Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The South Bank Show

Options
  • 19-02-2006 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭

Just read in television listings of the newspaper that the South Bank Show is going to be covering manga this evening... I'm willing to bet that they actually mean anime though.

Tonight - 23.10 - UTV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

This is pretty good so far. Interviews with Otomo and Miyasaki et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

Caught it half way through. Very annoyed at myself, I let that Starship Troopers distract me.
    Thought it was good also, but felt Johnathan Ross had really covered the same ground in his Asia Cinema series.
    All in all good to see that manga is having an effect on uniting East and West youth cultures.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Wow! monkeyfudge, thanks for the tip-off. What a great line-up of interviews they had...lots of big names and well researched.

The tone of the programme was so positive I was actually surprised - a few years ago I stopped watching most programmes about manga and anime as the implication always seemed to be that Hentai was all that was being offered and that the whole thing was kind of corrupting the very fabric of society. This was show was a balanced - no, more than that, an accepting view of manga and anime. I mean, showing the middle-aged salaryman explaining why he reads a 'sports' manga on golf and a 'salaryman' manga, going out of the way to show a rich history that spawned manga and showing how injecting elements of 'realism' and not sugarcoating everything is a tenet of the art in Japan... it's almost like they were trying to quell fears about manga and anime.

First time I've watched UTV in months...and it was worth it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Anyone record this as I missed half of it. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

I missed this too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

CuLT, Lord High Mod of this forum has hosted a copy of the show at: http://media.eirtaku.com/video/anime-related/southbank.avi. It's big (370 Mb approx) but interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

psicic wrote:
    CuLT, Lord High Mod of this forum has hosted a copy of the show at: http://media.eirtaku.com/video/anime-related/southbank.avi. It's big (370 Mb approx) but interesting.
    sweet thanks.

Advertisement