Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup Quarter-Final Draw

• 20-02-2006 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

The draw for the quarter-finals of the FA Cup takes place at 1325 GMT on Monday, with all 10 of the remaining teams hailing from the Premiership.

West Ham versus Bolton and Aston Villa against Manchester City are the only fifth-round ties to be decided after the respective goalless and 1-1 draws.

Chelsea are the favourites for the competition after surviving a scare against League One outfit Colchester.

You can follow the draw live on BBC2, Five Live, Ceefax and the BBC website.

Liverpool, Charlton, Newcastle, Birmingham and Middlesbrough are the other teams awaiting the draw.

Rafael Benitez's Liverpool defeated Manchester United 1-0 - their first FA Cup win over the men from Old Trafford in 85 years.

Newcastle, Birmingham and Middlesbrough saw off opposition from the Championship.

Southampton pushed Newcastle hard but lost 1-0, while Yakubu was the difference at Deepdale as Boro beat Preston 2-0.

Birmingham had a difficult afternoon at Stoke on Sunday but emerged 1-0 winners.

Charlton won 3-1 at home to League One side Brentford, who had defeated Premiership opposition in the shape of Sunderland in the previous round.

1 Middlesbrough
    2 Newcastle United
    3 Aston Villa or Manchester City
    4 Chelsea
    5 Charlton Athletic
    6 Liverpool
    7 Bolton Wanderers or West Ham United
    8 Birmingham City

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/fa_cup/4730356.stm

Can be watched live from the BBC website apparently, for those of you stuck in work/college.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Midweek games, no replays for teams still in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I want Newcastle to win it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

must be a while since all teams were PL -

Chelsea and Liverpool are going to be drawn against each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Will Souness get some sort of reward for that? Be it financial or otherwise?

If so, I hope they crash out. If not, I too hope they win.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Will Souness get some sort of reward for that? Be it financial or otherwise?

If so, I hope they crash out. If not, I too hope they win.

I wouldnt even care about that joke of a manager! just want the fans of Newcastle to get some reward and of course Given, don't give 2 f**ks about Shearer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I want Newcastle to get to the final and loose, unfortunately it won't be united to beat them this year, but i'll live with somebody else beating them. It will mean that Given will finally move to a club that is near his level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Charlton Athletic v Middlesbrough
    Aston Villa or Manchester City v Bolton Wanderers or West Ham United

Chelsea v Newcastle United

Birmingham City v Liverpool

Ties to be played on 20-23 March

avoided Liverpool so chelsea are happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Cheerio Newcastle. At least once Chelsea end their hopes this time, we wont have to hear the incessant babbling about Shearer/Fa Cup/Fans etc etc etc

gimmick wrote:
    Cheerio Newcastle. At least once Chelsea end their hopes this time, we wont have to hear the incessant babbling about Shearer/Fa Cup/Fans etc etc etc

Chelsea said that last season and looked what happened? and this year Newcastle have got rid of Souness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Am I right in thinking Birmingham are the only English team Liverpool have not beaten under Benitez?? If they are not the "only", they are one of the very few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

id like bolton mancity or west ham to win tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Tuesday, 07 March 2006
    West Ham v Bolton, 19:45

Wednesday, 08 March 2006
    Man City v Aston Villa, 19:45

Tuesday, 21 March 2006
    Aston Villa/Man City v Bolton/West Ham, 19:45
    Birmingham v Liverpool, 19:45
    Charlton v Middlesbrough, 19:45
    Chelsea v Newcastle, 19:45

COME ON THE CHELSEA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Soby wrote:
    Tuesday, 07 March 2006
    West Ham v Bolton, 19:45

Wednesday, 08 March 2006
    Man City v Aston Villa, 19:45

Tuesday, 21 March 2006
    Aston Villa/Man City v Bolton/West Ham, 19:45
    Birmingham v Liverpool, 19:45
    Charlton v Middlesbrough, 19:45
    Chelsea v Newcastle, 19:45

COME ON THE CHELSEA!

