Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reccomend a "fun" 2 Seater

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

knox1664 wrote:
    I'd choose the CRX over the '5 to be honest if it's "fun" you're looking for... Feels more like a sports and it'd scare the $hit out of you if you pushed hard enough
    QUOTE]

LOL did he really say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

really the answer to this question is obvious when you think that Mazda sold thousands of MX5's and are still making them to this day. There is umpteen clubs and associations for this car and they are regularly featured in best handling cars tests still and won numerous awards for handling too.

Crap cars (unless very eccentric) generally do not get this type of following.

Is there as big a club scene or fan base for the CRX Del Sol or MG (F that is), I doubt it?
    Can that many people be wrong ?

And really just because a car is a bit faster in a straight line does not mean its better, faster, or as much fun as a well balanced sports car.

I am biased because: of the 17 or so cars I have had the CRX Del Sol probably promised the most and missed the remit by the widest margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Rob, that's because you bought the wrong one!!

stimpson, I'm trying to work out who you are on cr-x.org, give us a clue. :D

franksm, only the 1.5 CRX had rear drum brakes, the oher models have discs all round.

SouperComputer, your wife won't recognise the CRX here compared to the US version she had. The US never got the VTEC version and even the Si (the most powerful version they had) made less power than the 16V here. The only thing she'll have to worry about is the crick in her neck she'll get from looking back at all the other cars mentioned here! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

In fairness the insurance killed off the 2nd gen CRX. Just thinking about it opens the locks. The 3rd Gen Del Sol was lumbered with a big heavy roof, big hole in the body shell because of the roof. So no stiffness in the structure and handling was compromised both by the weight and the lack of stiffness. Even the interior of the Del Sols isn't as good as the 2nd gen. The other point is that Honda's are expensive. Parts are expensive etc, Honda Dealers are expensive.

Whereas the Mx5 was cheaper to insure, was a classic sports car layout, RWD etc., and stupid simple and cheap to fix. When the Mx5 came out there was nothing else on the market like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I was in the same boat as the OP this time last year, I wanted a fun & reliable second car for under €5K.

After alot of research, I drew pretty much the same conclusions as RobAMerc. The MX5 has bee consistantly hailed as the best small roadster around. And this has been the case, undisputed since the car waslaunched in 1989.

Actually, what car magazine voted the newest version Convertible of the Year, beating off the Porsche Boxster ad the Merk SLK.

It is deffo NOT the fastest, but that doesn't even enter into it. I am so happy with it.

M2C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I'm also in this market.
    I'm going for the MGF 1.8VVC.
    Once you find one with a full MG/Rover service history the head gasket and coolant issues will have been reworked by them as part of the service.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Dre great choice but if you can afford it go for the TF also check out http://forums.mg-rover.org/ for great info

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

franksm wrote:
    heh heh - reason for that could be the rear drum-brakes on the CRX ;)

Thats the 1.5x. Si and SiR have discs all round and ABS as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

blastman wrote:
    SouperComputer, your wife won't recognise the CRX here compared to the US version she had. The US never got the VTEC version and even the Si (the most powerful version they had) made less power than the 16V here.

Im guessing the one in the US is imported so. Its definately a VTEC as I remeber being puzzled by it myself. Says VTEC on the camcover, says VTEC on the documentation, sounds like a VTEC and goes like one ;)

Well like someone said, ill have to drive them and see which I prefer. Id say id go for the MX5, again RWD being one of the main reasons, although the grunt of the VTEC would be nice. Id say on a lap of mondello they would be close enough. 0-60 and such, im not really interested in a lap of a given circuit is a better comparison.

In fairness the insurance killed off the 2nd gen CRX. Just thinking about it opens the locks. The 3rd Gen Del Sol was lumbered with a big heavy roof, big hole in the body shell because of the roof. So no stiffness in the structure and handling was compromised both by the weight and the lack of stiffness. Even the interior of the Del Sols isn't as good as the 2nd gen. The other point is that Honda's are expensive. Parts are expensive etc, Honda Dealers are expensive.

Whereas the Mx5 was cheaper to insure, was a classic sports car layout, RWD etc., and stupid simple and cheap to fix. When the Mx5 came out there was nothing else on the market like it.

Honda may be expensive but they generally don't go wrong. My first rex did 200000KM+ with nothing more than regular servicing and was still in great nick when I sold it. My current one is at 195K and I've just changed the timing belt and water pump - thats all the big work done for a long while and it was €450 from a reputable back street mechanic.There is a huge aftermarket industry also.

I doubt the insurance is going to vary much on any of the cars listed above. At the end of the day you won't go wrong with the MX-5 or the CR-X - just get a well loved one and look after it.

• Advertisement

Im guessing the one in the US is imported so. Its definately a VTEC as I remeber being puzzled by it myself. Says VTEC on the camcover, says VTEC on the documentation, sounds like a VTEC and goes like one ;)

Yeah - engine swaps are big in the states. You can easily stick a B18C from the Integra type R for 195bhp. One of the Cork lads on cr-x.org is putting a K20 (from the RSX - 220bhp) into an Si shell. Now thats a lot of car!

If you're talking about who I think you're talking about, he's from Galway :)

So you aren't him, eh?

Oh yeah, you're probably right. I loose track sometimes.

No I'm not him, and I'd rather keep up an air of mystery ;) Are you on the forum then???

Yep, under a different name there as well, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

Well finally got a picture up of the delsol my mum is selling. if you still looking it's here. Will be adding more pic's if it stops raining tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Have to give the MX5 a big thumbs up! Us it as a daily driver and its great FUN on track days and club runs!

