Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying A House

Options
  • 18-02-2006 9:32pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've got approval for a home loan so I'm looking around to see what I can afford but still be able have a decent standard of living.

So I'm trying to come up with a budget.

What I'm aiming for is a one bedroom apartment.

So what I'm basically trying to do is figure out the running costs so I can see what I can and can’t afford realistically.

So I was wondering would people be able to give me an estimate for the following items:

Food
    TV
    Elec
    Gas
    Phone
    Broadband
    House insurance

I've also taken into account other things like travel, going out, weekly spending money and stuff like that but if any one can think of any other stuff please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

Rough guide for 2 of us is:

Food - E100 per week
    TV - E57 per month ( sky )
    Elec - E100 - 150 per bill
    Gas - E130 per bill
    Phone & BB - E130 - 150 every 2 months
    Insurance - can't think of top of my head...not that much

Do you drive? Think of that.
    Waste charges

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

another one to add to that list skye is the maintenance, that will vary depending on where you get your apt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

skye wrote:
    Rough guide for 2 of us is:

Food - E100 per week
    TV - E57 per month ( sky )
    Elec - E100 - 150 per bill
    Gas - E130 per bill
    Phone & BB - E130 - 150 every 2 months
    Insurance - can't think of top of my head...not that much

Do you drive? Think of that.
    Waste charges

Thanks for that.

Yeah I drive so I've a figure for that (petrol and insurance).

Waster charges are €6per bin so I can factor that.

Thats for 2 people so I cold maybe put use half of that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

utilities inc elec, gas if there will be any in an apartment, cable or basic sky tv, and telephone/internet, will be circa 2 grand. factor another 1200 for service charges on your apartment. also factor 500 for bus fares or luas, or about 3-4 grand minimum to run a second hand car inclusive of fuel, insurance tax and depreciation/finance.
    food is about 1000 a year approx.
    a basica rule is u can apportion 50% of take home income to your home. however this is complicated by increasing your income by renting a room, or reducing your lifestyle.
    my personal advice is buy the best u can afford , try buying a freehold house in preference to an apartment, u at least then own something, and there will be no service charges. property always goes up in value over time, borrow as much as u can afford to, and cut back for a few years if u need to. around 90% of the wealth of an average person is probably their home and any other investment prooerty they own. that says alot tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

Glad to help...I always try to add a little extra onto what I think bills will be so then if it's less I have extra dosh for my money pot!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Management Fees
    Car Insurance
    Tax
    Insurance House
    Food
    Bills
    (TV
    Elec
    Gas
    Phone
    Broadband)
    Car
    Going Out
    Travel
    Weekly Spend
    Savings

These are the items I'm trying to budget for. Do I have most things covered there?

I have figures for some but not all so any helo would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Food =100 per month
    TV - License 15 per month, NTL digital 60 euro for 2 months
    Elec - @ 50 euro a month
    Gas - nothing. Oil 350 a year.
    Phone - ehhh like 80 a month
    Broadband - IBB 48 per month
    House insurance - 25 per month

Don't forget about mortgage protection and life insurance. Also, make sure you have some money on the side for stupid things like "fridge breaks down", "Replace cat tyre". I get @ 150 unanticipated bill each month.

bubby wrote:

Don't forget about mortgage protection and life insurance.

Also, make sure you have some money on the side for stupid things like "fridge breaks down", "Replace cat tyre". I get @ 150 unanticipated bill each month.

How much would the mortgage protection and life insurance be? Where would the best place be to go?

Luckly enough my Dad is handy with most diy/car/elec problems so hopefully in that respect I wont have anything to worry about!

Advertisement