Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't Dance

• 18-02-2006 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I'm in my late 20s and don't go out much, I'm also shy and very self concious. I can't dance and would like to learn how to, does anyone have any advice on how to learn ?

All advice appreciated.

Comments

If you mean at a club, noone can. Trust me. There are guys who act like pinocchio with a drunk puppeteer.

If you're female, just wriggle with the beat and noone will mind. If you're male, ...likewise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Advice: If you're not black, forget it. My GF tells me that all the time. I honestly hate dancing, I'd rather actually go to the denist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Get yourself to a salsa class.
    Honestly they will teach you how to move to the music and how to use your hips and dance with out thinking about your feet and elbows.

nitrogen unhelpful replies will get you banned from this forum.
    Do read the charter and abide by the rules while posting.
    Die dulci freure
    Thaedydal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Salsa? In a niteclub? Hahaha I dont think so. You'd get laughed and quite possibly beaten up. Just get half drunk and stop caring what you look like. EVERYONE looks like a sap when they dance. Except for me. Im absolutely killer on the dancefloor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I'm in my late 20s and don't go out much, I'm also shy and very self concious. I can't dance and would like to learn how to, does anyone have any advice on how to learn ?

All advice appreciated.
    Welcome to my world.
    Like some1 else said, at niteclubs an stuff every1's so hammered that a) they won't notice your ineptitude, and b) the quality of their dancing has suffered due to the high intake of intoxicants...

I wouldn't worry about the inability to dance mate. Most of us can't anyway.

It's the self-esteem and self-confidence problem that you should concentrate on remedying...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's the self-esteem and self-confidence problem that you should concentrate on remedying...

That is were the salsa classes would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Take some hip hop. You'll get used to very simple rythms which is the first step. Salsa can have complicated rythms and has a formality which may intimidate someone who thinks they arent able to dance.

Also in Salsa you need to learn partnering which is an added task and may be overwhelming.

Even if you dont apply it when you're out it will get you in touch with your body and sensitise you to different beats and rtyhms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Take some hip hop. You'll get used to very simple rythms which is the first step. Salsa can have complicated rythms and has a formality which may intimidate someone who thinks they arent able to dance.

Even if you dont apply it when you're out it will get you in touch with your body and sensitise you to different beats and rtyhms.

Exactly, even listen to some hip hop, its usually a very simple 1, 2, 3, 4 beat, tap your foot to it, bounce your leg to it, the other one, stand up....your dancing(as good as anyone else will in the clubs here.)

Your shyness and confidence, you may get some of that if the dancing goes ok.

Try both salsa and hip hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

What kind of music are you dancing to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Don't go to classes. You'll just look like an idiot on the dancefloor. Just put on some music with lots of rythm and try and feel the moves. Simple steps, like in the film "Hitch" are all that you need. Clap your hands a lot and move with the music. Let it flow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This thread will probably help you a good bit.

Basically just..

1. Get quite drunk
    2. Try to copy what other people are doing
    and 3. Don't start getting experimental just yet!

I went into a bit too much detail in that other thread :/ You'd swear I was a pro or somethin!

Just have fun and realise that 95% of people in the club are p!ssed, so if you started trying out your breakdancing moves, they'd probably join in! I know I would :D

I wouldn't really recommend classes either tbh... There's no need really, it's a bit of a waste of money, and it'll only make you look a bit silly if you start doing routines :p It's a good idea to get your confidence going, but so is biting the bullet!

I was never a dancer, never into discos or anything like that when I was younger, but at some 21st with my girlfriend, I was a bit tipsy, and she kinda tricked me into gettin on the dance-floor. At first I felt stupid, especially since I was the only bloke on the floor, and I knew nobody there except her -- and her family! :eek:

But I haven't stopped dancin since, mate :p Just get the drink into ye and forget about everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

i cant dance........
    i dont give a fu*k cos ill never see these ppl again

go out have a laugh ;)

life is too shot too worry about what other ppl think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Salsa? In a niteclub? Hahaha I dont think so.
    Its a confidence thing, not a dance style thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Salsa is the shiznit!!! Take a class!!! And in a nightclub it's not about doing actual proper dance moves, it's about being comfortable with yourself, people go dancing in a club or anywhere, and they look stupid because all they're thinking is "oh god oh god oh god", and they're projecting it all over the shop.