Theres no way all the quarter finals will take place on the Tuesday at the same time for tv reasons. They'll probably be spread from Tuesday to Thursday with 3 games shown live.

Possibly,
    Charlton v Boro on Tuesday
    Chelsea v Newcastle on Wednesday (Chelsea play following Sat at noon so wont be on Thurs)
    Birmingham v Liverpool on Thursday
    4th game decided after replays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Am I right in thinking Birmingham are the only English team Liverpool have not beaten under Benitez?? If they are not the "only", they are one of the very few.
    Yeah I think they're the last team now. They will fancy their chances at St. Andrews, but I'd still fancy Liverpool to go through.
    Newcastle, I thought they had a pretty decent chance...can't see them getting anything out of Chelsea at The Bridge, maybe a replay.
    I'd love to see the winner come out of the Bolton/West Ham replay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

has a chelsea liverool final written all over it!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Nunu wrote:
    Theres no way all the quarter finals will take place on the Tuesday at the same time for tv reasons. They'll probably be spread from Tuesday to Thursday with 3 games shown live.

Possibly,
    Charlton v Boro on Tuesday
    Chelsea v Newcastle on Wednesday (Chelsea play following Sat at noon so wont be on Thurs)
    Birmingham v Liverpool on Thursday
    4th game decided after replays

Chelsea play 3pm on 25th. Liverpool/Everton on Sky on Sat. 25th 12.45, so no chance of them playing Thursday, likely one of the games will be though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

anyone know how many games the bbc will be showing and when they announce which ones?

tbh, other than playing them at home, on paper, that looks the best draw pool could have gotten. would have preferred boro though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Hopefully Chelsea-Newcastle isnt a repeat of Last season
    But Mourinho wants it this Season and wont send out a rubbish team!
    i hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brum v Pool should be a good oppotunity to put that strange stat to bed. Looks like a Chelsea/Liverpool final...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Everybody is jumping to the conclusion that it will be a Liverpool/Chelsea final. This is the Cup remember, just because it looks that way on paper doesn't mean it will pan out that way :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The FA have just said Wemberly will not be ready (fancy!) so its the Millenium Staidium for one last time.

Mike.

what capacity is the new wembley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

90,000 apparently.
    The new design is for an all-seated capacity of 90,000 protected from the elements by a sliding roof. The stadium's signature feature will be a circular section lattice arch of 7 metre internal diameter with a 315 metre span, erected some 22° off true, and rising to 133 metres tall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wembley_Stadium#Redevelopment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

we knocked out chelsea last season and we had a way worse team last season and we were under souness. chelsea have been a bit iffy of late, ya never know if we could get a replay i think we can beat them at sjp! HOWAY THE LADS!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Im surprised to see that the Quarter Finals are supposedly being played midweek. I have a pretty bad memory so can someone tell me if this has happened before?

Kingp35 wrote:
    Im surprised to see that the Quarter Finals are supposedly being played midweek. I have a pretty bad memory so can someone tell me if this has happened before?

Always though weekend myself. Must be new because of the season finishing early for WC
    we knocked out chelsea last season and we had a way worse team last season and we were under souness. chelsea have been a bit iffy of late, ya never know if we could get a replay i think we can beat them at sjp! HOWAY THE LADS!

newcastle fans should hope they beat Barca, they might take there eye off the FA Cup if they have a chance at Champions League, resting player etc which they did last season which affected there performance against Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Soby wrote:
    Hopefully Chelsea-Newcastle isnt a repeat of Last season
    But Mourinho wants it this Season and wont send out a rubbish team!
    i hope!

hahha no matter what team the special prawn picks is a good team.....however the best players are Lampard,Terry and J cole...
    I'd love to see all 3 missing for a premiership game....colechester nearly beat em without the magic 3....

wow, i remember when cole couldn't get a game, now he's highly regarded

if chelsea had to go to st james i think newcastle would have a chance, but at the bridge unfortunately i see a chelsea win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The two wingers who won't be playing in the CL game will play against Newcastle, so I think Newcastles defense will have to deal with Duff(unfortunately) and SWP. Good luck :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement