Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE ads from the 80s...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Does anyone remember the ad with the man stuck to the board. I think it was for some adhesive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

James 007 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the ad with the man stuck to the board. I think it was for some adhesive

Was that for Solvite?

Was that the one where he was stuck to it in all weathers and the ad ended when he was stuck there overnight?

Seasan wrote: »
    Was that for Solvite?

Was that the one where he was stuck to it in all weathers and the ad ended when he was stuck there overnight?

Thats it. Here is one. I thought there was one with a crane too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dnUrCdeX2U

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Thats it. Here is one. I thought there was one with a crane too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dnUrCdeX2U

Yes I remember these well.There was one with a crane.I think there was one where hes suspended over a pool full of sharks as well,it ws a long running campaign.

Can anybody remember what ad was this music in?
    Was it an ad for a car?

I can semi- picture the ad in my head.It wasen't for cars I'm sure.I think there was an airbourne shot of the sea,It may have been for ESB or gas or something to do with energy.

• Advertisement

Ahhh....now there are memories coming back of the older animated ones before the ones just mentioned-and they had a scary snake sayin "Ssssolve it with Ssssolvite".:)

Whats the ad with 'You cant sing, you cant play, you look awful...........you go a long way' Was it a kit-kat ad or bounty bar

Whats the ad with 'You cant sing, you cant play, you look awful...........you go a long way' Was it a kit-kat ad or bounty bar

Yep that was definitely Kit-Kat,I remember that one well!:)

Two other ads that I remember well is the Corneto ad and I'm not too sure if this is correct 'Triple X, golden maverick'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Two other ads that I remember well is the Corneto ad and I'm not too sure if this is correct 'Triple X, golden maverick'

I remember it as Triple A, not Triple X. But I could be wrong, it's a long time ago! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Triple A acidfied, accelerated growth and anti scour the brand you can really trust :)

Eeden wrote: »
    I remember it as Triple A, not Triple X. But I could be wrong, it's a long time ago! :P

You both got it right, long time ago..

What about the bisto ad, 'never ending sundays' or something like that

Anyone remember these two UK ads? I put them up before with very little reaction :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

What about the bisto ad, 'never ending sundays' or something like that

"Never in a month of Sundays!!"

(Supersoft shampoo) I remember the first one, but not the second one.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    "Never in a month of Sundays!!"

Is Trevor ever getting up
    Never in a month of Sundays

(Supersoft shampoo) I remember the first one, but not the second one.
    Both were on RTE at the time, Jaysus we're getting old :(

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Is Trevor ever getting up
    Never in a month of Sundays

Will Dad ever get that garden dug?
    Never in a month of Sundays!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Will Dad ever get that garden dug?
    Never in a month of Sundays!

"But there's one thing they won't miss out on, in a Month. Of. Sundays!!"

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    "But there's one thing they won't miss out on, in a Month. Of. Sundays!!"

'....coz Bisto gravy thickens with a stir,
    no wonder it's the one they all prefer,
    you'll never get the 'R' in gravy without Bisto..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

This legend of an ad from back in the day got a re vamp I see :D

We all remember the ESB ad which had the song "Only You" in it.
    But was it another ad for ESB which had this song:

"Now the night has come and the land is dark,
    And the moon is the only light we see.
    But I won't be afraid,no I won't feel afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.
    So darlin darlin stand by me,
    Please stand,stand by me...."

??

This ad used to scare me(well,a lot of ads used to scare me-even harmless ones).....

This ad was for Clearsil-and with a classic horror movie setting,it starts with these girls sleeping in a large dormitory in what was possibly a boarding school,theres thunder and lightning and the girls are tossing and turning in their beds and the scary voiceover says..."When you go to sleep,don't fall prey to the night time terrors like ghouls,and spectres,and SPOTS"....and then one of the girls wakes up screaming while looking into her mirror,and she goes tearing through the corridor amid the thunder and lightning....
    And when the ad is over,the scary voiceover says:
    "Clearsil will help stop spots going BUMP.....in the night."

This ad used to scare me(well,a lot of ads used to scare me-even harmless ones).....

This ad was for Clearsil-and with a classic horror movie setting,it starts with these girls sleeping in a large dormitory in what was possibly a boarding school,theres thunder and lightning and the girls are tossing and turning in their beds and the scary voiceover says..."When you go to sleep,don't fall prey to the night time terrors like ghouls,and spectres,and SPOTS"....and then one of the girls wakes up screaming while looking into her mirror,and she goes tearing through the corridor amid the thunder and lightning....
    And when the ad is over,the scary voiceover says:
    "Clearsil will help stop spots going BUMP.....in the night."

I remember that now,had forgotten about it for years.

They used to frighten the crap outa me-one of them had the sponge hanging on the clothes line,and the V.O.,scary as ever,saying "TV SPONGERS BEWARE-THE SQUEEZE IS ON!!" and then the sponge hanging on the line screamed ".....and tis not nice!!!"

There is an ad on the radio which I'm hearin a lot lately,with a fella talkin in a crazy voice calling himself "Banana Badger".I think the ad is about tiles or something.
    But his voice sounds scarily similar to that of the TV sponger....

D'ya remember the creepy TV Licence "ads" with the "detector vans"?? :pac::pac:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Can't say I do-and I remember a good lot of them coz TV Licence ads used to creep me out big time back then after the TV Spongers ads.Which ones were the detector vans?

Unfortunately I can't find any RTE ones online - but there are some BBC ones about. It just seemed absurd that a van would drive around a housing estate at night with some serious-looking technology, trying to find out which houses had a TV on :D! And that they could even tell what you were watching!

This one is from the 70s, BBC:

Jaysus.......these TV licence feckers really did love to use the scaremongering tactic.
    And all this just to pay the broadcasters wages.

• Advertisement

Jaysus.......these TV licence feckers really did love to use the scaremongering tactic.
    And all this just to pay the broadcasters wages.

Advertisement