Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any broadband providers without caps?

• 20-02-2006 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

I hate having to watch how much i download even though i probably wouldn't get charged for going over my cap. Do you think ISP will eventually do away with caps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yeah it's a bloody nuisance, especially if you've 2 or 3 comps connected to the one line.

it sorta defeats the purpose of having great speeds if you have a limit on how much you can download. the internet should be the autobahn of communications!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

no cap on smart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Smart have a cap:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 gireland

Esat BT Business DSL don't have a cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I have ESAT BT+ any chance they'll get rid of the cap anytime soon. I would pay an extra €10 per month for no cap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 shamage

I hate having to watch how much i download even though i probably wouldn't get charged for going over my cap. Do you think ISP will eventually do away with caps?

There are plenty of ISP's out there that offer a service without a cap. Just not at the price point you want to pay. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

IBB Breeze has an uncapped 2mb connection for €48, but its only good if you are one of the few people like me who actually get a very good line. :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Beecher wrote:
    IBB Breeze has an uncapped 2mb connection for €48, but its only good if you are one of the few people like me who actually get a very good line. :v:

its like the national lottery ! it could be you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Any residential "uncapped" product is subject to AUP, which implies a cap. If you genuinely want an uncapped product, you're going to have to pay.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Drapper wrote:
    its like the national lottery ! it could be you

Ha true! And it is me!

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
    Connection is:: 1682 Kbps about 1.7 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)
    Download Speed is:: 205 kB/s
    Tested From:: http://testmy.net (server1)
    Test Time:: Fri Feb 17 2006 12:58:40 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)
    Bottom Line:: 30X faster than 56K 1MB download in 5 sec
    Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 235.06 % faster than the average for host (99.225)
    Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-0D9L7VU5B

Usually do get 200 - 250 kB/s which is great on an uncapped service (got around 8 gigs of stuff yesterday) :v:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

digitaldr wrote:
    Smart have a cap:D
    lol

I'm on Irish Broadband 2Mb package too. No cap. No connectivity problems in months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

ciaranfo wrote:
    lol

I'm on Irish Broadband 2Mb package too. No cap. No connectivity problems in months.

2 lotto winners!! congrats lads!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Recently I noticed that UTV have an option to pay €7 extra fro uncapped access, there say some restrictions apply like you might be throtled during peak times but they say that is between 5pm and 11pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I probably should be playing the lotto too, because I called IBB about my crap connection yesterday and they had it fixed within 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Wish I could win the Lotto that mattered .. but as the joke goes, I need to buy a ticket first :)

As for IBB sorting something out within 24 hours, that's winning the lottery 3 weeks running! They won't even reply to me on the costs of upgrading my package :D

Advertisement