Mine's a '91 jap import (no previous Irish owners) with 190K and I've had it 6 years and have never regretted it! Best decision I ever mad, I was on the verge of buying a new "sensible" family car, and decided what the hell, I'd get a '5 for a year or two, before I get married and start thinking about a family etc. I'm now married with 2 children and my only regret is not having enough time to engineer a mounting mechanism for a second baby seat to allow me go on more runs!!

Depreciation over the years I've owned it is negligible, especially considering how a new "sensible" family car would have depreciated.

That’s my 2c worth!

Just as an example of how reliable the crx is, I had my NCT yesterday - I thought it was next week and hadn't serviced the car yet.

It passed with the exception of one of the indicator mountings (which just needs a bit of superglue to sort) The emissions were well under the limits. Not bad for a 15 year old car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

stimpson wrote:
    Just as an example of how reliable the crx is, I had my NCT yesterday - I thought it was next week and hadn't serviced the car yet.

It passed with the exception of one of the indicator mountings (which just needs a bit of superglue to sort) The emissions were well under the limits. Not bad for a 15 year old car.

Yup, you can't fault the japanese for reliabilty. My MX5 had its NCT last Feb. I changed the oil, plugs & filter prior to sending it in, on the basis "well, they can tell me what needs doing"

It failed. Needed a 50cent bulb for the number plate holder at the rear! :p
    Everything else spot on.

It has had the cat bypassed (i.e. no more cat, just a straight pipe).
    On emissions, it would have passed the (far tougher limits) tests for a 99 reg car.

12 years old, and still my daily driver.

Gawd bless her cotton socks!

Michael

I just noticed this on ebay, and while I reckon you should not by it and get an MX5 this may be worth a look, I reckon about 4k back here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-HONDA-CRX-ESI-1-6-VTEC-not-grey-import_W0QQitemZ4615288657QQcategoryZ18206QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rob

RobAMerc wrote:
    I just noticed this on ebay, and while I reckon you should not by it and get an MX5 this may be worth a look, I reckon about 4k back here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-HONDA-CRX-ESI-1-6-VTEC-not-grey-import_W0QQitemZ4615288657QQcategoryZ18206QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rob

Yea, its not a bad deal. The auction is a mess though!

2000 GBP 2939euro
    VAT 617
    VRT 1139

Total €4695, not to shabby.

• Advertisement

Vat ???

I don't think vat has to be paid on this, vrt yes.

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hmm, guys be careful here.

The car is filthy dirty, he hasn't even hoovered the carpets or washed it, would you try and sell your own car this way?

Wouldn't touch this with a bargepole.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    Hmm, guys be careful here.

The car is filthy dirty, he hasn't even hoovered the carpets or washed it, would you try and sell your own car this way?

Wouldn't touch this with a bargepole.

I didnt look that closely TBH. In any case I wouldnt be buying a car unless I or someone I know/trust gave it a once over ;)
    robamerc wrote:
    VAT I don't think vat has to be paid on this, vrt yes.

Not sure what the situation would be on this myself. Assuming its a private sale Id say the authorites will still charge IRL VAT. Can anybody confirm this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Optimus

Dr. Dre wrote:
    I'm also in this market.
    I'm going for the MGF 1.8VVC.
    Once you find one with a full MG/Rover service history the head gasket and coolant issues will have been reworked by them as part of the service.
    MGF's are absolutely HORRIBLE cars. Your are absolutetly pissing your money away on that car. They look grand but in reality, they arnt. Check unbiased car forums and ask about them. You will always get the same response.

Nope, no vat, its coming from inside the EU and more than 6 months old.

I didn't look at that car too closely tbh I just pasted the link in, I did actually advise not to buy it, they are not up to much imo.

Rob

I had to edit this thread because of an embarrassing typo, ambro25 its typing lessons I need, but I will still look at the sticky ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Can I recommend the 'Importing from the UK' stickie? :)

(you also, especially, RobAMerc ;):D )

The 6-months VRT exemption rule applies if you have been owning the car more than 6 months and you have been living overseas during this period of ownership.

The 6-months VAT 'scam' applies (mostly) on nearly new cars which are bought VAT-free at less than 6 months old and over 6,000 miles on the clock.

Under EU rules and IRL/UK reciprocity under EU rules, VAT is only to be paid once, either when the car is bought new by an non-business end-user, or when the car has first been bought by a business and VAt reclaimed in the process, whereby VAT is charged when the car is eventually sold second-hand to a non-business end-user.

In summary,

(i) you will not have to pay any VAT.

(ii) you will have to pay VRT.

:)

how about an "import from Japan" sticky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Optimus wrote:
    MGF's are absolutely HORRIBLE cars. Your are absolutetly pissing your money away on that car. They look grand but in reality, they arnt. Check unbiased car forums and ask about them. You will always get the same response.
    "They look grand but in reality, they arnt."
    I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to disagree with you, which I do- STRONGLY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Dr. Dre wrote:
    "They look grand but in reality, they arnt."
    I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to disagree with you, which I do- STRONGLY.

I might be putting words into the OP's mouth, but I think he might be trying to say "fat arse"!

The MGF is well designed, apart from having a fat arse, but in reality, they don't deliver. Handling is nowhere near as good as it should be for the layout.

The general build quality leaves a lot to be desired. And the HGF *cannot* be discounted - numerous owners have had the problem reoccur, even through the dealers during the warranty period.

M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Volcano

If your lucky you may get your hands on a real sports car for that price, scrapped only though im afriad ;)

elise1.jpg?0.5774916720667971

Advertisement