Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reccomend a "fun" 2 Seater

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Volcano wrote:
    If your lucky you may get your hands on a real sports car for that price, scrapped only though im afriad ;)

elise1.jpg?0.5774916720667971

LOL, but its over 1.6L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

mmenarry wrote:
    I might be putting words into the OP's mouth, but I think he might be trying to say "fat arse"!

The MGF is well designed, apart from having a fat arse, but in reality, they don't deliver. Handling is nowhere near as good as it should be for the layout.

The general build quality leaves a lot to be desired. And the HGF *cannot* be discounted - numerous owners have had the problem reoccur, even through the dealers during the warranty period.

As the original poster suggested: any independent review of the MGF or TF against the obvious competition (MX5, MR2) always puts it in last place. Poorer handling, poorer reliability. Even the TF 160 is only a fraction of a second faster in the straight (if that) as the extra power is offset by the extra weight relative to the other two; but it's miles slower if the road has curves in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Volcano wrote:
    If your lucky you may get your hands on a real sports car for that price, scrapped only though im afriad ;)

elise1.jpg?0.5774916720667971

Christ, I thought the handling was so good on these babies they are uncrashable :) Obviously not, ouch !!
    Ambro25 - cheers for pointing that out, I have put things right now, stupid keyboard

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I have a TF160 and if you were so inclined you would leave any of the cars mentioned here for dead if you so wanted. As stated before the Vtec version of the Honda is nearly as quick but as mentioned before is rarer than hens teeth. I still think for the thread starter a MX5 would be the way to go. Maybe even a Jap import if he could get it for cheap money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

with all this talk about which is quicker............. Theres a track day in mondello soon ;)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

hell yeah great idea should get a load of boards people to meet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

TCP/IP wrote:
    As stated before the Vtec version of the Honda is nearly as quick

OK your dreaming - it's all about power to weight, the honda B series motor in the CRX is the B16A - the least powerful of the B engines with 160bhp - same as the TF160. However, the CRX is 100 kilos lighter - around 10%.

Plus the CRX has double wishbones all around. And it's a coupe, so it's going to be stiffer than a convertable. You might keep up on the straights, but you'd be left behind though the bends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

While on this thread - a while back, a poster gave me a very useful contact for insurance renewal for my MX-5 by pm. I've since misplaced (duh!-me) the info and I really could do with it now.

I'm with Tesco, €714 fully-comp for 'under 5000 miles' on a '98 1.8 at renewal (09/03). Posted about it a short while back, I though this was good, but I was going to try & reduce that further with dropping the mileage to 'under 1,000' (and I'm sure I'll struggle to drive half of that anyhow).

I have done so since, but they're at bottom and won't budge - so could do with 'pointers' from fellow MX-5ers out there, on the off chance :)

...and by the sound of the posts (and the rarity of Lotuses over here), sounds like Elise-bashing is out and MG-bashing is in this season ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

I think it was probably Steve who sent you the info - the insurer was probably Hibernian (they seem to be very '5 friendly)

As regards what's faster/grippier than an MX5? Lots of cars out there. Doesn't mean that they're better......

http://www.japmobiles.com/news/news_detail.asp?id=140

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

PM sent earlier

• Advertisement

And received with much thanks, and a beer whenever the chance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

ambro25 wrote:
    And received with much thanks, and a beer whenever the chance :)

Oy ! Am I getting 10% of Steve's beer (and not the froth) since I facilitated things ? :D

You are if the contact beats €714 - at least by a couple of beer's worth :D

...but then again I might not be so lucky though, as Tesco use Hibernian to underwrite their policies, so I'd be asking Hibs for the second time, really. Oh well, I'd never know if I don't ask, eh?! I'll be calling the contact 'morrow AM ;)

Advertisement