Just get out there, and have a laugh, don't worry about what you're doing just make dam sure you're doing it!

oh one more thing, if you get the chance to dance with a lady, hold 'em close, and spin 'em round, that **** is phat :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Any dance class would help you a great deal, teaches you rythm and would help improve your self confidence on the dance floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

As somebody up there said, learn to count to 4. It's really that simple. Listen to stuff on the radio - can you tap your foot in time to it or something. If you can, then dancing isn't much more - just moving bits around more than just tapping your feet...

if you have difficulty feeling a simple 1 2 3 4 on a song, then you *might* hav a problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Get some drink into yourself, get on the dancefloor and take the pi$$. Mimic some john travolta moves(You look like a tule but some women find if funny) or just move in anyway possible to the music. Nobodys gonna care how good or bad your dancing is. Its the No pants dance that counts!!
    Have some fun out there, dancing in a club isin't actually about the dancing really. BTW i'm assuming your talkin bout dancing in a club and not ballroom(thats different altogether)

Why dont you go out? Going out is a good cure for shyness. And you make tons of friends. I didn go out much in my early teens 12-16 and ive regretted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

What strikes me about some of the advice being given to the OP is that the focus is still on the opinion of what other people think of him on the dance floor.

OP- The advice I give you - is soley for YOU to be able to enjoy dance, for you to sensitize your ears to rhythm, as dance can be a physical, emotional and spiritual experience, but it all depends on what you put into it. This is for you. This is YOUR body. The performance part of it is secondary.

We all have rhythm as we all have a hearbeat. It is the most primal part of us. Music is there to help us connect with that.

I think you should start by sitting in your room with some hip hop and just get used to the beats and then move around. I can IM you some mp3files if you want if you dont have any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

Christ I never dance, that said I'm not really into nightclubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

If you are going to nightclubs it doesn't really matter at all. Everyone's there to enjoy themselves and to have a good time, not to watch how other people dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lyrama

Dancing's about expressing yourself so just do what feels natural to you and just have fun doing it, knacker dance is superfantastich! Your friends are brilliant indicators, they'll send you signals if your doing anything too dire unless they're pissed that is and if they are then it doesn't matter what you dance like! If you want to go to lessons go and learn ballet! I got to grade 5/6 stopped and my balance and grace has uh.. fallen, I'm now a clutz :rolleyes: !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

If your self conscious and believe people are watching you then you will never be able to dance!

Just forget about everybody. Let your body relax and the music do the talking!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

The only kinda dancing I do is skanking and hardcore dancing, and since the OP won't say what kinda place he's dancing in, or to what music, there's no point giving my advice unless its needed.

If its dancing in a night club however, from what I've seen, you basically just act like a cat on acid trying to bat dust particles outta the air as they pass through beams of light, it can't be thathard to look so silly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

If you're not female, black or a gay male then dont even try to dance.
    Because you wont be able too. Just look around at all the men trying to dance who think they can dance and think 'At least i know i cant dance and dont look like those fooools' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ye go with the salsa, one it will get you out there and 2 you may meet someone that way and unless you less then 16 or like a good workout skip the hip hop.

The salsa will teach you basic rythme from which you can learn the basics of drunk dancing with minimal fuss

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

JimmySmith wrote:
    If you're not female, black or a gay male then dont even try to dance.
    Because you wont be able too.

If you're straight, white and male, ignore the idiotic stereotypes and give it a go. You may never look back. Women love straight guys who can dance well. Believe me, I know... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

OP,

My husband is a truly terrible dancer, lol.....but it was his confidence & the fact was able to laugh about his lack of co-ordination on the dance floor that made him a hit with the ladies & attracted me.....play music around the house & learn to enjoy it.....start with a foot tap & move onto a bum wiggle, etc, etc....the whole point is that YOU have fun & enjoy yourself, no-one else (or what they think) matters....I don't think good dancers are attractive without a smile and a friendly attitude....like-wise bad dancers can be very attractive if they are happy and able to laugh at themselves while having a good time....

If you really want to learn to dance then why not take somthing like salsa lessons - you maybe wouldn't do a wee samba on the middle of the dancefloor of the local niteclub - but it may give you a bit more confidence about moving your feet to a beat and what do with your arms while you do that....;)

Best of luck :)

Advertisement