Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT BB Plus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

irishisptest

download.. 2.57 Mbps
    upload...... 319 kbps

Maxspeed test
    Download speed...2,232.22
    upload speed..........319.24

the usual for me anyways on the irishisptest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

mines fine always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

can anyone suggest a speed test that doesn't require java ? (just don't wanna install it for a quick test)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

hellboy99 wrote:
    anyone else having problems with Esat BB PLUS service tonight ? I'm on a 3MB connection and I'm only getting download speeds of between 340kbps - 533kbps

Yup is happening me alot recently in the evenings I then have to restart the router to bring the spped back up really annoying considering i'm paying for a 3mb service and not getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

After my own netgear router went belly up today, I've had to start using the supplied USB modem again and my connection has been dropping every 10 minutes on average....also 3mb also BT, Dundalk exchange though.

I can't check my line stats on this piece of sh*t modem but on the netgear I was getting some woeful SNR values and have put the problems down to this....still waiting for BT to get back to me.
    I think the problem goes back to them switching off interleaving along with the increase of speed V quality of copper between me an the exchange.

At the moment I'd be better off on 56k tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

Wertz wrote:
    After my own netgear router went belly up today, I've had to start using the supplied USB modem again and my connection has been dropping every 10 minutes on average....also 3mb also BT, Dundalk exchange though.

Mine was doing that too.
    Stop using USB and use a network cable to connect the router to the computer. It will stop dropping the connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

My connection drops like 50 times a day.
    Though I'm stuck with a usb-only device :rolleyes:

Metacortex wrote:
    Mine was doing that too.
    Stop using USB and use a network cable to connect the router to the computer. It will stop dropping the connection.

Believe me I'd drop the USB in a shot....but there is no ethernet port on this POS...BT "gave" it to me about 3 yrs back, and seemingly would like €50 for an updated one lol.

Fired off two eMails last 4 days about this problem and nothing but a confirmation of receipt mail back...looks like I'm going to have to resort to sitting on hold for three hours to be run through a checklist I know won't solve my problem...

Wertz wrote:
    Believe me I'd drop the USB in a shot....but there is no ethernet port on this POS...BT "gave" it to me about 3 yrs back, and seemingly would like €50 for an updated one lol.
    I'm using that old one aswell... no ethernet for me either.
    As part of the deal at the time, and having spent well over 12 months with them already, I now own it... whoop-te-doo. :rolleyes:

FYI, if you want to check your line stats with the taskbar applet for that modem, open the ADSL Control and Status and CTRL+SHIFT click on the ZyXEL image... this'll add an 'Advanced' button where you can go in and look at the line stats etc.
    tbh I've looked in there, but I can't make head nor tail of it... I'm not a telecoms engineer, so these stats are fairly meaningless to me.

Sent an email to BT there... but I won't hold my breath.
    Time to start broadband shopping again methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Wertz wrote:

Wertz not too sure when you bought the BT Plus package or if you were upgraded automatically when they brought it out a year or two ago.

If its the later your entitled to a free USB/ethernet modem. When I was upgraded I never got it didnt bother me much but then I needed ethernet for linux as there was no USB drivers for the 610 piece of $hit. So I rang Customer Care told them I never recieved it and they sent it out F.O.C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

well fellas I just ordered the whole kit and kaboodle from BT, as I outlined above I went for the wireless modem for €40 quids. This was like 1 week ago, I sincerely hope I don't be getting mad shoddy dropped lines.

FYI, if you want to check your line stats with the taskbar applet for that modem, open the ADSL Control and Status and CTRL+SHIFT click on the ZyXEL image... this'll add an 'Advanced' button where you can go in and look at the line stats etc.
    tbh I've looked in there, but I can't make head nor tail of it... I'm not a telecoms engineer, so these stats are fairly meaningless to me.

Oh nice...I was beginning to go nuts not being able to check the SNR values (since that is the route cause of my synch loss and connection drop/timeouts ( 12 since I logged in at 5.30 this evening :rolleyes: ))
    I'm no engineer either but I've picked up enough from researching my problems the last few weeks to get the gist of what's going on with most of the stats.
    How did you happen across this feature? Tech support? Any idea how you copy the event log?
    ^whitey^ wrote:
    Wertz not too sure when you bought the BT Plus package or if you were upgraded automatically when they brought it out a year or two ago.

If its the later your entitled to a free USB/ethernet modem. When I was upgraded I never got it didnt bother me much but then I needed ethernet for linux as there was no USB drivers for the 610 piece of $hit. So I rang Customer Care told them I never recieved it and they sent it out F.O.C

Good call...had this one since early summer 03....only thing I got when they upgraded the line was a trial copy of norton net security (which has come in pretty handy since I lost my router and firewall :mad: )
    I'm waiting for netgear to get me an RMA no. and most likely a replacement unit which I'd prolly have before BT got me out a newer model...

Regardless of what I'm using, the problem is with the line and I think with them having disabled interleaving at the exchange during the upgrade...

Wertz wrote:
    How did you happen across this feature? Tech support?
    Heh, it's a long story... while using reshack I noticed some unused dialogs in the tray app that looked like they had some tastey settings... from there, it was just a lot of googling looking for the key combo.
    Daft the way they're hidden at all really.
    Wertz wrote:
    Any idea how you copy the event log?
    Can't say I've ever tried.

As far as my problems with IOLBB go, my speeds are alright... pings seem normal, but the bloody disconnects are driving me bananas... especially when I'm in the middle of a game that takes a good 5 minutes to start up again.
    Looking at the other packages out there, I'm paying pretty much top-dorrar, and I expect a stable conny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

i got Esat broadband when it first came out and i'm still using the ZyXEL PRESTIGE 630 ADSL Modem i got a few years back, can i get a new replacement modem from them ?

hellboy99 wrote:
    i got Esat broadband when it first came out and i'm still using the ZyXEL PRESTIGE 630 ADSL Modem i got a few years back, can i get a new replacement modem from them ?
    I've heard of people getting replacements for this equipment off BT alright... since the blasted thing doesn't like Linux (or Macs afaik).

Although judging by this...
    ...EsatBT are probably being tight-arses about it.

*wonders if a windows pc was a stated requirement in contract*
    ho hum tbh

Advertisement