Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE ads from the 80s...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Theres another forgotten clasic for Slimasoup at 1.42.I remember someone writing in to Arthur Murphys Mailbag to complain about this ad.Why I can't remember.Jasus you used to get some cranks writing to that show.Also check out the ominous TV license dodgers ad towards the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nigelradion2

Here you go!

I have no idea what I just watched :pac:

boody hell! I'd forgotten about that one! great to see it again!

Seasan wrote: »
    Yep-that was for Radion as well.
    Soon after the girl says that line,the ma says to the da and son ".....ye hit the showers,I'll take yer shirts."

The ad starts where they are cleaning windows,and the son says "...well that's ten windows done..." and the da replies "....yeah-but this shirt smells like we've done a hundred".

There was a British-dubbed version of that same ad also,and it hurts to say but the acting is way better....

yes it was. There was also another Radion advert which involved a group of people going off hillwalking as well. This ad started with them out on their trip along some mountainside or other, slipping on the grass and muck as well as sweating like pigs.

Eventually, they get back home and one of the guys is greeted by his daughter and just like those other adverts, she complained about the smell by putting her finger to her nose.

The dialogue went something like this: "they've been four days on a survival course! They're tired!! They're filthy! And their welcome is luke warm!!"

The advert then ended with the line: "You can tell it's clean because you can tell it's clean!!"

Not too sure when this was shown. Probably around the mid 1990's.

yes it was. There was also another Radion advert which involved a group of people going off hillwalking as well. This ad started with them out on their trip along some mountainside or other, slipping on the grass and muck as well as sweating like pigs.

Eventually, they get back home and one of the guys is greeted by his daughter and just like those other adverts, she complained about the smell by putting her finger to her nose.

The dialogue went something like this: "they've been four days on a survival course! They're tired!! They're filthy! And their welcome is luke warm!!"

The advert then ended with the line: "You can tell it's clean because you can tell it's clean!!"

It was shown a few pages back but you might have missed it.That ad appears at .27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Did that one have Éamonn Holmes in it??
    Im starting to remember....

darkdubh wrote: »

It was shown a few pages back but you might have missed it.That ad appears at .27

That ad for the Chick Sticks used to annoy the sheit outa me especially the way the kids were talkin in it...
    I had forgotten about that "shortened" version of the Crea's Radion ad

Did that one have Éamonn Holmes in it??
    Im starting to remember....

yes. I'm pretty sure it did actually. He was playing the part of a TV news reporter if I remember rightly

yes. I'm pretty sure it did actually. He was playing the part of a TV news reporter if I remember rightly

Yep-it was him.....
    I remember I used to make a laugh of his accent especially the way he pronounced "days" like "daaes".

Yep-it was him.....
    I remember I used to make a laugh of his accent especially the way he pronounced "days" like "daaes".

yes it certainly was alright. wonder if there's anyway to find that ad. Wouldn't mind seeing it again!

• Advertisement

Remember when the "Have you just had your Weetabix" craze first started in the late 80s/early 90s?

The one with the cowboy and his indian comrade,when the indian brings the news that the braves had just had their weetabix,to which the cowboy replies "....then we are in big trouble" and then the indian says "What's this 'we' business,paleface??" and rides away on his horse.

And theres the one with the three bears,where at first Papa bear,Mama bear and Baby bear are all furious that someone has sat in their chairs and slept in their beds,but then they see that the same person had eaten all their weetabix,they get all nervous and Baby bear says "I'd like to shake that person's hand" and Mama bear says "He sure is the main man" and Papa bear says "What a guy"...and then all three bears run away for their lives!!

Remember when the "Have you just had your Weetabix" craze first started in the late 80s/early 90s?

The one with the cowboy and his indian comrade,when the indian brings the news that the braves had just had their weetabix,to which the cowboy replies "....then we are in big trouble" and then the indian says "What's this 'we' business,paleface??" and rides away on his horse.

And theres the one with the three bears,where at first Papa bear,Mama bear and Baby bear are all furious that someone has sat in their chairs and slept in their beds,but then they see that the same person had eaten all their weetabix,they get all nervous and Baby bear says "I'd like to shake that person's hand" and Mama bear says "He sure is the main man" and Papa bear says "What a guy"...and then all three bears run away for their lives!!

And the one with Cavailiers and Roundheads on a battlefield "the battles supposed to have started an hour ago".And the one about Ned Kellys last stand "nobody move or I eat the Weetabix".Also Robin Hood with the song "Robin Robin Hood Robin Hood riding through the glen"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

And the one with Cavailiers and Roundheads on a battlefield "the battles supposed to have started an hour ago".And the one about Ned Kellys last stand "nobody move or I eat the Weetabix".Also Robin Hood with the song "Robin Robin Hood Robin Hood riding through the glen"

The Battle of Naseby I seem to remember: "Sorry about the delay, my lot wouldn't budge till they'd had their Weetabix. The opposing side hear this and abandon the battle!
    Edit: Here it is!

And there was one with Samson and Delilah, with the song "Delilah" playing in the background. Delilah cut off Samson's hair, but it made no difference to his strength, because he'd had his Weetabix!

And, here's Delilah:

Brilliant ads. :D

Yeeeesss!!!

"Robin Hood Robin Hood might be in a fix,
    Robin Hood Robin Hood spots the Weetabix,
    Should he retreat back to Sherwood...?
    Yes he should,
    Yes he should,
    Yes he should!!!"

The one at 2.00 with Scrooge for Lemons Seasons Greetings.It was in the back of my head for years but could never remember what it was for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shoeless

FishHook wrote: »
    I remember that ad. A bloke in my class in school claimed to be one of the school kids in it. He must have been near the back, cos I never saw him!! It was earlier than the early 90s though, around 1986/87.

I was in this ad, it was 86/87, have been trying to find a vid of it for years. It was amazing fun and was filmed at Loretto Convent in Rathfarnham. a lot of chucking oranges around but really well paid for a 15 year old at the time:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Oops69 wrote: »
    Remember 'triple A golden maverick' with the triple A branding on a cow or something at the end in the style of A spaghetti western , was it a fertiliser or something for liver fluke and hoose or something .

It's a milk replacer...powdered milk for calves....townie. :D

http://www.stackyard.com/news/2008/04/feed/golden_maverick.jpg

I think I mentioned this one before but it featured this talking head shot of a woman saying something like "Imagine teaching thirty teenagers with everything on their minds from U2 to Pacman!" Does anyone remember that one,I think it might have been for Rennies.

I think I mentioned this one before but it featured this talking head shot of a woman saying something like "Imagine teaching thirty teenagers with everything on their minds from U2 to Pacman!" Does anyone remember that one,I think it might have been for Rennies.

I only have vague memories of that one too and I used to think twas something to do with headaches

I remember absolutely nothing about this ad-what twas about or anything-just that there was a line at the very end saying "Let Your Fingers Do The Talking" in a cheerful little upbeat melody.
    Or for a better description:
    "Leeet your fin-gers do the tal-king".

Anyone remember??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Golden Pages was let your fingers do the walking.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Golden Pages was let your fingers do the walking.

Now I'm havin visions of someone's fingers walking through a telephone book and dancing at the end,would that be right??

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

The one at 2.00 with Scrooge for Lemons Seasons Greetings.It was in the back of my head for years but could never remember what it was for.

Is that Wilfred Brambel aka Old Man Steptoe as Scrooge?Looks very like him.

Now I'm havin visions of someone's fingers walking through a telephone book and dancing at the end,would that be right??

I think so yes!

Shoeless wrote: »
    I was in this ad, it was 86/87, have been trying to find a vid of it for years. It was amazing fun and was filmed at Loretto Convent in Rathfarnham. a lot of chucking oranges around but really well paid for a 15 year old at the time:)

I knew I'd spotted that ad on YT before so did a bit of trawling.Its on here at 2.00."Don't stop me now!"

I knew I'd spotted that ad on YT before so did a bit of trawling.Its on here at 2.00."Don't stop me now!"

The teacher in that Club Orange advert is Brian McGrath.

Back in 1973 he was in an episode of Thriller called Someone At The Top Of The Stairs. Creepy. In later years he moved to my hometown and attended the same Sunday mass as my parents.

Two funny but silly ads about crisps....both were animated ads...

This one was about Magic Ringos,where this "cool dude" was at a disco and he was wearing a Magic Ringo around his neck thinking the girls wouldn't be able to resist him and another one on his finger thinking that he'd be treated like royalty,but still they either ignore him or tell him "push off,weirdo...".But then he decides to eat a few Magic Ringos instead,then all of a sudden he starts doing these killer dance moves all over the floor,everybody stops and stares-the girls stand looking in disbelief and admiration,then his non-stop dancing takes him right through a brick wall and onto the street,and one of the girls says "It's a shame he didn't stick around".:)

And this one about KP Skips,where a man and wife are watching tv and an ad comes on for Skips,saying "the crisps that melt."Both of them find this ridiculous-so much so that he flies into a frenzy and starts breaking things in the house and yells "...crispy things don't melt,they crrRRUNCH!!"And then when they both try a Skips,they start to melt themselves and they start talking really funny!!:-)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Two funny but silly ads about crisps....both were animated ads...

This one was about Magic Ringos,where this "cool dude" was at a disco and he was wearing a Magic Ringo around his neck thinking the girls wouldn't be able to resist him and another one on his finger thinking that he'd be treated like royalty,but still they either ignore him or tell him "push off,weirdo...".But then he decides to eat a few Magic Ringos instead,then all of a sudden he starts doing these killer dance moves all over the floor,everybody stops and stares-the girls stand looking in disbelief and admiration,then his non-stop dancing takes him right through a brick wall and onto the street,and one of the girls says "It's a shame he didn't stick around".:)

And this one about KP Skips,where a man and wife are watching tv and an ad comes on for Skips,saying "the crisps that melt."Both of them find this ridiculous-so much so that he flies into a frenzy and starts breaking things in the house and yells "...crispy things don't melt,they crrRRUNCH!!"And then when they both try a Skips,they start to melt themselves and they start talking really funny!!:-)[/QUOTE]

Jaysus I don't remember that at all.Are you sure you weren't on drugs when you saw it?

Hardly-I didn't even know what drugs were at that age.....

• Advertisement

Can anybody remember what ad was this music in?
    Was it an ad for a car?

Advertisement