Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question - How many processes do you have running in Windows XP home/pro?

• 18-02-2006 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I'm curious about this: What is the average number of processes and memory usage on your average windows XP setup when just after booting into windows - before you do anything? Do a ctrl-alt-del and let us know!

I have 26 processes running coming into windows. My most bloaty program would be AVG upon startup at 8,884K and it's manager AVGamsvr (another 5Mb).

Just thought I'd ask since I did a reinstall recently.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Xp has 17 from a fresh reinstall.
    Avg adds 3 more and others like firewalls add more.

I have 30 in total at startup, Fraps and a Wireless USB Ap being the ones that arent needed as such, so would leave me with 28. But i have lots of ram so they dotn affect the pc much.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

KdjaC wrote:
    Xp has 17 from a fresh reinstall.
    Avg adds 3 more and others like firewalls add more.

I have 30 in total at startup, Fraps and a Wireless USB Ap being the ones that arent needed as such, so would leave me with 28. But i have lots of ram so they dotn affect the pc much.

kdjac

Hmm... That's good going - how did you manually trim it down to 17? Default I got was 25 before I did anything with it. I'm interested to see what ones you could do without?
    Here's a shot of my own processes. Ignore that I got Iexplore, explorer, Dumeter (internet time tool), usbtapnp(USB ISDN), winvnc (for external pc control) avgcc, avgamsvr, avgupsvc (avg) open...

Just wondering if anyone see anything un-necessary here in the rest. Actually a website by Blackviper has good tips on this but currently unavailable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i've got 61 atm... loads of stuff like iTunesHelper.exe and realsched.exe (i assume that's linked to real player) that i'm not even using, and haven't used in ages. but like kdjac said, i've lots of ram so they're barely making any impact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Install fresh windows, in msconfig kill everything. Reboot pc kill messenger service in Services. Pc should have 17 and then add as normal.

Handy to do that as most of the crap doesnt need to be running.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

KdjaC wrote:
    Install fresh windows, in msconfig kill everything. Reboot pc kill messenger service in Services. Pc should have 17 and then add as normal.

Handy to do that as most of the crap doesnt need to be running.

kdjac

Its worth turning off the remote administration, remote registry and remote connections services as in a home enviroment they really arnt needed unless you have too much free time on your hands :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

20 from startup here, would be 19 but Logitech mouse/keyboard needs two processes.

I use StartupMonitor to warn me when anything is added to the startup list, and to allow/forbid it. :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

37 from startup here :o

Is there any site that shows what XP Pro processes are not needed to run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Back Of The Net! 56

Advertisement