Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Heating

Options
  • 19-02-2006 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm just about to buy a house with electric heating, and evrything else is electric too (cooker, shower etc). Also will have a dryer in the house too.

Just wondering if anyone who lives with a similar situation could give me an idea of how much their bill is per month/two months? I'll be living alone for a few months and then hope to bring in a lodger.

Also if you coukd tell me the pro's and con's of all electric.

Cheers in advance
    Mutz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I lived in a flat with electric heating - it can be very very expensive. It is the most expensive form of heating. If you are in a position to switch then do so. I find gas good value. Otherwise IMO all electric is fine. The shower doesn't use that much and is great to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Cheers for that. Would it be reasonable to assume €40 per month for myself living alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

With electric that might be a bit low. I might push that to €50-€60 for budgetting purposes but obviously it depends on how many rooms you choose to heat. There is also the issue of the lodger. I had the misfortune to share with someone who would go away for the weekend and leave the heating on. It cost us £150 at the time. You will need ground rules so that you can get the balance between freezing and common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Jeez thats expensive. Its a Two bed, mid terrace with all double glazing and insulations. Didn't think it'd be that expensive at all. Don't think i'd be able to put in gas cos the management company mightn't allow it - unsure of this so would have to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Trust me Mutz, if it is a new build in the Dublin area & the developer could have installed gas, they would have... it's a better option for us builders and cheaper for the clients too. We had a site 2 years ago which we couldn't install natural gas into because of various difficulties... however our newest lauch has gas heating and it sold out in 15 mins!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I have an all electric system in my flat too. I live on my own.

If you don't use the storage heating then it's not too bad. My place is just over 510sq feet, and if I use the storage heating, my 2monthly bill would be around 150euro. If I don't use the storage heating, it's around 70-80euro for the two months.

I've had this checked by ESB and they've told me I'm using the norm amount of units for a 1bed apartment.

Storage heating is a horribly expensive way to heat a home. And when you come home from work the next day, the heat's practically gone!
    If/When I buy my next place, wether or not is has Gas will be a deciding factor..

Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Back in the good old days early 1980's, even with nightsaver I will never forget the bill for a hard winter, £260.00 for one bill and £290.00 for the second.

Electricity for heating ? never again ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Gas heating- but electric everything else (including water, showers etc oddly enough). Average bi-monthly bill for electricity about 120 Euro (and another similar amount for gas). One thing I would say about gas is that its after going up by a horrendous amount (I think more than 50% in the last two years) and more hikes are imminent. Plus- if something goes wrong with electricity- your apartment complex does not need to be evacuated (as has happened here twice in the past year, most recently about a month ago when the gas meter in a commercial premises which is part of the complex started to leak over a weekend (helpfully when there was no-one around to get keys off etc......) arrghhhhh!!!

Advertisement