Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus ST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

'Scuse the pun, but it's all swings and roundabouts, I imagine we all realise track times are vastly different to point-point cross country ability. I remember years ago reading that the 90's shape Lotus Elan was the most usefully fast way from point a to point b at the time, not relevant but highlights the point.

OP - buy a Focus and you and BigBalls can have a race from Donegal - Kerry :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

And i am in my 30's...:D
    Understood :o I am in my 40's btw :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Gatster wrote:
    OP - buy a Focus and you and BigBalls can have a race from Donegal - Kerry :D

Not a bad Plan, and sounds like Fun:p

Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

mik_da_man wrote:
    Not a bad Plan, and sounds like Fun:p

Mik

I'd be up for that. When are you getting it anyway?? ;)

You better start saving for the Duratec remap though cause I'm off to Revo shortly and I'll be pushing 260 brake :D

But back to the thread, I still think 25bhp between cars is going to see them very close. The GTI pulls hard in all gears too, overtaking in 6th is a breeze for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Betty Swollocks

Big Balls wrote:

You better start saving for the Duratec remap though cause I'm off to Revo shortly and I'll be pushing 260 brake :D

But back to the thread, I still think 25bhp between cars is going to see them very close. The GTI pulls hard in all gears too, overtaking in 6th is a breeze for example.

more to do with power to weight and chassis set up..better on both counts with the focus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Big Balls wrote:

260bhp from a front wheel drive car. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

^imagine the torque steer :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

But figure the VW would be better in the wet!
    more to do with power to weight and chassis set up..better on both counts with the focus

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Big Balls wrote:

I'm confused :confused:

You are saying that 25bhp is virtually nothing, and that the VW pulls hard in every gear, but then you want to:

1/. Invalidate your warranty.

2/. Risk your insurance cover (I assume you'll disclose the 60bhp upgrade).

3/. Potentially ruin the handling. Hello big time torque steer (Focus RS has this with only 215bhp).

By remapping for 260bhp.

Do you think this is a wise or progressive move? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tiger Jim

weemcd wrote:
    ^imagine the torque steer :o

The big downside to (powerful) FWD cars... but a small price to pay for a fine handling machine like an ST Focus or a Golf GTI!

• Advertisement

Big Balls wrote:

Good stuff,

I am trying to arrange a test drive, but it's near impossible at the mo.

Once i get a spin and unless I Really don't like i'll order one straight away

But looking @ 10-12 weeks for delivery :mad:

About in time for my B' Day:D

Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

But looking @ 10-12 weeks for delivery :mad:

About in time for my B' Day:D

what a birthday present!!.:eek:
    best of luck with it(if you do go for an ST);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

isnt anyone interested in the new leon cupra! FFS 240 bhp standard with loads of kit. will wipe the floor against these two cars.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

isnt anyone interested in the new leon cupra! FFS 240 bhp standard with loads of kit. will wipe the floor against these two cars.

Obviously not. Not as a buying proposition anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

According to this list

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21203&page=5

...the ST is slower round the nurburgring than the outgoing Civic Type R, so I wonder where the Golf sits, can't find any references to it being driven round there? There you go, get a Type R (or the Integrale listed earlier!!!)

Did any of you look at the title of the thread for the above link???

The GT4 Nürburgring Time Thread Page 5

Has anyone seen the advertisment for the ST jebus thats one ugly car, they could have done something about the colour! bright orange! barf! does nothing at all for the car. Wouldn't buy one thats for sure, wouldnt even be on the sort list.

@ Hash, the Orange is a bit much,
    Have a look at some of the other links in the thread
    Blue is a LOT nicer IMO

Also any links to this 240 HP Leon?

I cant seem to get any info on it

Mik

Performance blue is the best colour imho. The orange is a bit ott right enough!

Signal Orange looks good on this classic however...

ostd06200421.jpg

I've only got some spy pics of the leon, here with dark body paint going to be 4wd also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

[PHP]Did any of you look at the title of the thread for the above link???
    [/PHP]

Sh!te, no, I didn't...back to reality. I looked at the name of the site, but didn't look further than the page. Oh dear me. Anyone any real stats?!?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭fletch

mik_da_man wrote:
    @ Hash, the Orange is a bit much,
    Have a look at some of the other links in the thread
    Blue is a LOT nicer IMO

Also any links to this 240 HP Leon?

I cant seem to get any info on it

Mik
    Some more pics and info here
    6060123.002.mini2L.jpg

chassis set up..better on both counts with the focus

Explain that a bit more??? You've been in one, covered 10,000 kms in a few months in one, driven it at close to the maximum speed, thrown it around twisties and pushed it until YOUR limits, not the cars, tell you to give up?? If you've driven the two cars, fair enough - make a stupid comment like the above but if you haven't... ?

"You are saying that 25bhp is virtually nothing, and that the VW pulls hard in every gear, but then you want to:

3/. Potentially ruin the handling. Hello big time torque steer (Focus RS has this with only 215bhp).

By remapping for 260bhp"

Never assume anything Henry. I have never hidden any remaps on cars from my insurance company before. If you'd like to see the letter Superchips (who by the way give you a full warranty on your car!) gave me for Hibernian that's no problem.

The remap I will be getting can be switched back to standard power, in the case where I would be THAT worried about it. I've had a remapped car in with VAG garages before and nothing was ever said. The comment you made regarding this however does suggest you don't know as much as you claim/are not as into your cars as much as you claim. Someone who is, wouldn't worry about warranty cover when they mention the words Duratec/Superchips/MTM/Revo. (do a little search for it on Google, it's amazing what you can learn on the internet ;) )

And finally, there is nothing to suggest that the MKV GTIs chassis cannot handle the power (anyone heard of an R32 here!?) 4WD granted but the same chassis none the less.

I covered 220kms in a little over 2hrs and 10 mins yesterday in my car and it didn't miss a beat once, I'll keep driving the car I OWN, you keep writing about a car you'd like to.

I went to see an ST today in Finglas
    didn't get to drive it:mad:
    But got a good look @ it
    Really nice car and really comfy

Think i'll be defo ordering one soon
    Just really want to get a spin in one
    Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭fletch

mik_da_man wrote:
    I went to see an ST today in Finglas
    didn't get to drive it:mad:
    But got a good look @ it
    Really nice car and really comfy

Think i'll be defo ordering one soon
    Just really want to get a spin in one
    Mik
    Why wouldn't they give ya a spin in it? Think I might wander over tomorrow and have a look at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Not sure if its been mentioned-didnt want to go trawling through 5pages of posts. Its to do with the blue car with the nice alloys on the first page that some people said was photoshopped.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/ this one has the ST alloys on it. If your a fan of fords, you will notice that every ST has these style wheels.They can cost extra but well worth it as the ones we got on our mondeo st220 saved our lives when we had a blowout at 70 mph. Thank god for run flats! Although one concern i have about them is due to their size and surface area,the noise can get a bit much.

fletch wrote:
    Why wouldn't they give ya a spin in it? Think I might wander over tomorrow and have a look at it

Didn't get a spin because it was sold just awaiting a customer to pick it up.

I tried my best to get a spin but no joy.

Have to say the engine sounds really nice when ya get the revs up:D

Mik

Not sure if its been mentioned-didnt want to go trawling through 5pages of posts. Its to do with the blue car with the nice alloys on the first page that some people said was photoshopped.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/ this one has the ST alloys on it. If your a fan of fords, you will notice that every ST has these style wheels.

They are the Mondeo ST220 wheels not the Focus ST wheels.
    Only the Mondeo St's have them
    They are not avaiable for as an option for the Focus ST as standard

i have asked the dealer about getting them on the Focus I want
    He said he dosent think i'll be able to get the wheels but he'll try.

I have to give him a bell today to see

Mik

Big Balls wrote:
    Explain that a bit more??? You've been in one, covered 10,000 kms in a few months in one, driven it at close to the maximum speed, thrown it around twisties and pushed it until YOUR limits, not the cars, tell you to give up?? If you've driven the two cars, fair enough - make a stupid comment like the above but if you haven't... ?

"You are saying that 25bhp is virtually nothing, and that the VW pulls hard in every gear, but then you want to:

By remapping for 260bhp"

Never assume anything Henry. I have never hidden any remaps on cars from my insurance company before. If you'd like to see the letter Superchips (who by the way give you a full warranty on your car!) gave me for Hibernian that's no problem.

The remap I will be getting can be switched back to standard power, in the case where I would be THAT worried about it. I've had a remapped car in with VAG garages before and nothing was ever said. The comment you made regarding this however does suggest you don't know as much as you claim/are not as into your cars as much as you claim. Someone who is, wouldn't worry about warranty cover when they mention the words Duratec/Superchips/MTM/Revo. (do a little search for it on Google, it's amazing what you can learn on the internet ;) )

And finally, there is nothing to suggest that the MKV GTIs chassis cannot handle the power (anyone heard of an R32 here!?) 4WD granted but the same chassis none the less.

