Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil or Gas??

Options
  • 18-02-2006 11:42pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A choice i have to make is over oil or gas (mains) along with the building of a new extension.

I have oil at the minute but the boiler is old and will have to replaced anyhow.
    I don't have room for pellets, geo etc.

So,
    based on your gas costs per year V oil,cleanliness of gas and no tank, which would be the best option??

I am pointed to Gas at the minute - can some of ye share your yearly gas costs --basic heating plus hob.

thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

3 bed semi - empty during working hours, so the heating is set for a hour in the morning, half hour mid day then on for the evening - gas hob - hot water all day - €120 for two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

gas is cheaper than oil but i dont think theres alot in it anymore. gas is alot cheaper in th uk than here. they dont have large standing charges there like here.
    personalyy id go with gas if you have the option. its fit and forget, no topping up oil tanks, and just pay by direct debit. simple the way it was meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dras

There is no question that gas is the way to go.

Natural gas is about 4c per kWh, oil is about 6c per kWh.

Efficiency of condensing gas boiler is maybe 85%, oil boiler maybe 65%.

Overall cost of actual heating about 5c per kWh for gas and about 9c per kWh for oil boiler.

No contest even before you look at instant hot water (no hot water tank required), no oil deliveries, no oil tank, no air locks, no running out in the middle of winter, etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dderd

I'd go with gas. Cheaper, cleaner and no hassle with running out of oil and it getting airlocked and then sitting in the cold waiting for the delivery.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

having done my share of renting over the years and going between gas & oil - I'd choose gas if I had the option - especially if it's mainline gas. It's just so convenient. Why is it that oil always runs out at the weekend? or the coldest night of the year? Cost wise oil has always worked out dearer but I know that gas is going up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement