Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reccomend a "fun" 2 Seater

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Bear the OP's budget in mind, lads.

That would be early MGFs (no 'T'), and these were plagued with issues. Notoriously so.

[can't believe I'm saying this (but be fair to OP and consider everything)]

What about an early (real-early) Beemer Z3?

[/can't believe I'm saying this (but be fair to OP and consider everything) :D ]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

TCP/IP wrote:
    Nice info blastman well TF wins on speed and looks CRX wins on price
    And reliability. And looks are subjective. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

god man the crx is shocking looking but the thing the MG and the CRX have is there is not a lot of them on the road so it might stand out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

Well I just thought I'd give my opinion too!

Like I said earlier we (my mum) have a crx delsol so I can give a pretty decent summary of what they are like to own and drive. We're selling it because my mum has just bought a '98 MX5. So I can also give a pretty good comparison of both.

Both cars are pretty much the same size, although when sitting in each the MX5 feels like a much smaller car. The cockpit of the crx feels like it has much more space and loads of leg room. The factory fitted bucket seats also have you sitting closer to the ground, adding to the sports car feel.

Storage space. If it's a car that you or your wife plan to use as an everyday sort of thing storage space may become an issue. The MX5 has a boot the size of a glovebox! While you probably will fit your grocery shopping in the boot anything more than a few bags and your passengers walking. ;) You could never fit a decent sized suitcase in the back of the MX5. You'd get a sports bag in the boot. The crx has a surprisingly large boot, partly due to the fact that this is where the hardtop is stored (without disrupting boot space). It also has two lockable glovebox sized enclosures behind each seat. Plus the usual centre console conpartment and regular glovebox.

Drive. To be fair to the MX5 I've only really driven the crx. Been out in the MX5 twice for sort trips down the road. First impressions, MX5 feels like a tighter car. It's a more powerful car but only just (we've a 1.6) but surprisingly doesn't feel as smooth on the road. MX5 being RWD and the CRX being FWD, all down to personal taste really.

Looks. These are completely subjective. Both are lovely looking cars, when kept in good nick. My own take on things would be that the MX5 would be a slightly more femine looking car and are unfortunatle a dime a dozen. The crx delsol is a lot less common on the road. I have found that it does turn a lot of heads and people are usually surprised to find out it's only a "Honda".

Parts. It goes without saying that the MX5 is the better option here.

Cost. MX5 tends to be the more expensive car but look through any car mag and you'll see they tend to keep a respectable value over the years. CRX, there never seems to be too many for sale and they are expensive enough for the year. But if you get a good one you'll have no problems at all. Jap cars are great like that.

Problems. Can't say anything about the MX5, we've just got it! CRX wise, I've heard that the ones with the electric retractable roof can be unreliable to the point where I wouldn't go near one. Can you imagine trying to get parts for that! €€€ We had one problem with our crx. The seal on the front drivers side alloy wheel started to leak. Three different garages couldn't figure this out. They were the original alloys that were on the car, so they were replaced and no problems at all since. It's been a super realible car.

Summary.
    If it was me buying, I'd look for a good crx delsol out of the two. But that's just down to my personal tastes. I like the fact that there are not too many delsol's on the road and it feels great to drive.

Other options.
    MR2's can be tough to find a good one at the right price. Insurance and road tax are high.
    MGF, haven't heard anything good about them. But they do look great :) Only MG I'd go after would be a MGB/GT, but again thats personal taste.

Hope some of the above helps. :)
    A

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

MGB/GT now that is a beautiful could even be line for classic car insurance and tax as well good post drummerboy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

we have a car each, I have an ibiza any my wife drives the Passat. I cover more miles hence the ibiza is more economical.

We bought the passat when it was our only car so it needed to be big. Now we are looking to replace it.

A classic would be nice alright but I dont think we have enough NCB to get a policy, also It means that we have to drop either my own or my wife's policy to suit.

So, the MX5 is still leading, we are with hibernian and got a quote of 1189 fully comp for both of us (both 25yrs) for a 1.6 model. Its basically another 99 on top of our price for the Passat. An import would need to be checked with them first, so ill need to seek more advice there as they have a specific list of cars/variants that they can insure seemingly.

Seems to be plenty of fans for the MX5, the MR2 would be nice, im not sure how easy they are to get in 1.6L form though. Ive heard rust can be an issue for them, is this true.

Any resources for MX5's & MR2's that you guys could reccomend. Also, any ideas on where/how I can go about sealing the underside of an import?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Any resources for MX5's & MR2's that you guys could reccomend. Also, any ideas on where/how I can go about sealing the underside of an import?

If you're after a Mk I MR2, try this place:

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/

They seem to have quite a few ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Everything you need to know is on that site. Yes MR2 can rust around the rear wheel arches. Its an old car now. The latest one will be '91 thats 15yrs old.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Another vote for the MX-5. A pleasure to drive, bulletproof mechanicals, plenty of enthusiasts around and cheap parts for things like new hoods / rear windows. Some useful buying information here:
    http://www.clubi.ie/webcars/roadster.htm

The MGFs / TFs are very good looking cars but are notorious for head gasket failures (http://shame.4mg.com/) while the mid engine layout makes them difficult and expensive to work on. Having said that, some people have retrofitted revised designs / temperature sensors which seem to cure the head gasket issue.

Slightly O/T, but you'd get a lot more car for your money if you could go up in engine size - have you considered an Alfa GTV or Fiat Coupe? (Not two seaters, but they might as well be - the rear seats are tiny.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

For MX5 resources, all you need is here: www.mx5ireland.com

If you want to see some '5s close up & personal, we meet on the first wednesday of every month (next meet is 1st March)

I'm an MX5 owner, so I can't claim to be un-biased (especially on the subject of MGFs *Head gaskets, cough*)

Try out a few of the cars on your list and find out what tickles the seat of your pants. If you're looking at sports cars, the only true way to decide what you want is to drive them - different strokes for different folks.

M.

• Advertisement

mmenarry wrote:
    If you want to see some '5s close up & personal, we meet on the first wednesday of every month (next meet is 1st March)

Yup, ill probably pay a visit to that.
    mmenarry wrote:
    Try out a few of the cars on your list and find out what tickles the seat of your pants. If you're looking at sports cars, the only true way to decide what you want is to drive them - different strokes for different folks

Yea, ive been looking on CBG and so on, soo ill probably take a spin in a MX5. Im not too keen on the Mk1 MR2. It sounds like a hoot, but it looks like an absolute theft magnet.

TJM wrote:
    have you considered an Alfa GTV or Fiat Coupe? (Not two seaters, but they might as well be - the rear seats are tiny.)

Id consider an alfa of some description alright, but we are stuck to a 1.6 under hibernian's Ignition scheme :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

As much as I love MX5s (I have a 1.8 turbo and can't imagine ever wanting to part with it by choice) I just want to correct something that was said earlier about classics & insurance etc. Getting a classic insured as your main car is one thing, but it is *much* easier to insure a classic as a second car.

That is, you keep your main car as "daily driver" and just use your classic up to a limited mileage (usually 4,000 miles per annum). Cost ? About €175 for the year. That's for a recognised classic car > 20 yrs old.

But, it usually will be a weekend car unless you're a gear-head, seeing as classics take a bit more looking after, need more concentration to drive, and are also a bit more draughty compared to a modern motor.

I have a '75 Stag too - bit of a project as it needs lots done - so am speaking from experience here on the insurance thing.

I'd advise you two things: if you want a daily driver, get an MX5. Just read what was written by Top Gear etc - it's the best British sports car that was never made in Britain; best handling car in its class (and puts more expensive cars to shame). And the second thing: if you want more of a weekend car, get an early 70's MGB convertible.

My '5: http://mx5ireland.com/members/frank/wheels
    My current Stag: http://mx5ireland.com/stag/hvv416n
    My previous Stag: http://mx5ireland.com/stag

@frank, when I looked into classic insurance last year, I was told we needed X years NCB. We currently have none :(

@ambro25 a Z3 is WAY over budget!

Anyway, ive come across some interesting, but luckily rare crankshaft issues with the early MX5's (90-91). Im almost certain ill bring one in from Japan, unless one is selling here for a reasonable price, so far they are not IMO.

