Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone used my mobile number to buy a 3v voucher

Options
  • 20-02-2006 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Got a text message aboit half an hour ago from 3v thanking me for purchasing a 3v voucher, goving the expiry and ccv2 details. Thing is I didn't buy one. I think someone has registered my mobile to get one.

Should I be concerned by this at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Sounds like somebody typed in the wrong number - they probably have quite a similar one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ring your mobile network, what do they say ?

is it on your account pre or post pay ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Post pay, I am on 3

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Surely 3v require you to first confirm your mobile number (with a verification check), and then to log in, so it shouldn't be possible to simply type in a digit wrong?

Does the 3v website have an account section where you can see your past purchases? Have you ordered a voucher ages ago, and are only getting the tetx now, etc etc?

I do use 3v vouchers but I use an old prepay 086 sim for getting the texts.

You do not need to verify any of your details to use the service. You can if you wanted use completly false details, email address and dodgy prepaid mobile number any off you go on your nafarious activities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Surely just ring 3V and give them all the details so they can hopefully track the correct user - or at least be aware that that user provided the wrong mobile number if they ring up complaining!

I'd say give them a buzz. I'm assuming you don't need the info in the text to actually use the voucher?

You do Seamus. The text gives you the expiry date and the cvv2 number which is often asked for.

?
    Weird. Does it get charged to your mobile number then? If so, how can they charge without verification that you own the number?

Nothing is charged to the mobile. The mobile is just a means of delivering the security info.
    You go into the shop with your card and they issue a voucher similar to phone credit with the 16 digit visa card on it. At the same time the expiry date and 3 digit code are sent to your phone. Nothing needs verification at all you could use false details to buy dodgy stuff and you will be untraceable.

Anyways I rang 3v and they said it was a simple computer error, so no harm was done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement