Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Physical Pain after a breakup?

• 19-02-2006 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I have discussed this during the week with a group I was with, Over the years
    I have been "blown out" by women or maybe they dont ring and then they finish with you. I have felt pain in my chest for weeks..They say "pain" cannot be caused by emotion alone,only something medical..Have you ever felt that "Pain" ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭deisemum

I don't believe that emotion cannot cause pain. When my Dad died my whole body physically hurt, even moving a finger hurt. It was so bad at times that I had to take pain killers. This lasted about a month and gradually went. I have since found out that this can be part of the grieving process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Quite possibly stress as opposed to "romantic longing".

Does it feel like someone is using a sink plunger on your heart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

Victor wrote:
    Does it feel like someone is using a sink plunger on your heart?
    Exactly...I could not have put a better discription on it than that !!....M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes, you can get that.
    It hurts like hell and feels like your heart it breaking.
    Think about them used to make you stop and smile when they drift into your tought but that can get replaces with the ache arround your heart and with tears.

If it is persistant and affecting you excessively, do talk to your GP, not just out of concern for your heart, but he may be able to prescribe something in the short-term to take the edge off things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I guess the chest pain can perhaps be the reason why we have the saying "my heart was broken".

I say always carry a tube of superglue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

MarinoMark wrote:
    I have been "blown out" by women or maybe they dont ring and then they finish with you. I have felt pain in my chest for weeks..They say "pain" cannot be caused by emotion alone,only something medical..Have you ever felt that "Pain" ?

Hmmm, I had my heart broken when I was 18. It was a shocking, deeply painful time! I do recall having pains in my chest at the time. I put it down to be literally a "broken heart" at the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There's no doubting at all that it can hurt very very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 suchislife

MarinoMark wrote:
    Hi, All you describe is normal, have you heard of SHEN, therapy, the basis of it is every action or word you hear is processed by mind and stored and can then have effect on body, as in "I had a lump in my throat" its not actually there but is felt, "butterflies in the tummy", "cold shiver down the spine" etc etc, no idea how SHEN works but it does and much better for you than chemical cosh from G.P. Never say never till you try it once. Take Care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

after my dad died i was getting what i thought was panic attacks. turns out after an ecg and echo that i was having palpatations due to the stress of my dad dying. the stopped after a few months. stress can kill of cells in your body so i guess that pain can cause pain.

• Advertisement

suchislife wrote:
    Hi, All you describe is normal, have you heard of SHEN, therapy, the basis of it is every action or word you hear is processed by mind and stored and can then have effect on body, as in "I had a lump in my throat" its not actually there but is felt, "butterflies in the tummy", "cold shiver down the spine" etc etc, no idea how SHEN works but it does and much better for you than chemical cosh from G.P. Never say never till you try it once. Take Care
    One should consider a balance in any treatment.

Complimentary medicine is good as it balances modern medicine with other treatments.

Sticking to alternative medicine only is asking for trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

MarinoMark wrote:

I have felt that pain & it is indeed very real.....whether it is caused by all the crying, the stress, tightened muscles or is psycho-somatic, I don't know - but it definately exists.....I don't think all pain has a medical cause either.....I sometimes dream I have hurt my hand or something & I feel the pain, yet there is no medical reason for it.....best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yes definately, people talk about being "hurt" in times of emotional stress for the simple reason it can physically hurt.

Find a shoulder to cry/hug on and best of luck working through whatever's prompted this post :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

OP,hurt and stress and fear also,can all cause us to feel pain. I've had breakups that have left me vomiting almost constantly for weeks and I've cried so much that I've gotten headaches.

These symptoms do pass,although the emotional pain can hang around long after. Just try to relax and take deep breathes.

Anyone who has ever been hurt will know that emotional pain can take on various different physical forms too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Yup I've felt the pain in my chest, and haven't been able to eat with the swirling feeling in my stomach. Like being crushed on the inside slowly. I always thought it was just my body turning emotional pain into physical pain because physical pain is easier to deal with. It passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

Yup I've felt the pain in my chest, and haven't been able to eat with the swirling feeling in my stomach. Like being crushed on the inside slowly. I always thought it was just my body turning emotional pain into physical pain because physical pain is easier to deal with. It passes.
    Lovely reply !:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

So descriptive and so true. Yeah I can identify with this too... as for solving it... I really have to say that as cliché as it sounds, time really is the best healer. You heal yourself after a while and then it just hurts less and less. I know that sounds like something out of a cheesy self-help book or something, but just saying how I found it worked.
    Best of luck, to anyone feeling like this... it ain't easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

I really sympathise with ya man, I know exactly what you mean. But like everything it takes time, and there is a hell of a lot of time!

Advertisement