Im looking at this one landed in ireland including Shipping\Insurance\VRT\Landing Fee\Duty and VAT of 4500 (depending on exhange rate). Its a 92 with 56K Km on the clock. It has uprated suspension which appeals to me, although ill have to speak with Hibernian about it:

[members.boards.ie is down, so I have attached the images]

Its a good friend of mine who referred it to me, so im happy enough with the authenticity of it. The paintjob I like, but a respray always raises questions doesnt it....

Whats the story with the NCT on these, the earlier ones, IE the one I want (116BHP) have no cat. Im assuming this is an issue for NCT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

@ambro25 a Z3 is WAY over budget!

They are also slower than an MX5, unless you go for the 3L version.

Anyway, ive come across some interesting, but luckily rare crankshaft issues with the early MX5's (90-91).

The "short nosed cranks" are easy to spot, but should only cause a problem if incorrectly handled when changing the timing belt.
    Im almost certain ill bring one in from Japan, unless one is selling here for a reasonable price, so far they are not IMO.

They do hold their value, don't they! ;)

Whats the story with the NCT on these, the earlier ones, IE the one I want (116BHP) have no cat. Im assuming this is an issue for NCT?

All MX5's came with catalytic converters. If your chosen car is pre-94, then it's not a problem, there is no legal requirement for a CAT. My car (a 93) had it's last NCT a year ago (no cat). It would have passed the emissions tests for a 99 car!

Michael

Z4 is lovely (apart from it's ar$e end), but doesn't the remit

Z3 is awful to drive - you really need to try one out. It's based on the 3-series compact platform so is a bit of a compromise. Guess someone might say it's "not a real sports car" (which was also said earlier of the MX5, am I'm still trying to figure out why is isn't - not enough cup holders maybe ? No, perhaps because it's reliable...:) )

MX5 - as Michael says, even the short-nose-crank (1990 and 1991 models) engined '5s are nothing to worry about. Find out when the timing belt was done - if more than 12,000 miles ago, it's fine as any problems with misfitting the belt would have shown by now. Rust was mentioned too, but it's really only a problem with UK cars (mine is showing the problem) as salt from the roads gets under the paint on the sills and bubbles them. "Wheeler Dealers" on TV dealt with rust on the windscreen surround on an MX5 - I have never heard or seen that problem before.

Only things really to watch for on the '5 are the differential (the 1.6 diff can get noisy when worn, the 1.8 diff is bigger and bullet-proof). Poor servicing of the brakes can lead to sticky rear calipers which makes the handbrake stick. Not difficult to repair though (calipers are £120). Vinyl roofs shrink over time, but are quite cheap to replace (£200 to buy, another £200 to fit)

all great advice folks. Also read about the weak 1.6 diffs, rest assured I will bust one. That miata site is fantastic.

Should I try to get a 1.8 diff or any other spares shipped with the car? Cupholders maybe?

See if you can get a set of standard suspension/shock/springs if the car you're looking at has Bilsteins (rock hard) as you may want to swap them in at some stage.

Also see if you can get some decent rollbars or stylebars for the back shelf - everyone seems to want them; even if you don't use them yourself, you'll easily sell them on.

The piece de resistance: if you can get the black plastic (ABS) spoiler that goes *under* the front bumper, those are big money over here (250EUR or more). Get some of those cheap, sell them on. Easy money :D And if you fit one to your own car, you will solve a sometimes-problem with the MX5 whereby when it's going fast (>80mph) the front end gets very light since the car itself is light, and fast-moving air is going under the car.

cool, ill look into that.

Anyone got some laptimes for the national circuit @ Mondello.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

If you're interested in the CRX MK2, I'm on my 2nd and I've been driving them for nearly 5 years now.

A MK2 VTEC (SiR) is hard to find and you will spend at least 4.5K. They are rare as hens teeth. 160BHP and 1000KG = :) Get one with LSD and ABS if you can.

The non-VTEC 1.6 (Si) is almost as fast as it's lighter, but no LSD and it redlined a full 1000rpm sooner. Still a great car. 130BHP

Be ware of the 1.5x though - dual carb engine making 105bhp. Light as flip but underpowered.

