Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freebird Records?

Options
  • 20-02-2006 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

I was out with a friend of mine and we were talking about music. I mentioned I liked looking in the secound hand cds. He then went on about how he disliked going in to Freebird. He just hated the place is it just me who likes it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

I was out with a friend of mine and we were talking about music. I mentioned I liked looking in the secound hand cds. He then went on about how he disliked going in to Freebird. He just hated the place is it just me who likes it?

used to be a favourite of mine. the one under "the bus stop" near o connell bridge is still good but the one in the secret bookstore just up from tower records is just a dumping ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

oh man Freebird

I used to go there when they were in Grafton Street (upstairs)

dead cool - one guy was called Des and he used to give me free singles on the Apple label because 1. the shop was cool 2. I was a broke schoolkid and 3. nobody else wanted them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Downstairs on eden quay is quite annoying.. constantly having to watch my head wandering around the shop :) Great for finding new releases on labels though.. used to always pick up new ninjatune and warp stuff in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

have gotten a few gems there over the years......as much as i hate one of the blokes that works there "i might aswell just jump in the liffey"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I used to go to the one on Grafton Street as well, punks hanging around outside looking for "10p" from passers-by. Ah, the sh1t 80s....

I think there's something a bit seemy about the premises and the owners so I prefer to go to Abbey Discs for a more hygienic variation on the same theme.

Or ebay TBH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frank Cronin

Met one of the original shop owners - now runs a music stall in Blackrock market at the weekends. It rocked in it's day - even if you had to pay in and out to the punks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Met one of the original shop owners - now runs a music stall in Blackrock market at the weekends. It rocked in it's day - even if you had to pay in and out to the punks!
    Strange I thought I read an article saying te original owner still owns it and only recently split with the other original owner whom owns Dublin City Discs now. AS I wasn't around in the day I am not sure but it is still owned by at least one original owner

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Secret Book and Record Store was far better before it was Freebird. Used to get all sorts of weird and wonderful things. Now it just blows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Freebird below the bus stop is ok
    well apart from the time I got a 20 minute leacture about how great a particular label was when I boght an LP there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

shabbyroad wrote:
    oh man Freebird

I used to go there when they were in Grafton Street (upstairs)
    Oh man, happy days. They were never the same when they moved.

I used to have a small record stall in Temple Bar Market (before it became "Temple Bar"). I remember the original record shop in Eden Quay were selling out their stock before Freebird moved in and in their last few days were knocking out all their new LP's for a quid each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Des is the original owner and still owns it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DermotN

Des and Brian were the original owners. Des is no longer involved; he has a stall in Blackrock Market.

Brian still runs the shop.

Dermot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

ive been shopping in freebird for about 12 years now,, and its brilliant for bootlegs and rare cds,, cant beat it.

Advertisement