Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reccomend a "fun" 2 Seater

Options
  • 20-02-2006 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

Ok. looking to sell the Passsat and get somthing a bit preppier before we get too old!

Criteria:

1) Budget up to 4.5K (yup, not much I know!)
    2) Engine no more than 1.6L, normally aspirated
    3) Not too much hassle to get insured on.

Ideally a T top or convertible of some description. Importing from Japan is an option, we were considering an MX5 as they "seem" to be reliable and they are RWD.

Any suggestions or caveats for cars folks?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

MX-5. No real alternative. The 1.8 is a better bet however.

Look for a/c, abs, a hard top, and alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

MX 5
    Having the option of a CRX Del Sol or an MX5 some years ago, i choose the wrong one.
    I am looking at buying an MX5 now and putting the wrong right.

The CRX was terrible, posser value only, MX5 is a better drive imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

okay, well it looks like possibly an MX 5 then.

A classic would be great but its going to be a daily runner for my wife. Also we will be transfererring our insurance from the Passat over.

Looking on honestjohn.co.uk, it seems that 1.6 MX5's after 1995 (Ie fitted with cats) produce a measly 88BHP. Thats pretty pathetic for a twin cam. Even our 8v 1.6 Passat produces 90! The MX 5 is about 400KG lighter though.

Any thoughts on MR2's?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Have a look around for a MG Midget with a K-Series conversion. Go on, you know it mocks sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mk1 MR2's are great. 1600cc and rwd. Quite rare now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I recently sold a Honda Beat. They're great fun, but very hard to come by in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

it seems that 1.6 MX5's after 1995 (Ie fitted with cats) produce a measly 88BHP.

Only the UK-version MX5s had 88hp - if you go for an imported MX5 (ie. a Eunos), all the cars up to '93 had a 115hp engine (that version of the '5 was pretty light though). In '94 they all had the 1.8 engine with between 130 and 133hp (the car gained weight though).

Forget about the UK-spec 88hp 1.6, it's a dog. Whether you go for an earlier 1.6 or a later 1.8, it's pretty much the same. The 1.8s have more brace bars etc underneath (hence the weight) and would get my vote. Apparently there's a big insurance difference between 1.6 and 1.8, though, you'd better check that out first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Any thoughts on MR2's?

I think the Mk II (import only, not convertible) and Mk III (roadster) are out of your price range. Also, they have bigger engines than 1.6l. A Mk I will be pretty hard to find.

For what it's worth, I love my roadster and chose it over the MX-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

A Mk II CRX is within your budget. Although there's a bench in the back, it is a two-seater for all intents and purposes. €4.5K would get you a decent import VTEC model. They're quick, chuckable and very reliable. They're not really related to the Del Sol at all, either! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

MX5 - my only problem with them is that I don't fit in them!!! A couple of my friends have them, though, and reckon they're great fun to drive. Also, I've never heard of one to give a lot of mechanical trouble.

Ive driven a del sol quite a bit. Its an okay car, the VTEC noise is nice, but the drive is going to the wrong wheels ;)

What are the main differences between a given Del Sol and a CRX?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Suzuki Cappucino, if you can find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Ive driven a del sol quite a bit. Its an okay car, the VTEC noise is nice, but the drive is going to the wrong wheels ;)

What are the main differences between a given Del Sol and a CRX?

A CRX can handle. A Del Sol has a chassis like a wet cardboard box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Suzuki Cappucino, if you can find one.

Tend to be dear. About 6-8k from the ones I've seen. The MX5 is a better car. The Cappucino would be cheaper to run though. Another choice is a Mrk1 MR2 out handles everything else. Hard to find a clean one though. Ditto the CRX.

BTW don't worry about speed, its not that important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

I'm going to slyly pop my head in to say my mum is selling her crx delsol for €4950. Details can be found here ;)
    It is a stunner of a car that I myself would buy if it only had the space to carry a drum kit!! ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

i was in the same boat and wanted something fun before i got old. I went for an MGTF 160 and boy was it the best purchase ever. Have a look at a second hand MGF

the cappucino and Honda Beat are a bit too small for my liking.

Ive had a quick look in Japan for MK1 MR2's and they are quite rare, also I think I may have trouble getting insured on somthing that "old"

Ill look into CRX's a bit more, altough I still have my reservations about FWD. I did find the Del Sol prone to flex under hard cornering, but still a positve enough turn in with not too much understeer under power.

@ drummerboy, thanks for the heads up, but to be honest the mileage and price is a bit higher than what I am looking at in Japan, including shipping VRT & VAT etc. Although my the Del Sol is somewhat sentimental to my wife as her deceased step father had one, so you might get lucky!

So, its looking like:

1) MX5
    2) MR2 (if I can get a 1.6MkI)
    3) Civic Del Sol
    4) CRX
    5) MGTF 160 (I have no idea about year/pricing so ill have to look into it)
    Robbo:

Have a look around for a MG Midget with a K-Series conversion. Go on, you know it mocks sense.

Havent a clue where to start, any suggestions? Maybe Niall still has his ;)

TF would be way out of your budget but would blow all the other cars you have mentioned off the road. You might be able to get an MGF within your budget though and both are rear wheel drive so fun all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

TCP/IP wrote:
    TF would be way out of your budget but would blow all the other cars you have mentioned off the road.

Put down the crack pipe and step away from the veh-hi-cle.:)

MGs are notoriously unreliable cars. And I don't think an MG can touch an MX-5 or an MR2 (any variety) in terms of performance.

I do like the look of them, though. If only they weren't MGs.

• Advertisement

Mate the TF160 is quicker than a golf GTI 0-60 and would leave any of these cars for dead. I do really like and MX5 but the MG is a proper 2 seater sports car and it has heritage as well. The latter models of the TF are top notch

Now now folks dont turn this into a pi$$ing competition :)

If I had a choice id probably go MGF as the MX5 is fairly underpowered. Mid engine and RWD is ideal. But alas, its out of budget. However the MX5 looks good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

TCP/IP wrote:
    MG has heritage
    :rolleyes:
    yes, but this has two seats and heritage but that doesn't make it any good...

What about a Suzuki Cappucino?

'cptr

TCP/IP wrote:
    Mate the TF160 is quicker than a golf GTI 0-60 and would leave any of these cars for dead. I do really like and MX5 but the MG is a proper 2 seater sports car and it has heritage as well. The latter models of the TF are top notch
    Not wanting to get into a pi$$ing contest either, but there's no way it would leave a CRX "for dead" except in the cost of buying it! They have almost identical BHP and 0-60 specs.

only 0-60 info i could find for the CRX is below

http://www.crxsi.com/specs.htm

SI model 8.5 seconds 0-60 i know the vetec would be quicker TF160 0-60 in 6.9

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/MGTF/mgtf05.html

The CRX could be gotten for a lot cheaper though and would go forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

I also bought an MX5 (1.6) over the other options... still have it 7 years later with no plans to sell... best buy I ever made.

Steve

I agree Steve the MX5 is a great little car and perfectly within budget for thes guy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

'98 1.8i MX-5 owner here. In the family since 2000, most likely to be passed down to the kids in "however many" years' time - and only by inheritance :D

TCP/IP wrote:
    only 0-60 info i could find for the CRX is below

http://www.crxsi.com/specs.htm

SI model 8.5 seconds 0-60 i know the vetec would be quicker TF160 0-60 in 6.9

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/MGTF/mgtf05.html

The CRX could be gotten for a lot cheaper though and would go forever.
    Those are figures for the US version, which was a different beast to the European and Japanese models. The VTEC model will do 0-60 in a shade over 7 seconds. Even the non-VTEC Jap/EU will hit sixty in under 7.5 seconds

Some specs here

• Advertisement

Nice info blastman well TF wins on speed and looks CRX wins on price

Advertisement