Yes it has FWD, but if thats not an issue they are fantastic fun. They stick to the road like **** on a blanket. And the VTEC will show a clean pair of heels to many cars (including the MG) on the bends.

http://www.cr-x.org/home/forum/default.asp Is an Irish based forum and we're reasonably active and all very friendly!

stimpson wrote:
    If you're interested in the CRX MK2, I'm on my 2nd and I've been driving them for nearly 5 years now.

Are those the ones with the glass hatchback ? And prior to that had the same hatchback but will less glass ? If so, they're *great*. Pocket rockets. Mate back in Belfast had one - an absolute hoot that was. He had a '78 Mini before that with a 1-litre engine and to him it was a natural progression from the Mini to the CRX as they handled similarly (if you know Minis, you'll know what I mean - go-cart stuff), but the CRX was like the big-boy's toy.

• Advertisement

Yes it has FWD, but if thats not an issue they are fantastic fun. They stick to the road like **** on a blanket. And the VTEC will show a clean pair of heels to many cars (including the MG) on the bends.

Funny you me and one other person are the only ones I have heard use the shizz to a blanket analogy.

My wife would like the CRX as it is like the one she has in the states. I could well belive you can have fun in one. Im a fan of oversteer so RWD (Right Wheel Drive!) suits me. Of course you can get lift off or handbrake induced oversteer with the crx, but its not the same. LSD in the CRX appeals though.

That said, I will test drive one if I can. Im worried that a VTEC might be an issue for insurance. If I go CRX, its VTEC or nuffin! Can you get CRX's with removable roofs, or is that what makes it a Del Sol?

BTW I have to signup for your forums *shakes fist*

[edit] just looking at CRX's on carzone, jeeze they hold their value. VRT is heafty too [/edit]

Yeah, It's not too insurace friendly - I'm paying 1400 fully comp on the VTEC and I'm 32. Worth every penny.

I know what you mean about RWD. When I was buying the VTEC I seriously considered the MX-5. I don't regret my decision, but when I decide to mothball the CRX to hand down to my children, an MX-5 is a strong possibility.

The convertible is the DelSol. Great cars too, but they have extra weight (especially if you get the electric roof) and aren't stiff enough when the roof is down. If you do go for a DelSol VTEC, make sure it's and SiR or a VT ( it's the 1.6DOHC VTEC that makes 160bhp) There is a non VTEC 1.6 and a VTEC 1.5.

And yeah - they do hold their value. I got mine for 3K 2 years ago and have turned down offers of 5K.

BTW I have to signup for your forums *shakes fist*

Yeah, I just wanted a banner saying "No Riff-Raff" but I got out voted :D

stimpson wrote:
    The convertible is the DelSol. Great cars too, but they have extra weight (especially if you get the electric roof) and aren't stiff enough when the roof is down.

Surely there is aftermarket chassis bracing to rectify that. The fun of a convertible makes the extra expense worth it, IMHO.

Yeah, I'm sure it could be done. The biggest problem is that it's built on the Civic platform. I believe the MX-5 was built to be a convertable from the ground up so that would be my choice if I wanted the wind in my hair.

Or maybe an S2000 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 knox1664

I'd choose the CRX over the '5 to be honest if it's "fun" you're looking for... Feels more like a sports and it'd scare the $hit out of you if you pushed hard enough

However, My choice over any other (car, not just two seaters) would be:

http://www.lassen.co.nz/uk/caterham1.jpg

I plan for my whole 30s/40s/50s to revolve around this and cant wait to some day get my hands on a decent one. A beautiful piece of Automotive technology!

stimpson wrote:
    Yeah, I'm sure it could be done. The biggest problem is that it's built on the Civic platform. I believe the MX-5 was built to be a convertable from the ground up so that would be my choice if I wanted the wind in my hair.

Or maybe an S2000 :)

I'm afraid you missed the correct answer:

black.jpg

But thank you for playing. We have some lovely parting gifts.:D

A lotus-7 type car would be great, but insurance is not going to happen :(

knox1664 wrote:
    I'd choose the CRX over the '5 to be honest if it's "fun" you're looking for... Feels more like a sports and it'd scare the $hit out of you if you pushed hard enough

heh heh - reason for that could be the rear drum-brakes on the CRX ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

By the way, if you need cheap insurance on the '5 (from Hibernian) PM me ;)

Steve

Advertisement