Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus ST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I see an orange one every day in Bray, really nice car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

pburns wrote:
    The Golf V interior is not a patch on the MKIV. I mentioned this to one of the aforementioned VW salesmen & he threw a huff. 'Tis true though.

I've owned both GTIs, you're going over the top.

There are a few softer finishes in the MKIV. That's where the advantages end, the MKIV is not a patch on anything else the MKV has!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Saw both orange and blue STs yesterday at lyons of limerick. Very tasty. For some reason they have a Hummer H2 as well.

I've never driven a volkswagen I've really liked, and I've driven most of the range. After trying the alternatives I will always drive a ford just for the feel of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

What I'd like is a white GTI with the 18 inch wheels. I worked on only one of them, and it was beautiful. Not many cars can pull white off so well (that sounds wrong).

While I'm at it I'll show you the car I'd love (my dad's :D )

My dad's car

In the third picture you can see the nose of the Micra I'm now driving

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

GTI looks excellent in white.

I was up in Dublin at the w/e for the rugby (g'wan Munster!) and the ST was a joy to drive.

Good comfort, and loads of power when you need it for overtaking.

I got passed on the way up by a Renualt Laguna Esatate! who was going way too quick. Less than 1 mile later I saw a red Subaru Forester 2.5 XT under a flyover. He passed me and caught the Renault very quickly and justice was dispensed.

I even recognised the cop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

:D

AdFocusST.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Picking up my span new GTI tomorrow, what a wait !!

ST was never a contender, :p , smart alloys though !!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

fair play mr bungle. Money well spent unlike some on other posts (75k for pug206:confused: )
    Cant understand why VW didnt finish the car off...whats with that crappy half colour half plastic rear bumber:p

sneakyST wrote:
    Cant understand why VW didnt finish the car off...whats with that crappy half colour half plastic rear bumber:p

Me too !! Thats why I got the GTI in Black !! (to try for some kind of colour coding).

I had a 2004 MKV in Silver, was sweet with the alloys I had, but always had that miserable black 'valance' screaming out of the orse of the car.

Why o' why VW ??

i suppose white is not too bad with that bumper:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Changed over my insurance for the GTI for tomorrow, rang my insurance broker and got quoted an extra 330 lids. F*ckin' snakes, I had gotten a quote 3 months ago that it'd be 114 extra from about may until the end of the policy.

I told the guy to check it again, he came back with €110 extra.

Robbin' bastids !!

Remember to always ask twice !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

sneakyST wrote:

I'm not sure if you can do it for the GTI but you can get the bumper finished off in bodycolour. I cleaned a few with the full bumper and it was much more annoying than the standard black one

Squirrel wrote:
    I'm not sure if you can do it for the GTI but you can get the bumper finished off in bodycolour. I cleaned a few with the full bumper and it was much more annoying than the standard black one

In certain colours, the valance being coloured makes the car look too much like a 'blob' at the back IMO.

And it's not a factory extra, the garage may get it sprayed for you but it's not a factory extra.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Leave it standard!

I've 1300kms up on the ST now and the engine is getting better all the time.

I reset the computer and got 31mpg today on a fairly rapid but mixed 90 mile run with a few decent opportunities to overtake. The in gear punch really is something and the 5 cylinder growl is intoxicating.

It's excellent and getting better still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Squirrel wrote:

Yeah I get the impression lately that it would be cheaper for them to just have all their models bodycolour but that they go out of their way to make the entry level models stand out as cheap looking.

VW Golf GTI gives chase.....no need to modify for more power.....

Special GTI marks big 3-0

Age is clearly no barrier in the hot hatch market - just ask Volkswagen! It's celebrating 30 years of the Golf GTI, and has come up with this, the Edition 30.

Rivals such as the Ford Focus ST and Vauxhall Astra VXR had better watch out, as the old timer has some new tricks up its sleeve. Key to its appeal is a boost in power, taking the T-FSI unit up from 197bhp to 228bhp.

To set it apart from the standard car, the anniversary edition has purposeful black 18-inch alloys. Lower front and rear spoilers, side skirts and darkened
    tail-lights complete the stealthy look. Inside, there's new diamond patterned cloth instead of the standard tartan weave, while a golf ball-style gearknob harks back to the MkI GTI. Red stitching on the steering wheel and Edition 30-engraved door sills also remind occupants they're in something special.

The car was unveiled at a Golf event in Schalke, Germany, and is officially a design study. However, the GTI celebrates its 30th anniversary in the UK in 2007, so expect the mean-looking machine to hit showrooms next year.

Any link to that Mr Ford?

Here you go.

Cheers. No sooner had I asked when I found it on VW Vortex also.

All this talk of ST's.. I decided to ring Hibernian to see how much I could insure one for. I already have the policy with them.. "is that a sports car"? I replied, well it's the same class of car that's already on the policy, same price range, similar power etc.

"I'll have to ring you back within the hour"... :eek:

• Advertisement

Prepare yourself for a big shock.

I was with them for many years, a "model risk" and they wanted stupid money for TP only.

Let us know how you get on please. I got comp. for a little under €1000 from St. Paul eventually btw.

24, single, 4 points and my job wouldn't be the cheapest to insure. :D

In my defence, I have a decent NCB.

We'll see........

Big Balls wrote:
    Maybe the GTI takes a few Ks to get an exhaust note with a loosened up engine but it without doubt has one.

Stick the Car into 'S' if you have DSG and you'll get the notes you are looking for !!!

I cannot wait to meet one of you lads in an ST on the road, I really can't!

Big Balls your not thinking of going over to the other side and getting an ST ??? :confused:

:eek: (Cough, Traitor, Cough):eek:

Hibernian told me they dont insure the ST.

Henry- a few ST owners are going to meet up if you are interested. Dont have a date yet.

mrbungle wrote:
    Big Balls your not thinking of going over to the other side and getting an ST ??? :confused:

:eek: (Cough, Traitor, Cough):eek:

Nope. It'd be like taking €7,000 and throwing it out the window here behind me. Just couldn't take the depreciation hit on a Ford again. I've owned two and I said never again.

Just curious to see what they quote me out of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

That new GTI look's good, 3 more hp than the st considering it's only a 2 litre:cool:

OPC has more power again. Not that I'd buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Not that I'd buy one

Saw one at White Bishop the other day in an Electric Blue, can't deny it looks amazing. Why wouldn't you buy one, apart from your love of Fords :confused::)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

240 HP in a front wheel drive car:eek:
    the Astra has got too much power for it's own good.
    Lots of tourque steer. and the cornering at speed is a bit scary.

Have a look at some revews - I know top gear did a show with it and a GTI and a megane.
    It was the quickest but the most unstable at speed

• Advertisement

Gatster wrote:
    Saw one at White Bishop the other day in an Electric Blue, can't deny it looks amazing. Why wouldn't you buy one, apart from your love of Fords :confused::)

I already have an ST, and besides I wouldn't get an Employees discount on anything non Ford.

Advertisement