Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Engineering Courses...

Options
  • 19-02-2006 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi there!

I am going to commence a sound engineering course in either Cork (Colaiste Stiofan Naofa) or Dublin (Balleyfermot College of Further Education) next September.

Therefore, I’m wondering if there is anyone here that has done the performance arts / sound engineering courses in these places. I visited Balleyfermot all right but Cork doesn’t have an opening day. Each course is 2 years long but they’re a little different… For instance, the course in Balleyfermot is 2 full years of pure sound engineering where as Cork is 2 years of performing arts (which means music performance, engineering and song writing etc).

So, I’m Just looking for some advice as to which I should be more enthusiastic towards (which one is better?)

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭COOKSTER

Hi there,
    Firstly you need to give some info about why you want to do one of these courses. There are so many now offered that you should really consider them all. 2 years is a decent chunk of your life to give to a course that only touches briefly on the area you are most interested in.
    The course in Ballyfermot has a first year modules in electronics and Music Business which tend to be the stumbling blocks for most students as they are not as rock and roll as live sound or studio recording!
    Do these courses introduse you to Industry Professionals, these are the people who can get you placed in a real working environment? How many students graduate from Sound Engineering courses each year? Where have they found employment?
    FAS run some courses, I know of one good one in Tralee. There are also a number of private colleges that are city and guilds accredited like the Sound Training Centre in temple bar (they have an opening day in March- call Lee on 01-6709033), and Pulse. STC runs dedicated courses in Studio Recording, Live Sound, Multimedia and Music Technology, as well as part time courses in the above areas. There is a course in Bray that is similar to the course in Ballyfermot.
    So decide what you need to get from the course. Ask yourself that question that pain in the ass teachers always ask "where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years time"? Find out what people who are working in this area have done to get there. Be under no illusion that 2 years on any of these courses is a guarantee that you will get a job. I get an average of 2 CV's a week as well as endless requests from people looking for work experience. If you can start gaining experience and gathering information straight away about your desired field. Maybe you know someone that you can do an apprenticeship type placement with and see if you like the work. Most people when they finish one of these courses should be prepared to work for free or very little to gain experience for anything up to 2 years. even then there are no guarentees.
    Hope this is of help. Be confident, but be aware of the real world and the area you are getting into, how many jobs in this field have you seen in the newspaper in the last year?
    Best of Luck
    C;)

Advertisement