Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VC++ dll input dialog box

Options
  • 18-02-2006 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Is it possible to write a Win32 DLL in VC++ (not using MFC) that can have a pop-up box to allow a user to input some values? (So I need a text field that accepts a value)

Can anyone point me to examples/tutorials to do this?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Yes it can. Write a DLL with an exported function that creates a dialog (you'll need another function to process dialog messages) and then returns the required data to the calling program/process.

Tell us more about the whole project; how many values? text? numbers?
    What you are trying to achieve in the project? (we may have an alternative implementation idea)?
    What languages and technologies you are trying to use/are you familar with etc. Tell us what bits you already know e.g. can you implement the pop-up box in a Win32 EXE?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

They're two separate things really, so break it up and learn how to do each individually and then stick them back together. First figure out how to make a dialog box that accepts values and returns them, and then figure out how to write a DLL that exports a function. There are tutorials on each all over the net, you should have no trouble finding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

daymobrew wrote:
    Tell us more about the whole project; how many values? text? numbers

I have two exe's that need's to share a dll and i wanted to put the authentication dialog box in the dll so it pop's up and asks for a username and password when the function in the dll is called.

That's pretty much all there is to it

satchmo wrote:
    They're two separate things really, so break it up and learn how to do each individually and then stick them back together.

Great - thanks. I thought this can only be accomplished by using MFC-based applications and not pure Win32 DLL apps written in VC++. I will have a look.

The MFC library is purely a wrapper to make the underlying Win32 functionality easier to work, so there's nothing you can do with MFC that you can't do with Win32. Winprog.org has a good beginners Win32 tutorial, it should have everything you need to get going.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. I've successfully managed to implement my solution in the dll.

"When a man is hungry..........., teach him to fish............."

Good stuff. Makes a nice change to the "please finish my homework for me" threads..

Advertisement