Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP or XBOX 360?

Options
  • 19-02-2006 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

My birthdays comin up and im thinkin of gettin one of these. I just cant decide!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

360, if u cant wait for ps3 bey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Definitely go for the xbox 360, the psp is a nice little system but you'll grow tired of it fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Two very different choices there really. The 360 is definitely the better choice unless you think you'd play the psp away from home a lot. I play my psp in college a lot, its the only place I play it in fact. At home I have better machines and outside/on buses I'm too paranoid to take out my PSP :)

By far the best thing about PSP is wireless multiplayer GTA, if you know some people with the game it'd be well worth getting into it. But the 360 has a far more interesting existing and upcoming games library right now. I'd only recommend the 360 if you can go online with it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

simple solution is get yourself onto a website of some description and take a peek at the releases coming up. then decide on what games you'll actually end up buying

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

having just bought a 360 a few days ago I cant recommend it high enough, it really is a great machine, get yourself cod2, pgr3 & doa4 then hook ur broadband up and download for free demos of quake 4 (online mulitplayer demo), condemed demo, Kameo demo, Fight Night 3 Demo, Need for speed most wanted demo and if your into sports titles get the sport demos too.. then go to Xbox Live Arcade and get the demos from that and you'll be busy for weeks on end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Gonzo wrote:
    having just bought a 360 a few days ago I cant recommend it high enough, it really is a great machine, get yourself cod2, pgr3 & doa4 then hook ur broadband up and download for free demos of quake 4 (online mulitplayer demo), condemed demo, Kameo demo, Fight Night 3 Demo, Need for speed most wanted demo and if your into sports titles get the sport demos too.. then go to Xbox Live Arcade and get the demos from that and you'll be busy for weeks on end.

nothing but junk out for the PSP, with poor battery life, xbox 360 has some ok stuff but live is where its at, but if you can wait go for PS3, its a proper media center aswells as an uber games machine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

stev2604 wrote:
    My birthdays comin up and im thinkin of gettin one of these. I just cant decide!!

get a 360, some of the decent games are comming out soon anyway in march such as oblivion, dead rising etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

TBH neither at the moment. If I had to pick one it would be the PSP since it has decent games on it unlike the Xbox 360 and the potential for homebrew is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

The DS is a much better handheld than the PSP, the PSP only really has graphics on it's side. PSP is just rehashes of PS2 games with more jaggies and worse framerates(At least from what I've seen).

If you have to choose between the two, get the 360 for sure. And anyone who thinks the PS3 is going to be a viable console is kidding themselves. It's going to cost $800 to make at last estimates, and has almost nothing but flashier sequels, and most of what we've seen of that has been prerenderred; or in MGS's case, using the games graphics engine but with none of the other code running to slow it down.

They could very well be out of the next generation, and it will end up being Microsoft Vs. Nintendo, with the PS3 as the underdog, and with MS on top obviously(and possibly unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

360 ftw. Specially if you like online multiplayer, and by the time ps3 is out, the 360 will have a killer library of excellent games, but atm, 360 isnt so hot, wait a few weeks... march has some great titles out on it! (ghosts3, fight night, elder scrols)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Neither, tbh. But if you must buy one, buy the Xbox360.

Is anyone else feeling unimpressed by all these next gen consoles? To me, they offer nothing different, apart from the Revolution, but that will be gimmicky I tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Wickla in Blaa

Neither at the mo' wait for the PS3 then decide which between the 360 and Ps3 depending on games available (IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Xbox 360. I have both and its online gaming is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

so basically the x360 is what the ps2 was when the original xbox was released.
    tbh, its hard to tell, if you like the xbox then go for it, if you like the psp then go for that.

I have a psp myself and some of the games are good, but it does tend to have a somewhat toilet value (play it on the loo) if you dont get games your gonna play again and again. and the homebrew rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

neither

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems to be a few decent games heading for the PSP soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Seems to be a few decent games heading for the PSP soon.

Ditto for the 360.

kaimera wrote:
    Ditto for the 360.

Looks like the same boring american action games that plagued the xbox tbh. Only thing I'm looking forward to are the two mistwalker games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

Rozie wrote:

If you have to choose between the two, get the 360 for sure. And anyone who thinks the PS3 is going to be a viable console is kidding themselves. It's going to cost $800 to make at last estimates, and has almost nothing but flashier sequels, and most of what we've seen of that has been prerenderred; or in MGS's case, using the games graphics engine but with none of the other code running to slow it down.

They could very well be out of the next generation, and it will end up being Microsoft Vs. Nintendo, with the PS3 as the underdog, and with MS on top obviously(and possibly unfortunately).

HAHAHAHA!!! I laugh at the thought.

I'd personally wait for the PS3 to come out. But if not I'd go for the PSP, though if you have the stuff X360 is great live, it's completely up to you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Can't say yes or no on the 360, but defo don't get a PSP. Mine was the dogs b0llix when first purchased, but grew tiring very quick. I convinced a guy in work to buy one too, and he wants to get rid of it now. Mine was sold a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

delly wrote:
    Can't say yes or no on the 360, but defo don't get a PSP. Mine was the dogs b0llix when first purchased, but grew tiring very quick. I convinced a guy in work to buy one too, and he wants to get rid of it now. Mine was sold a while back.

Well said. I get far more use out of my DS than my PSP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Neither, I had a PSP and it was riddled with dead pixels, I have a 360 and am seriously underwhelmed by what I've played and seen so far (Perfect Dark Zero?, jesus christ what a **** game).... get a Nintendo DS instead, I've played my brothers since launch and I've never had as much fun with a console..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Again, neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

Gizzard wrote:
    nothing but junk out for the PSP, with poor battery life, xbox 360 has some ok stuff but live is where its at, but if you can wait go for PS3, its a proper media center aswells as an uber games machine

junk?

suppose what you like, but pro evo and gta do me grand for ages, and with football manager 206 coming out, what more do you expect

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you don't play a ton of games on your PC the 360 is a decent purchase even at the mo, COD2, Kong, Project Gotham 3, Need 4 Speed Most Wanted and King Kong are all worth purchasing. As for the near future Morrowind, the Outfit, Test Drive Unlimited and Prey are all shortly to arrive so plenty to look forward to also. The online marketplace is great as well, Geometry Wars Evolved and Mutant Storm are well worth the few euro.
    PSP, I had one and got really really bored, really really quickly.
    It at the bottom of my backpack and just glowed wasted money, €250 to sit there and play rehashes of PS2 games I already own, so it had to go, got a DS again, I sold my first one to buy the PSP!, much happier now!
    Heck If you don't have one buy a Gamecube, should only cost the price of a 360 game and there are plenty of great games out there really cheaply, Gamestop in Santry are stocking them again preowned. Get a machine and a copy of Metroid and Metroid Prime, that should shake the cobwebs out of your head!

Advertisement