Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here doing Ordinary English??

Options
  • 19-02-2006 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭

:p since i m a foreigner..........i m doing O english......:p

anyone doing O english??

Hope i can get some advice and tips for the mocks..........

How do u prepare for Paper1??i havent get a clue.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

okay just to point out since it's english n'all ''got a clue'' not ''get''.

the exam is 2 hours 50 minutes and it's 200 marks.

Section 1 Comprehending (100 marks)
    - Answer question a and b.

Section 2 Composition (100 marks)
    - Answer 1 of 7 exercises on Composing.

Exam Strategy

There are two papers in the Leaving Cert Pass English exam. The first paper examines your language skills by getting you to analyse texts you have never seen before and to complete some creative writing tasks. The second paper assesses your knowledge of texts on literature which you will have studied in depth in your Leaving Cert years. The only text here that will be new to you is in a relatively short question on an unseen poem.
    Before you sit the examination you should make sure you know exactly what questions you will have to answer on each of the examination papers. The exam structure above should help you. If you are in doubt, consult your teacher.
    Think of each question as a Task that you must perform. Before you begin writing make sure you are as clear as you can be about the task, about exactly what you are being asked to do. Locate the key term/s of the question. Spend some time planning your answer. Where appropriate, use specific detail and textual evidence to develop your answer as fully as is required. The language you use in your answer should be appropriate to the task and you should take care with punctuation, spelling and grammar.
    So, remember that all of your answers will be assessed on the basis of your ability to do the following things:
    Engage with the set task
    Sustain your response over the entire answer
    Manage and control language to achieve clear communication
    Spell accurately and use patterns of grammar that are right for the task

The approximate length of answers may be indicated in some of the questions. In cases where length is not specified, you should take account of such factors as the other instructions given in the question and the number of marks available for the question.
    Allow adequate time for each of the questions you are required to answer on
    It is not recommended that you attempt extra questions. You would be better advised to spend time planning the questions you are required to answer and checking back over your answers.
    (Source: Department of Education and Science ‘Assessment advice for students’)
    this is taken from www.skoool.ie

(b) Walk-through the paper (Question by question)

PAPER ONE

Section 1 – Comprehending
    In the ‘Comprehending’ section there will be three texts, all of which will be related to the same theme. The theme could be, for example, friendship, childhood or war. Most of the texts will be taken from books or newspapers, but you could also get some visual material such as a set of photographs or some book covers. Bear in mind the following points:

Each text is followed by a question A and a question B. You must answer question A from one text and question B from a different text. In other words, you may NOT answer questions A and B from the same text!
    Don’t be over-hasty. Take a good look at each text and read through the questions carefully before you decide which ones to attempt.
    Question A is made up of a number of small questions relating directly to the text. They are designed to check both that you understand the text well and that you are able to express your own response to it. The second part, Question B, requires you to complete a writing task arising out of the text. You might be asked, for example, to write in the style of a debate, a letter, a diary entry, or a news report.
    Section II – Composing
    Here you will have to choose one composition from a set of seven options. You have studied five different language categories in your Leaving Cert years – information, argument, persuasion, narration, and the aesthetic use of language – and this is where these are tested. All of the options are linked in some way to the texts in the comprehension section. Take good note of the following points:

Make sure you read the instructions very carefully and do exactly what you are asked to do. Try as far as possible to write in the language category which the composition suggests.
    Remember, however, that sometimes a composition might allow you to mix various writing styles (e.g. if you are writing diary entries you might well include some aesthetic writing in an overall narrative).
    Use the texts from Section I, if helpful, to stimulate or supplement your own ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

ah,so sorry........:p forgive me for my 'awkward' english.......(aka poor english...............):p

glad to see someone replies me just in time!!i m just gonna 2 turn off my pc^^not goin to on9 anymore till my exam 's finish........

thanks a million............(i havent read ur post yet anyway.....)^^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

wow,thats really help alot,thanks again!!^^although i have seen some of them b4....^^

actually....i m looking for the format of speech ,diary...all those compositions stuff..........still cant find them on any website though.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

glad to help. by format of speech do you mean the language of persuasion and stuff like that

Advertisement