Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lan Soc?

Options
  • 20-02-2006 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, Is there a lan sociey in ucd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Is that an Internet type soc? Like Netsoc? www.netsoc.com

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Usually it's either Gamesoc or Netsoc that organise the LAN parties, but given that the vast majority of the committees of both societies are being squished by 4th CS at the moment, it may be a little while before there's one on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

im talkin about just a dedicated lan club since netsoc and gamesoc hardly ever do them... like a weekly thing..!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Then the answer to your question is no. No there is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Even the LANs that were organised by GameSoc have had atrocious attendance, I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Well who on this board has a computer and interested. I am, but I remember last year we tried to have a lan (though mostly non gaming purposes) and it didnt work well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I feel I can speak for both NetSoc (as I'm one of their sysadmins) and for GameSoc (as I'm their webmaster). NetSoc is focused mainly on services. This is from the days when students weren't able to access the internet. NetSoc was created to provide internet access for students. Plus we have much more pressing issues right now. :(

GameSoc have ran LANs (we've done about 3 this year). Waltons is right, we would normally have about 5 people show up. Our main problem is that very few internet cafes are open all night. We can't use any UCD service overnight, since they are closed.

Though we are more than happy to run events, as Rainbow Kirby said, our rarest resource is people who can help organise stuff.

Advertisement