Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The English Comparative - are this years questions fixed?

Options
  • 19-02-2006 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I was just wondering how the English comparative works? Last year, General Viewpoint and Vision and Literary Genre came up, so does that mean this year it'll definitely be Culture & Context and Theme/Issue. or could it be any of the four again? Nothing seems to have come up two years in a row going over the papers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

heya..
    my teacher hinted to us dat its cultural context and literary genre..
    we have only focused on cultural context lately so id say dats coming up..

do u no ne gud engligh revision sites

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

all signs are definitely pointing towards cultural context, but because it's so obvious they might screw us over so don't bank on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

according to my teacher:
    there are 4, but we only have to cover 3 this year
    -literary genre
    -theme or issue
    -cultural context

and we will get 2 of those on the exam paper.
    "vision and viewpoint" isnt "on our course" so to speak..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I find literary genre pretty difficult, I'll try and leave that out. Theme and Cultural Context are fairly handy at answering imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

i find literary genre easy but cultural context hard. Literary Genre has come up for the past couple of years so it probably won't come up this year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

other people around the country have done the mocks already ask them? theres 3 companies doing it, i know what came up in a certain companys paper but i dont know whats coming up in ours which is the ones from the examcraft company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

I presumed that whoever was asking was wondering about the actual leaving cert?

i dont have a clue about whats gonna come up ion the mocks, but i dont care much either really...

Theme and issue is handy, cultural context is a tad harder, and i havent actually done an essay on literary genre yet.. so im not sure yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I find theme or issue to be the easiest one, the other two are equally a bit awkward for me. So knowing my luck, they'll come up =(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

I find literary genre by far the easiest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Cultural Context is a beaut of a question, in my opinion.

The entire comparative section is a bit of a joke really, you can essentially just learn off 2 essays and if you have any sort of aptitude for English you will be able to mould your essay reasonably easily around the question. Take this year, it's almost guaranteed that Cultural Context and Theme/Issue will come up (of course, the DoE could surprise us but you it's a certainty that at least one of the two will turn up). One of the (a) and (b) questions in each is usually a bit random, but the other is basically just a wordy statement that asks you to write a general essay about Cultural Context/Theme - a simple task if you have it learned off.

Obviously, writing a decent essay in the first place isn't always easy - the section's comparative nature can make essay-structuring a tad awkward - but once you're willing to put in any sort of work, you're singing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭belinea06

how much should u write for comparitive essays? i had my mocks last week and people came out sayin they wrote 10pages when i did 3!!

Advertisement