Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What the hell happened to good car names??????

Options
  • 19-02-2006 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I ask you is this what we want to be saddled with?

Ford Focus
    Chevrolet Captiva
    Fiat Sedici
    Skoda Roomster
    Nissan Note
    Kia Picanto
    Perodua Nippa
    Daewoo Lacetti
    Suzuki Baleno
    Mitsubishi Carisma
    Proton Impian
    Hyundai Elantra
    SsangYong Kyron

Bring back the days when a car model actually suggested something tangible
    like a place, person or feeling.

Capri, Cortina, Muira, Vantage, Monte Carlo, Thunderbird, Corvette, Eldorado, Gran Torino, Sprint, Esprit etc. Maybe its me getting old and nostalgic but I dont't think so.

Its the flippin' corporate bean counters looking for a name that invokes nothing so it can't offend anyone in any language or culture.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Fiat 3P, datsun 120Y, Hilman Hunter, Anglia,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Ah, I miss the Toyota Cedric. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I agree with the OP, modern car names are rubbish.

The best names came from the American muscle car era, where many cars were named after wild animals.......

Ford Mustang
    Plymouth Barracuda
    Chevy Corvette Stingray
    Ford Thunderbird
    ...so on so forth

There was the Hyundai Pony.......but let no-one ever speak of it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote:
    Focus,Captiva,Sedici,Roomster,Note,Picanto,Nippa,Lacetti,Baleno,Carisma,Impian,Elantra,Kyron
    mike65 wrote:
    I ask you is this what we want to be saddled with?

How's that so much worse than
    mike65 wrote:
    Capri, Cortina, Muira, Vantage, Monte Carlo, Thunderbird, Corvette, Eldorado, Gran Torino, Sprint, Esprit

I'd pass on the above naming game. Just sack all those overpaid marketing execs

355, 911, 750 or 560 and all the others will do just fine with me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

What the hell is a "Perodua Nippa"?? Sounds like a disease of the wobbly bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

mike65 wrote:
    Bring back the days when a car model actually suggested something tangible
    like a place, person or feeling.

Cortina

Curtains?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I think the "cool" names are preserved for the more expensive cars. The probably spend more money coming up with the names:

Viper, Diablo, NSX, DB9, etc.

All are steps in the right direction. I supposed its to do with the "marketing personalitiy" they want to associate with the car. Would you really feel right about this.

"Announcing the new compact car from Toyota. Running an efficient 1 litre 3- cylinder variable timing engine, delivering 60 MPG while generating an impressive 65 bhp. Emmission comply with stringent EU laws..... the car is to be known as the Toyota Viper"

Just doesn't work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I agree with the OP, modern car names are rubbish.

The best names came from the American muscle car era, where many cars were named after wild animals.......

Ford Mustang
    Plymouth Barracuda
    Chevy Corvette Stingray
    Ford Thunderbird
    ...so on so forth

..........I agree ! I have been wondering the same thing for a long time !
    Certainly those placenames sound far more glamorous than anything we have over here, if we had a car industry that is !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I dunno...I think I'd choose a 'Ballydahob' over an 'Eldorado' any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Naming cars after winds is cool but all the decent ones are taken -
    Mistral, Khamsin, Karif, Bora, Ghibli, Shamal, Scirocco, Vento, Passat, Zephyr, Zonda. One's that are left include Lips, Williwaw and Loo which would well suit anything from Korea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

yeah the names of some of the cars today are wierd, however i dont think the focus is a bad name.
    The roomster, note etc, is just pants.

Sure i wouldnt be supprised if i did hear a Kia Pants or the nissan Whippit or the Fiat Bombster :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I think mike is just getting old....:p

Nah names like Hillman avenger, Opel Manta, great names not like the crap we get now

Advertisement