Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do few Irish women buy Irish fashion?

• 19-02-2006 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Seems lots of Irish women are happy buying from the high street chains and seem to lack an individual sense of style :rolleyes:

Theres lots of Irish clothes designers to suit all budgets out there. So why dont you wear some Irish designs? Is it?

Dont know where their shops are....
    Clothes are too expensive....
    Styles are not for me....
    I dont like to look too different....
    I always buy brand x....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Most of the Irish designers have to get their clothes made abroad at this stage as it is too expensive to get them made in Ireland though there is a small industry here. My dad was a fashion designer and I would still buy decent Irish clothes if available but they are hard to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I'm guessing that they just don't really like the styles available. How someone dresses is a personal choice. You can't tell them they should be buying something if they don't like it.

AWear is Irish and it seems to be pretty popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I don't know of any Irish designers who are relatively cheap.
    Names?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Most irish designers seem to think fashion is long over-elaborately knitted cardigans layered over white linen shifts. I'm being a bit overly generic here, but i genuinely haven't seen any irish fashion that i want to buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

LadyLotts wrote:
    I'm guessing that they just don't really like the styles available. How someone dresses is a personal choice. You can't tell them they should be buying something if they don't like it.

Soo true, I agree.
    CathyMoran wrote:
    I would still buy decent Irish clothes if available but they are hard to find.

Theres quite a bit of marketing needed Cathy I agree with that.

dudara wrote:
    Most irish designers seem to think fashion is long over-elaborately knitted cardigans layered over white linen shifts. I'm being a bit overly generic here, but i genuinely haven't seen any irish fashion that i want to buy

Interesting point but I dont agree, theres some doing contemporary knitwear alright but theres lots of other designers around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

i have a pretty individual style, and most of it comes from chain stores charity shops and sesi, mainly because of the prices. a lot of people cant afford unique irish designer prices-ofen those considered cheap are still relativly expensive.
    just because people shop in high street stores doesnt mean they lack individual style, its how they put their clothes together that makes it appear generic and trendy.
    Saying that, im not aware of any affordable irish designers-im sure there must be some around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I have some stuff by Quin & Donnelly but most Irish stuff is hard to find, expensive and not always fitted for young women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

I buy what I like the look of I dont ever consider where it was made as affecting my choice. If there was more irish fashion in the shops then Id see it more and maybe more likely to buy it. There used to be some nice stuff in georges arcade allright. id never buy something that was slightly dearer than a foreign make just because it was irish that wouldnt make sense? my mates a desginer and Id buy her stuff but thats because she makes stuff especially for me if I ask her to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Ireland is too arty. People aren't exactly flash here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Dont know where their shops are.... Tick
    Clothes are too expensive.... Tick usually as I'm only a poor lickle student
    Styles are not for me.... Tick as someone said already too arty, and very haute couture
    I dont like to look too different.... X I buy what clothes I like and can afford
    I always buy brand x.... X no I like a whole variety of clothing and buy what styles I like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Because they tend to be tweed heavy and "celtic" - ideal if you're an extra from Braveheart but not appealing to anyone under 60. If Avoca is anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I can't think of any high street shops that are Irish, except for A-Wear and Sasha. Sasha is a dump and A-Wear can miss the target an awful lot. There are Irish boutiques of course, a lot of them do not carry Irish-made clothes.

The only Irish designer I can think of off the top of my head is John Rocca... I have looked at his clothes in Debenhams and left empty handed and un-impressed. I have no idea who his clothes are aimed at, as I've never seen anyone walking around head to toe in his gear! Perhaps I'm not moving in the "right circles" for that though ;)

By the way, I don't think that "not buying Irish" shows that people have a lack of individual style, it just means that we have a lot more options and we're happy to avail of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rocketman

I just bought some Lingerie from an Irish company ( www.milaslingerie.com ) who were suggested to me by someone on a boards.ie forum.

Irish people need to start supporting Irish companies and keep their money in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

But if they don't like the products Irish companies are buying then why should they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rocketman

I totally agree with you.... But even if the product is not irish you should still buy them from Irish companies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

I can think of a few successful Irish designers. Paul Costelloe being one, Orla Kiely being another. Irish designers tend to be very expensive, as are all designers, but the same prestige isn't associated with clothes designed by Irish designers as with French or Italian couture designers or fashion houses. In Ireland, people buy for names, not for talents. They'd happily buy a Gucci over a Paul Costelloe becasue the label is way more "LOOK AT ME!" In a way, it makes us stuck up- we're not very cultured, we just follow the fashion mould.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

For the most part they are just too expensive like Louise Kennedy and Quinn&Donnelly. I don't really know many Irish designers that are less expensive

Advertisement