I covered 220kms in a little over 2hrs and 10 mins yesterday in my car and it didn't miss a beat once, I'll keep driving the car I OWN, you keep writing about a car you'd like to.

I've less than no interest in arguing with you B.B.'s ;)

If you've disclosed fair play. How much extra did you have to pay btw?

The letter is your own concern. I am certain your manufacturers warranty is invalidated however. What Superchips might have said or what a VAG mechanic might have missed is irrelevant.

I've no interest in googling either, and prefer any car as the manufacturer made it. I still think, as do many others more knowledgeable than either of us, that the ST is the superior car. I'll be test driving and possibly ordering one shortly btw.

As regards ruining the handling to paraphrase - there's nothing to suggest that chassis can take an extra 60bhp either. I'm aware of the R32, but a 4wd setup cannot be compared to a tweaked fwd layout, as you know. Chalk and cheese. The earlier and much less powerful VR6 had fwd. Any clue there? ;)

p.s. The comment "chassis set up..better on both counts with the focus" wasn't mine - it came from Betty Swallocks.

I've less than no interest in arguing with you B.B.'s ;)

If you've disclosed fair play. How much extra did you have to pay btw?

Nothing. They said they'd review it at renewal time, I heard nothing from them.

The letter is your own concern. I am certain your manufacturers warranty is invalidated however. What Superchips might have said or what a VAG mechanic might have missed is irrelevant.

I'll repeat again, Superchips offer a full warranty.

I've no interest in googling either, and prefer any car as the manufacturer made it. I still think, as do many others more knowledgeable than either of us, that the ST is the superior car. I'll be test driving and possibly ordering one shortly btw.

*Think*, as opposed to *know*. I'll await to hear you've ordered one though.

As regards ruining the handling to paraphrase - there's nothing to suggest that chassis can take an extra 60bhp either. I'm aware of the R32, but a 4wd setup cannot be compared to a tweaked fwd layout, as you know. Chalk and cheese. The earlier and much less powerful VR6 had fwd. Any clue there? ;)

Read VW Driver (you'll probably say you don't want to and that's fair enough but save the uneducated spouting rubbish then;) ). I'm well aware of how you can ruin the performance and handling of a car, I've also read enough about what the remap companies can do for the GTI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tonne

Now, I've been looking at fast, comfortable, practical cars around the £20,000 mark for a good while now, and to cut a long story short, it came down to the Focus ST and Golf GTi (no surprises there really). I borrowed one of each over two separate weekends and drove the journey to work, around town, and took them out on a decent cruise.

First up, both are cracking cars, and either one would be a worthy "only car". The Golf is definitely well built, looks more understated than the ST, and when pushed, offers a slightly more agile ride on the twisty rounds. Hardly anything in it though. What didn't I like about the Golf? Well, the price for a start. £2,500 more for an equivalent spec. Then there's the lifeless engine note, elevated road noise compared to the ST, and ugly black bumper at the back, which on a white car (the colour I want) looks awful. Most of that is being picky though - it's a genuinely good car, and handled everything with ease. I even had a grin on my face after a good fast run!

Then there's the ST. I cannot emphasise how surprised I was with this car. I'd driven a normal 2nd generation Focus before and thought the build quality was average. In the ST, it's a different league - almost up to VW standards. So, looks on the outside and inside get the thumps up. Start the engine and you are treat to an unusual sound - one of 5 cylinders firing up - awesome! This car really sounds the business when pushed, but when you want to drive grandma around or cruise, it's quiet and smooth. Acceleration is immense, especially after 4000rpm. It's a more "gradual" feeling of power than the Golf, one that just won't stop! The MP3 compatible CD, Xenon lights, heated front screen…all add up to a remarkable package for the price. I had a grin on my face after driving the Golf, but after driving this, I was beaming from ear to ear.

You don't buy these sorts of car and worry about running costs, so I won't even bother discussing them, suffice to say the ST is not as thirsty as people would have you believe.

I've never been a "badge boy", where image is more important than the car itself. VW do produce fantastic quality cars, but that does not mean others cannot. The Focus ST is one car to really stand tall with the Golf, and at the lights, will leave the Golf in its dust. If all you are bothered about is image, then get the Golf. It will hold more value, but it costs more too - all things being equivalent. If you want a genuinely fast, fun, practical, comfortable, good looking "everyday" car, then the Focus ST is for you.

Needless to say, I orderd one and pick up my White Focus ST2, 5 door, 06 plate on March 1st. Next week.

Advertisement