have so much in common and when were not fightin about petty things we get along great.(which will stop)
    I really hope it lasts a while. I really do love her.
    I've said that about girls before but this is different thats why im sure its real and not lust.

Ok, I'll try and clarify what I was posting earlier, I may have come across a bit harsh.
    Ok heres the thing. I have been going out with my girlfriend about 2 ½. Months now.

2 1/2 months is no time at all in a relationship, particularly at your age, and particularly when you're both virgins. This isn't a race.
    1. I dont find it hard, but its not easy to trust her. I have problems on my end with believeing I am in a situation with a beautiful gf as I wasnt really successful before her.(not that im undersireable though :p, other reasons) so i think that she would just leave me. And the lifestyle she has also worries me of her faithfulness.She has older male friends etc.

You must start to recognise this is a problem you have, and it is one you will have to start to come to terms with. All she can do is be who she is - either you accept her for it or you leave her with someone who can.
    2. I am dissappointed with her actions around me. We have done almost everythin that could be done for a girl(meaning i done everythin to her) yet I receive nothing in return. She is a virgin. Also she cannot receive compliments easy.Or presents for that matter.

I take it to mean this refers to sex - in that you've got to third base with her but she isn't reciprocating. Again, this is not a race or a competition. For a girl to give up her virginity is a much bigger thing than for a guy. If her bad experience of last year has upset her that much, you need to give her time. Proceed at her pace, not at yours.

If it makes you feel any better, women do not get any better at receiving compliments or presents as they get older. Apart from golddigging bitches, but they don't count for the purposes of the current discussion.
    3. She will not tell me so many things I need to know in order to trust her. And even stupid things like who she knows in my school starts a fight cause she wont tell me.

In order for her to tell you things, she needs to trust you. You have said you react badly and have fights with her about what she won't talk about. This stops her trusting you enough to open up to you.
    She will not tell you what you "need" to know because she is frightened of your reaction. She is frightened of you judging her, or shouting at her, or calling her a slut, or dumping her. You need to be able (truthfully) to show her that no matter what she tells you, you will not think the less of her, or be upset with her.
    Now somethin happened to her last valentines day and no matter what I try she will not tel me. I asker her was she raped but that was not it.
    All i kno is that a fight betweek two ex's(she was with one at the time) resulted in what happened to her.
    The one that wasnt with her at the time told the other that she was pregnant for him. Then that night something happened to her by her current bf and 3 other guys. But what I cant understand is that she told no one and does not wish to seek revenge on the guys(4 of them) that done this to her(whatever it is). She ran into this guy when we just started going out but wont tell me what happened.

You asked her straight out if she was raped - if she was, she would not respond to that question. Whatever happened to her, it was a very big deal in her life. She will open up when she is ready, and if you ask her to do it before then, she will not.
    Now before that happened she would easily do anythin with fellas(after two months of being with them). She easily told me if it didnt happen she would prob be pregnant by now(which scared me. It scared me to know that she classed herself as a slut before it happened).But since that happened to her she wont do anythin with a fella.

Again, you need to start understanding what a big deal this is for her. You seem to be seeing it as a reason not to trust her, in that she has a promiscuous past, and you don't know if you can trust her not to cheat on you. She seems to want to see you as a safe person, someone she can trust not to take advantage of her. You need to prove that to her, not just say it.
    She wants to get comfortable with me first.
    I thought the other night that she was ready to wa*k me cause she was feeling me etc. But when we tried that it was a no and i got frustrated and annoyed.

Again, your problem created due to your frustration, your wants, and your perspective. Don't push her, and don't have a timetable for these things. Get your own issues under control and don't get frustrated with her just because she's not doing what you'd expect her to do.
    She has so many friends who are 20+ I am scared she will get bored of a younger guy and run of to an older one again. She says she didnt like the older ones cause they always forgot what age she was and were pis*ed that she had to go in early, cant go out etc...
    I am different she says, she loves me. There is something that she never had before.

Again, realise that she chose you. Trust her choice and trust yourself to live up to her expectations. You have expectations, good and bad, of her, and she has good and bad expectations of you. Try and see what she exects of you, and see what you expect of her. Talk to her about it. Not argue, don't make ultimatums with each other, just talk about what you feel and want and be honest.

Then tell her that you are willing to wait, and explain why you reacted badly that time, and explain that you are not there to take advantage of her.
    Its hard to trust her because of all this and her closed nature. She was also in a 'loose' relationship when we actually got together(she ended with him the day after we got together)
    And while we were meeting(not together) she also met another guy once(she says he asked her to get with him and she said no because she wanted to see if I would ask her)

She was honest enough to tell you all this - this is a good sign, believe me. She needs to trust you to accept her and her past, and you need to trust her not to live up to your bad expectations of what she might do. It's easy to get hung up on "might"s and "could"s. Judge her on what she is doing, and judge yourself on what you're doing.
    She knows i feel all this and that I find it hard to be with her.
    last night she textd me after a fight saying "things have changed with us"
    She tried being more lovey with me etc.

This is her reaching out to you, and looking for your acceptance.
    I dont even smile at her any more(i ALWAYS smile at her, I cant help it). And when she tells me that she loves me I ask her why(I dont). Also saying that I trust her only sometimes(which is true as you can see above) and i make her feel like a real slut. Thats why we arent being affectionate for a while- to show me she aint a slut.

This is you not giving it to her. I can understand why you're not giving it to her, but you have to see that the reason you're not giving it to her is because you're worried about what she could do, not what she is doing.
    And when she tells me that she loves me I ask her why(I dont)
    I love her but...

This is what I meant by playing mind games. She is saying "I love you", and instead of telling her what you really think - that you love her too - you are asking her why she loves you. Don't do this. If you love her, tell her
    I really dont know what to do. I love her. She loves me.
    I dont want to break up but its really stressful on me(and prob on her but she wont talk about it)
    Any advice or points of view will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

You need to talk to each other, not fight. It's easy to get emotional and have a fight, and sometimes it is necessary. But if you love her, and you want to continue things with her, both of you will need to learn how to be open and communicate honestly with each other. That means you both need to be able to hear something the other person has to tell you, and not judge them, or allow your emotion to dictate your reactions.

If it helps, that's something that usually takes a long time to learn. Years.
    If I had to summarise advice for you it would be this:

1: Write down everything you've been feeling and everything you want. This doesn't have to be a letter you're going to send her, it's to clear your head of all the junk that's in it and organise your thoughts. Try and take the time to put some perspective on your actions, your reactions, and her actions and reactions. Decide how well you are able to deal with your own issues of jealousy and mistrust.

2: Find the time to sit down somewhere on monday where you can talk to each other uninterrupted, in private, where you will both feel comfortable.

3: Tell her you love her, because this is true, and honest.
    4: Tell her you are willing to wait as long as it takes for her to be comfortable being sexual with you, again, this is true and honest.
    5: Give her an honest appraisal of how well you are able to deal with the whole relationship, and how much effort you are willing to make to make it work.
    6: Go through whatever is on your bit of paper and tell her everything you need to.

7: LISTEN TO EVERYTHING SHE TELLS YOU. I mean LISTEN, don't hear. If you don't understand why she's telling you something, or what the context is, ask her to clarify it. Don't judge her, don't fly off the handle, and don't react straight away.

If it makes you feel any better, it took me over a decade to learn this sh!t.

Slutmonkey I really appreciate the time you must have spent on that insightful reply.

Just let me clear some things up also as I wasnt extremly detailed in the OP as my head was all over the place
    I take it to mean this refers to sex
    No. I have told her from day one I'll wait for her I was referring to **** or at most oral.

I didnt ask her out straight if she was raped. I asked her after we had talked about the surrounding issues. We were actually lying on my bed in each others arms.
    She is frightened of you judging her, or shouting at her, or calling her a slut, or dumping her
    I have told her that whenever she is ready I will not judge or slag or brush her aside etc.

I shouldn't have said I expected a **** from her as it sounds wrong.
    With what had happened that day I was expecting to 'move along'--thats sounds better. I know I should just be happy and wait for her though.
    you are asking her why she loves you.
    Im sorry I should be more clear. In the text she said that I dont smile at her. That I ask her why she loves me.
    But in actual fact this is wrong I do the opposite of everythin she said. I mean it, im not lying. I would never ask her why she loves me(what a stupid question)

The 7 points are really helpful.
    I have already written down some things on paper last week
    3: Tell her you love her, because this is true, and honest.
    4: Tell her you are willing to wait as long as it takes for her to be comfortable being sexual with you, again, this is true and honest.

I tell her that everyday. Many a time during the day too.
    She knows now that I can wait for her. Its a step back but I am prepared to do it. Besides if we just stayed doing what we do now it would get boring soon so I believe this can help.

Thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Theres not much point in coming on here askin a bunch of strangers to solve your trust issues with your GF, because they wont. You either trust her or you dont.

People lack trust in others because of lack of faith in themselves and lack of self worth. Perhaps you should find out why you are deficient in self worth and do something about it, rather than try and offload your insecurity on your GF.

Sounds to me like you shouldnt be in any relationship until you have this part of yourself sorted first, as it is going to plague every relationship from now on.

K-

I tell her that everyday. Many a time during the day too.
    She knows now that I can wait for her. Its a step back but I am prepared to do it. Besides if we just stayed doing what we do now it would get boring soon so I believe this can help.

Thanks for your help

A lot of guys your age would see it as a step back - believe me, it is as big step forward. It's good that you tell her you love her - now you must prove it to her emotionally, not just verbally. Again, some women have a big problem accepting that someone loves them, or more accurately accepting that they are worth loving. Keep at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

2.5 months.

that's less than 100 days.

go live and have some fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 daisybaby

A lot of guys your age would see it as a step back - believe me, it is as big step forward. It's good that you tell her you love her - now you must prove it to her emotionally, not just verbally. Again, some women have a big problem accepting that someone loves them, or more accurately accepting that they are worth loving. Keep at it.
    SOOO true. really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

How can you say that you love somebody when you debase the whole thing by saying you're angry because she wont wan k you. That doesn't sound anything like love to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

It sounds like she may be picking up pressure from you to put out whether or not thats what you're intending.

It could be possible that what happened to her could be related to this, some kind of punishment for not putting out.

She may not be telling you what happened not because she has something to hide but because shes ashamed and not sure that you will be able to "hold" her feelings.

People need to know its safe to tell the truth.

Advertisement