Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lords of Kobol-please give us Blizzards

Options
  • 19-02-2006 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭

Earthman wrote:
    LoL

We now have a -12 850 on friday ..over south leinster...

I wonder does WC think thats enough for snow :p

I'm beginning to think it may actually happen this time after so many close calls and false dawns...please don't snatch it away fat lady!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Afraid to mention snow on the RTE broadcast:D :D:D:D

Wintry showers, hail, sleet...... but alas no snow:D :D :eek: :v:

He really wanted to say snow and I think he suspects thats what we are going to get.

Talk about ramping up the sleet[read snow because thats just as likely] though...
    Strong winds and plenty of showers on the East coast...

There was none of that said on the farming forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Damnit I missed the forecast again. Who was on?? Seems like it was a good one this evening. Are the temps forecasted to be lower than 5 degrees??

Btw I was amazed to see TV3 weather going for 8 celcius on Wednesday:eek:

They did have sleet forecast for Thursday though and a chance of snow was mentioned.

Gerry Murphy

I think he sounds like he is from the Whest somewhere

• Advertisement

Btw I was amazed to see TV3 weather going for 8 celcius on Wednesday:eek:
    It will be 8c in your living room if you leave all the windows open.
    I'm surprised he didnt think your living room would be colder.
    He's probably allowing for the fact that though your windows will be wide open,you will have the heating on.
    Did he say if the draft through the window would be an Easterly? :D

Thats what little confidence I have in their forecasts :D They lag behind reality in my opinion due to t6he fact that they are done by presenters and not real professional forecasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

No mention of the word snow in the 9pm forecast, but they did not venture past Wednesday ;) They had showers for the east down for Tues/Wed, turning increasingly wintry into wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Didnt Gerry mention some wintry showers turning up on the east coast on Tuesday night? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Can't remember if he narrowed it down to the night. He had showers down for Tuesday, getting wintrier from Wednesday IIRC. His little symbols changed more explicitly on Wednesday too, from the rainier ones on Tuesday to the sleetier ones on Wednesday :p

(I'm so scientific..)

• Advertisement

Heavys snows pushing WEST

Rtavn904.png

Thanks for that WC, I just splashed out and bought myself two snowmobiles, I wont be disapointed now will I?? (:v: :v: )

waiting_4_snow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

How are they in the slush? :p

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    How are they in the slush? :p

Hmm, noisy I'd imagine, not to mention ripping up the footpaths :D

Wexford and possibly Wicklow look the best place to be currently for prolonged snow. Further north will more likely have rain during the heavist part of ppn.

Still could change on the day itself. I only have to see the LP move lesss than 100 miles north for me to be in the running. I think this one's impossible to predict at this time.

Most of the ensembles at 00z are going against prolonged cold. Just 3 outliers have consistent cold at some point or other.

Very blustery..... a tree in the garden snapped over night:eek:

Not so good this morning.. cold spell till Saturday and no more

But snow on Thursday still looks likely;)

Not too likely where I live or even where you live WC. There should be an inch to greet you on Friday morning but nothing more really unless there's a drastic improvement in our luck.

We had a couple of noisy hail showers last night and one this morning.

Most of the ensembles at 00z are going against prolonged cold. Just 3 outliers have consistent cold at some point or other.
    The 00z run today was the mildest in the ensembles by the way with a huge bunch of them still very cold.
    It's likely therefore that the next run or the 12z will be a colder one provided some of the numbers they are now crunching arent actually leading to milder weather.
    I still dont trust these things beyond 4 days so the later runs today will be interesting for thursday-but beyond that who knows.

Well the o6z is certainly making up for its wayward brother the 00z

A -10 850 pool over southeast Ireland on Thursday

Rtavn662.html

And then over practically the whole of Ireland

http://217.160.176.95/wz/pics/Rtavn722.png

But especially the south east

http://217.160.176.95/wz/pics/Rtavn842.png

This is only 3 days away if this run comes off...

• Advertisement

After that the 850 temps rise to above minus 6 so a lot milder in terms of upper air temps.
    But thats over next w/end and FI really.

It also seems correctly speculative that a sustained Northerly will appear after this but that Pressure will be too high over Ireland for showers(That could easily change)
    Pressure remains high seemingly over Greenland which would indicate that the northerly or Northeasterly(Better) would be sustained.

FI has that heading down Eastern England at the moment and into Europe-but theres plenty of time yet for it to go even further East or better obviously further west.

In the short Term based on the 06 Z I'd be going for snow showers , thursday into friday and there could be a good covering in places :D
    It's within reliability and the ensembles members this morning were mostly cold enough but I'd like to see the ensemble for this one before confidence goes above 60% on this.

Looking good though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Norway/Sweden looks quite mild doesnt it with those yellow/orange colours?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Good ensembles this morning. Some far colder members then the control run:)

Yes:)

Snow on Thursday in North Leinster, Ulster and the Midlands looks likely:)

Rtavn784.png

potential getting closer but the time of the precip arriving may not suit

Temps around 3c with heavy precip with cold air buckling in behind..

I would think if you live above 150m's your guaranteed snow its a day
    before job for us folks at 30m asl though;)

Yes:)

Snow on Thursday in North Leinster, Ulster and the Midlands looks likely:)
    Ulster?
    So the new theory is the higher the pressure,the more precipitation??

I'm opting for snow on high ground being a given at this stage.
    Low ground is borderline untill almost a nowcast situation especially on coasts.
    I'll be looking at dewpoints and the M2 buoy temp prior to any precip coming in late wenesday,thursday and Friday.

I wouldnt be certain regarding how far west or North these showers travel either.
    The lower the 850 temps the better as regards them getting further inland

Going on the 12Z I wouldnt be opting for much if any precip in North Leinster or Ulster with sea level pressure of 1032mb
    But I would expect coastal showers to continue further south and by the looks of this they will be wintry especially in South Leinster

tmp8503.png

Hi Earthman im pinpointing where the Low pressur will end up

The 18z through all of Leinster and most of Ireland into the catchment zone
    for widespread snow during Thursday:D

http://217.160.75.104/wz/pics/Rtavn841.png

http://217.160.75.104/wz/pics/Rtavn844.png

http://217.160.75.104/wz/pics/Rtavn842.png

http://217.160.75.104/wz/pics/Rtavn8417.png

Indeed if this were to happen,I'd be confident enough of snow here on Thursday if the dewpoints are subzero and the air temp is 3 or below

tmp8504.png

Most of the country drops off to -7c then and by Friday afternoon its a -5850, so any snow on low ground or at the coast shouldnt stick for long.

Rtavn9617.png

A cold day over the snow fields of Ireland

Ahhhhh a once in a few years event a coming i pray:D

50% conifidence on a widespread covering of 6-10cm's across the REP::D

• Advertisement

It's on the edge of reliability even this close but on the postive side, this run seems to be coming from one of the milder members.
    Theres certainly no -12's over Ireland-but shur -10 will do we're not fussy :D

But I'd agree with your revised assessment-theres certainly a good snow risk for the East and south East now.
    Whether much will settle on the coast is another matter.
    GFS usually over do's the temps so if all things stay the same it could be colder than that.

In last years snap ,we had a day here in or around plus one or two celcius and the -10 850's were as far away as Kent.
    They certainly werent near here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement