Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of mask should I get...

• 19-02-2006 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

I will soon have my Trainee Diver cert, and want to buy my own equipment. The club is providing all the scuba gear, I have my own wetsuit.

All I need to buy is a new mask/snorkel/fins.

What type of mask should I buy. ie. There's Silicone and some other one. I know that one is better quality and more flexable than the other... Anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks guys/gals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Hi John,
    First of all, its whatever your comfortable with on the day.
    Silicone tend to be softer thus offering more comfort and better fit, the harder plastic's tend to be more troublesome. You'll probally want a "low volume" mask, this means that the amount of water in the mask (if it floods) will be as small as possible and easier to clear, you can also get "high volume" masks and these tend to have one big lens which I think are more popular with photographers (anyone??).

When you go into the shop, before anyone comes to help you pick up a mask that feels soft & you like, through the strap in front of the lens and push the mask up to your face (keep your hair out of th way) and push in hard so the air inside the mask is squezzed out and see if the mask sticks to your face, if it does your onto a winner if not then try some other ones. Some people have feirce trouble getting a mask to fit, others (like me:D ) seem to just fit all masks.

Try some of masks of people in your club and get a feel for it & all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Agreed with everything Paddy Diver has to say, but also look out for visibility and peripheral vision - some masks limit your field of vision far more than others. So when you have a selection of fitting masks, compare the view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks guys,
    I'm familar with the vision side of things alright, my only confusion was which had the softer surrounds... Silicone it is :)

I bought a cheapo one (25quid for mask and snorkel) locally just to complete the Trainee Diver snorkels, it was one of the more 'plasticy' surrounds, and it was horrible, uncomfortable, getting caught in my hair etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭nitroboy

Dont forget to make sure it has a double seal and tempered glass. the glass will either have tempered written on it or a little T printed on it. If you have a small face get a small mask as those big ones will just leak otherwise. Also once you try it out in a pool alot of places wont return it, had awful trouble one time with that so be sure it fits real snug.
    :v:

Advertisement