Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do i use for recording?

Options
  • 18-02-2006 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

hi i hav a laptop and when the house is free i try to make some rap music and record that with the instrumental.so far i just use the sound recorder on windows but that only records for 60 seconds at a time and i have to hold the mic to the speaker to the playing the music.whch does nt come out as well as i would like it.i have the instrumental on cd so what do i get that can record my voice for as long as i want and mix it with the instrumental that i have on cd?i could get a normal cd player with a recording funtion but that wouldnt enable me to mix my voice directly with the instrumental and also it would only be on cssette tape which nowadays is kinda a think of the past

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Hi,

You will achieve very poor results using the methods you describe. Here's a way of improving your recording technique at a minimal cost.

You need a piece of software called a ripper which will copy the instrumental track from CD to your computer (you will probably be able to find something like this for free on the web) and then a piece of software to enable you to record your voice, mix it with the instrumental, add effects, edit and clean the sound up etc. This is called a seuencer (or digital audio workstation) and there are loads of types available. The good ones (such as Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic) cost a lot of money but i think there are some free ones available too (suggestions from anybody else?)

Ideally to do this you should be spending at least hundreds of euros on a good microphone, software and a hardware interface but the method I described will give you vastly better results than what you've been doing now.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: You might find something useful to get you started here:
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Software/Windows/audio_editing.html

Advertisement