Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE ads from the 80s...

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The butter one, I started a thread about that not long ago trying to find out what brand it was. At least now I know I know what it was called. Is/was Move Over Butter an Irish brand?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113892143

Just read your thread, that's the one. British brand I believe. Your thread jogged my memory and I remember a blond woman "screaming" and the camera doing a close up on her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Just read your thread, that's the one. British brand I believe. Your thread jogged my memory and I remember a blond woman "screaming" and the camera doing a close up on her.

Yes that's the bit I remember the most. Were there a series of those ads or just the one?

Yes that's the bit I remember the most. Were there a series of those ads or just the one?

I only remember that one, I really loved it at the time. :)

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Jim figgerty back in 1969
    pixel.gif

‘Jim Figgerty’, the man who put the figs in fig rolls, returns to Jacobs after a three-month absence and is mobbed by fans. Part of a hugely successful marketing campaign based on the question ‘How do Jacobs get the figs in the fig roles?’ Figgerty, and his sidekick, Habibi, (who asked the question in French) became part of the national consciousness..19.03.1969

Kaleidoscope have been putting up some old UTV adbreaks from the 70s. Theres a Jacob's ad here with Jim Figgerty. Sounds to me like Cathal O Shannon doing voiceover though I'm not aware that he did voiceovers for commercials

Couple more from the recesses of my memory that dont seem to be online.

One for Yop mid 80s that featured a "rap" that went something like "Yop is the one, Yop is for you, Yop is the something something". Sounded like Jimmy Greely or one of those guys who was always doing voiceovers in Irish ads. Accompanied by footage of women in leotards and leg warmers dancing.

Stork margarine ad that had an oul wan with a strong Dublin accent go "the secret of good pastry is...". Then a younger woman, maybe her daughter, finishes her sentence "Stork!"

• Advertisement

Never saw this Tayto one before, was it made for NI market?

Guinness ads with the Chieftains and also Clannad circa 82-84. I remember a print one with Mike Oldfield though I don't recall if there was a corresponding TV ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

reeling in the weird on insta is brilliant

UTV rather than RTE but couple of ads that must have been shown on the latter, for HB ice cream and a short one for Dublin zoo.

• Advertisement

Lyons tea car.competition

3 hands washing up liquid

Memorable ad with Maurice Pratt and Tots about how they felt about Yellow Pack Tomato ketchup on chips.

Quinnworth scratch cards.

TV sponge ad: the squeeze is on

Many ads were fun to watch then. Today ads are up their own arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I remember the ad promoting fostering teens from when I was a kid in England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Just watching the Steve Silvermint ad there .... it sounds like the VO was done by legendary Radio Nova (pirate) presenter, Bob Gallico (RIP). He had a successful American based acting career before coming to Ireland in the 1980's. I also recently saw him in a repeated episode of 'The Persuaders' (Roger Moore, Tony Curtis) acting alongside Joan Collins.

I didn't know that he was also Steve Silvermint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

"We wanna be....... Smiths Crisps"

Not an RTE and but does anyone else remember it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I remember that... sung to the theme of 'I wanna be Bobby's Girl'. I think the VO at the end, is Chris Tarrant.

I also have a faded recollection of a possibly Smiths Crisps TV add for Ireland in the mid 70's that had a glam rock glitter band type chorus.

It had the glitter sound (strong slow drum beat and long single chord guitar technique) and a shouted chorus line of 'we love Smiths crisps ... (guitar chord key change) .......cheese and onion!

I have looked for it everywhere, but to no avail.... did I imagine it, or does anyone else remember?

I remember an ad for a travel agents that ran on RTE circa 1986. I'm pretty sure it was soon after Hurricane Charley or another period of very bad storms/flooding. It consisted of footage of recent bad weather in Ireland, probably culled from RTE news reports but there was no voiceover. One of the clips was a bunch of young lads running and splashing through an enormous puddle, the other clips were of people braving pissing rain and a guy being lashed by waves on a pier. Then a caption came up onscreen saying something like "would you prefer this?" and then there followed clips of people on sunny beaches in Spain or wherever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

RIP Laurie Morton, who died a few days ago at the age of 98.

I remember her for that advert..... before I knew she played The Whirlagig Witch in Fortycoats.

Go raibh suaimhneas síoraí dá hanam uasal.

Go to the 1: 34 minute mark. The Move Over Butter Viking pops up in this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Love the Penguin ad, was that Caroline Aherne doing the voiceover?

Advertisement