Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ok slightly odd question...

• 19-02-2006 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

**** this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Ok, thats not an odd question, thats a stupid question. In the context, anyway. If someone wanted to be in a religion they would be. Asking athiests what religion they would be is nonesense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

i'm basically looking at ppl's views on differnet religons would you mind not being sooo rude:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

and stop being sooo moany you dry ****e its just a question i'm an atheist and i find all religons very interesting i think buddhism is something i'd b interested in learning about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm intrigued as to the original post. Asking what god an atheist might believe in might be pointless, but asking what religious system they would have some respect for is okay AFAIC. (Lets face it most threads here are pointless anyway).
    bobbi wrote:
    and stop being sooo moany you dry ****e its just a question i'm an atheist and i find all religons very interesting i think buddhism is something i'd b interested in learning about.
    As our resident Buddhist Asiaprod will tell you, Buddhism isn't actually a religion. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Perhaps a better way to phrase the question would be to ask what belief system people find interesting, and why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

As our resident Buddhist Asiaprod will tell you, Buddhism isn't actually a religion. :)
    Is that accurate? Surely it depends on the particular school of Buddhism, some still have close associations with Hindu gods and goddesses, while others are more agnostic (or more accurately deem their existence or non-existence inconsequential ).

I’m sure our man in the east can clear that one up.

I also agree that the OP has merit, even if it might not have been articulated it certainly didnt deserve the aggresive regly it got, this is not just an atheist forum after all, but also caters for those who are agnostic in their views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

The Buddhist is in the house.
    Yes, it is amazing how many people feel Buddhism is a religion. Its not.
    Its one of those philosophy thingies with the attached spiritual aspect.
    Other wise I could not really be on this forum enjoying myself so much.:)
    To the best of my understanding, all references to Gods in Buddhism are really either references to humans who lived and walked the earth and achieved enlightenment, or are similar to the Christian parables and meant as a teaching tool. Though we do share many things with Hindus we are fundementaly different.
    The problem seems to arise when we get into the provisional teachings (the original teachings), which have been refined over the last 2500 years.

bobbi wrote:
    would you mind not being sooo rude:mad:
    bobbi wrote:
    top being sooo moany you dry ****e

The original question makes no sense, forgive me if Im not going to go insane and give an answer.

I find most religions interesting, but asking Atheists what religion they would be requires a very big and personalised "if".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭John Doe

I'm an agnostic rather than an atheist, and I find Buddhism the most interesting if the belief systems or whatever you want to call them. Possibly because it's compatible with agnosticism. I can't see the original question any more so I don't know if you wanted answers from agnostics. I try to be interested in Christianity but I keep finding that I have problems with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭the real ramon

John Doe wrote:
    . I try to be interested in Christianity but I keep finding that I have problems with it.

Tell me about it!:D

• Advertisement

Asiaprod wrote:
    The Buddhist is in the house.
    Yes, it is amazing how many people feel Buddhism is a religion. Its not.
    Its one of those philosophy thingies with the attached spiritual aspect.
    Other wise I could not really be on this forum enjoying myself so much.:)
    To the best of my understanding, all references to Gods in Buddhism are really either references to humans who lived and walked the earth and achieved enlightenment, or are similar to the Christian parables and meant as a teaching tool. Though we do share many things with Hindus we are fundementaly different.
    The problem seems to arise when we get into the provisional teachings (the original teachings), which have been refined over the last 2500 years.
    I don't know, I'd sometimes regard it as a religion, though I'd certainly lean more towards calling it a philosophy.

I think there are a fair few theistic buddhists around.
    I'm not sure I'd regard all the references to gods as parable-like, though I'm still up there with regarding them as not worship worthy.
    In some cases it does seem that referring to a higher birth in the heavens with the gods is just a very fortunate circumstance of birth than actual heavens etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Yossie

I always fancied joining the trekkie faith, if only to beat an old tied analogy to death - that and the cool uniforms;)

[Sorry The Atheist can't resist ;), please don't be :mad: with me:) ]

Yossie wrote:
    [Sorry The Atheist can't resist ;), please don't be :mad: with me:) ]
    Urge... to... kill... smilies...

Actually an esablished writer for Star Trek was on The Big Bite they were showing this morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

John Doe wrote:
    I'm an agnostic rather than an atheist, and I find Buddhism the most interesting if the belief systems or whatever you want to call them. Possibly because it's compatible with agnosticism. I can't see the original question any more so I don't know if you wanted answers from agnostics.[strike] I try to be interested in Christianity but I keep finding that I have problems with it.[/stike]

Urge... to... kill... smilies...

Actually an esablished writer for Star Trek was on The Big Bite they were showing this morning.
    please kill them!

This trekism intrigues me, I would bow to patrick stewart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

so long as I can worship Gates McFadden.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Yes, but then you have that whole schism between the followers of Kirk and the followers of Picard. Religious wars get ugly real fast.

Yes, but then you have that whole schism between the followers of Kirk and the followers of Picard. Religious wars get ugly real fast.

Picard rules the Galaxy. Will he ever dock be in Babylon 5. That would be an episode to watch

legspin wrote:
    so long as I can worship Gates McFadden.....:rolleyes:

She is mine:eek:
    That's Phasers at dawn. Pick the time and the dimension buddy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Asiaprod wrote:
    Make it so*.

*Earl grey, Hot*.

*nerd.

Make it so*.
    *Earl grey, Hot*.
    *nerd.
    *Tar.Aldarion to transport room six*
    Colm Meaney's gonna send you somewhere dark.

This thread is waaay off topic... but since the OP is deleted - what the hey.

• Advertisement

*Tar.Aldarion to transport room six*
    Colm Meaney's gonna send you somewhere dark.

This thread is waaay off topic... but since the OP is deleted - what the hey.

Even agnostics and atheists have to party now and then,-it always ends up being about star trek and I would love to see a trek religion like in futurama-get away from the strict regime. (:
    *daydreams of Colm Meaney's Irish charm*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Asiaprod wrote:

Bat'leths at midnight, or Stratigema at tea-time if you're a wuss. Makes no difference to me. BRING IT ON:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Kirk would kick picards ass. im a proud kirkist

Kirk is daft, Picard is the coolest

You hit me!? Picard never hit me!

legspin wrote:
    Bat'leths at midnight, or Stratigema at tea-time if you're a wuss. Makes no difference to me. BRING IT ON:p

I will go with a pair of Mek`Leths, after tea will be fine:)

Advertisement